Lunar Death?

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by 1for1, Feb 24, 2013.

1. stackeract

stackeract New Member

Mouse 1/2oz and 2oz go for over 6 times spot...

2. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

^ I was referring to the 1oz sizes, all minted to 300,000/

3. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Member

We live in an ever changing day and age. The hot items burn brighter than they ever have, but they flicker out to a pile of ashes faster than they previously had. That might not be a good sign for the short term future of the series, but I think in the mid to longer term, there will be some new fire in this series.

In the end, I think Matthew is right, don't overdo you exposure to them.

The updated the mintage for the bullion dragons on Perth mint, and it's about what I expected, a lot....of all of them...

Dragon fatigue won't last forever, unless we all keep bitching and moaning about it....

4. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

well,just saw a snake typeset at the local PO..when was it released? 5 months ago...?..and also on gumtree for issue price...that tells me something....only dragons Im keeping ;)

RichardAL likes this.
  5. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

the idea of holding the coins for longer term may no longer work well! for the Lunars S2

the proof re-mint etc caused the price to be at issued, the premium was as good as ??? (this was for Mouse and Ox)

then we have a 6 coins 2 Oz Proof set... this caused the 3 coins proof to have much lower premium than previous market premium.

the premium on BU should not really take off, unless we have overwhelming demand or the set is come to completion.
    some people do stack them by the box. :(

could we have 3oz HR proof sets please :lol:

6. Staz

Staz Member

Not sure why this still gets so much discussion. PM is in the business of making as much money as they can (some will view that as ripping people off but chances are doing it to others themselves)....the fact that they overplayed their hand at some point is also equally unsurprising and also inevitable. People allow themselves to be taken advantage of UP to a point and then reality sets in and they start questioning their judgement on all fronts.

As that old song goes "you may win some but you just lost one". Suppliers and customers have a Relationship and its balancing act. If one side want to dig holes for themselves then suffer the consequences. Every time i've witnessed one side behaving with what others view and rampant greed or self-serving ways all i see is person or institution digging a hole themselves as they kill the relationship or turn the public or others against them.

7. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I could never see the excitement about lunars in the first place! Not being Chinese, not living anywhere the Chinese New Year was celebrated and not being into superstition they hold no interest to me.

While I was still coin collecting and not stacking I would see the lunars in the Post Office, looked at the bland design of a mouse, look at the price and just passed them by. I think there was a catalogue at the post office and I was flipping through it and I saw a coloured mouse with a gemstone eye and I remember thinking what a pathetic money grab the coin was (Probably worth a bit now).

It wasn't until the dragon came out that I bought some, I like dragons and the design was pretty good too. I got some 1oz snakes because they are ok too and they are limited edition in that size, they might have gone up in price and I was prepared to take the gamble.

But horses, goats, rabbits, cows, pigs etc. hold no interest for me either. If I was buying from the Perth Mint and I had the option I would probably stack the Lunars before the Kooks or Koalas but I rarely buy from the Mint and I am not collecting a set.

I have enough pretty coins now, I never look at them and I haven't resold any so I might just as well stack anonymous silver and save the premiums.

8. Matthew 26:14

The Lunars WERE a good buy (the bullion version) where their price was set the same over spot as a Kookaburra or Koala. But since the rabbit their premium has been set significantly higher than an Kook/Koala to the point where a 1oz bullion Lunar is up to spot +50%. At that premium, I dont see them as a good buy.

9. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Perth's 1oz silver bullion coins all the same price.

The 1oz Kookaburra, Koala and Lunar Snake have the same price.

The 10oz Kook, Koala and Snake have the same price.

The Kilo Kook and Snake have the same price, the Koala is cheaper.

The 1/2oz Koala and snake have the same price.

http://www.perthmintbullion.com/au/Buy-Silver-Bars/All-Silver-Bars.aspx

The Kookaburra and Koala 1oz coins are currently available at $35.10AUD spot is 28.60AUD / 29.87USD

10. Elemental

Elemental Active Member Silver Stacker

Interesting side note to this - the ANDA coin show is on in Perth this weekend and they are again producing the 2oz Perth Lunar coin show special (only 1,000 in this packaging). There was an absolute sh*tfight regaring the dragon last year. I wonder if it will be similar this year? My hypothesis is no, it won't. ANDA dragons were going for $600 last year on eBay, my predicition is the snake might get to $200 or $250 (purchase price of 170 or thereabouts)

I'm going to get a long and see about some high grade Perth mint sovereigns. Will I buy a snake? Maybe.

11. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The ANDA dragons WERE going for $600 on eBay last year, I gave in to temptation and got mine for about $265 off eBay once the prices came down a bit. Still too much in my opinion but that was the market price.

The Snakes, can't see that being very popular, or at least, not nearly as popular as the Dragons but with the limited numbers, you never know. If the queue wasn't too long it might be worth it :)

12. Holdfast

RichardAL likes this.
  13. Matthew 26:14

Maybe so direct from the mint but from online bullion dealers you're looking at least $1 more for the 1oz Snake than a Kook.

14. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Exactly.. before they sold for more straight off the bat they were good.. now we pay premiums for the current year so what was once the gem of the bullion world is now fallen back to overpriced mediocricy.

Its levelled up the playing field now to the extent that lunar-koala-kooks are all about the same.

Top point.. Matthew 26:14

1for1

15. Elemental

Elemental Active Member Silver Stacker

That seems to be missing the special ANDA packaging ;)

It's the same old argument, "why pay the premium for a proof" but I did manage to get an ANDA dragon last year and the profit from the sale was enough to buy a 10oz bar. I didn't hold on to the coin but it was worth buying because I knew I could on sell and increase my overall ounces.

16. Holdfast

It might have levelled up the price but the mintages are not level.

Limited mintage 300,000 lunars (Sold-out)

Limited mintage of 1,000,000 Kookaburra's (2013)

Unlimited mintage for the Koala's (That's a gamble - 2011 x 910,480 coins 2012 x 388,046 coins)

The BS with the 1oz Kookaburras has hurt that market.

I'll take a 1oz lunar with a limited mintage of 300,000 coins before I'd contemplate buying a Kook or Koala (I do own K&K's)

H

17. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

that much difference between the 2011 and 2012 koalas? wow

18. Deebsotronic

Deebsotronic Member Silver Stacker

Ah the importance of an extra '8' :rolleyes: Just had a look at the Perth Mint site, the 2012 mintage is 388,046 coins - still much lower than 2011 :)

19. argento

argento Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not dead, just dormant until the next release.

If you compare series I to series II, sales figures...series II has experience greater sales......so its pretty hard to say the series is dead when in fact its popularity is growing.

Base on series I, the year of the horse would appear to be another popular symbol amongst collectors , once again based on sales figures

The good thing about lunars is that you normally have a 3 month window of opportunity during each release to make a possible premium on current and previous year releases....."Lunar Hype Period" :)

Personally cant wait for series III........ nothing to worry about....keep collecting lunar bullion.....this is just my opinion :)

PS: I thought this post was about Lunars........not kooks and koala's ( just saying )

20. Matthew 26:14

I'd doubt the Koala will exceed the Kookaburra this year. If it does the Kookaburra would have to be a sellout of 1 million. I suspect the high 2011 figure for the koala would be due to the 300k kook limit being reached, the 300k lunar being reached so the demand spilled over into the Koalas.

With Kooks now at a 1 million mintage, there will need to a significant increase in demand for their to be a sellout.