Lunar Death?

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by 1for1, Feb 24, 2013.

1. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Is it fair to say the PM killed the lunar series..

I see the ox is now $50 each with no takers on SS sales thread..

this sub-forum hardly gets any posts.. there is no lunar snake buzz.

I totally blame it on the PM policy and the way they screwed the Dragon series every way til sunday...

Will it recover or time to dump as demand will continue to slide..

Bit of a bummer as i thought these would be a great investment.. it would of been if they were left alone but the mint messed with them!

sad

1for1

2. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

In time it will be forgotton here to a certain extent. I dont think the rest of the world has the same view as aussies & they are still in demand there.

If i was a coin collector i would take this opportunity to snap up the lunar bargains while it lasts

3. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hi Mate,

Yes the Ox is an example of a possible good buy.. however i dont see future lunars creating much of a buzz, especially given the multitude of specimens available.. i think they have drowned out demand with FAR too many offerings.. the PRIVY issues effectively doubled demand and creates downward pressure on the WHOLE SERIES as they issue cheaper with a LOWER mintage!

Ill stear clear of high premium PM product regardless of potential premiums i Expect (this is how i got wickedly burnt in the first place).. and ill stick with low premium bullion without the cases and supply side fishiness...

Im calling the series dead and dont expect any price appreciation for some time, its been nearly a year of backwards prices.. and i agree its mainly informed Australians that got mega pissed and created the price destruction but once the public become more informed the rest of the world will likely buy other product, in the long run though they may come good.

1for1

4. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I agree with reno. Maybe the lunar blues are just effecting some of the Aus stackers. Germany still likes them. This is an example:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-oz-Sil...67562?pt=Münzen_Medaillen&hash=item35c127a52a

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2008-5-O...90863823226?pt=AU_Bullion&hash=item43b8d5b97a

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-oz-Gol...40920?pt=Münzen_Medaillen&hash=item35c14d62b8

5. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

I think I would have to agree with you for the most part , I have dealt with the Aus lunar coins for many years , part of the decline is due to flat silver prices but for for the most part I think you are correct with milking the dragons to death and the shady mintage policies such as with the proofs and privies which has been covered here ad nauseam . I still think the first series will hold ground and the newer ones may get better in the future but for now it seems a downhill slide , they are still nice coins and good if you can get them close to spot. Another contributing factor is that so many other mints are now producing lunar coins starting with the dragon that is has become kind of boring in my opinion. For me the only lunar coins I will be buying at any premium are the Chinese Lunar coins , the only real Chinese zodiac coins , they are beautiful (both sides) well struck , nice packaging and very clear on the mintages. That is just my 2 cents ...

6. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

yeah,what is wrong with us? I remember when I signed there was hardly silver or gold close to spot or for spot...nowdays,there is no takers for them...

6-8 months ago I sold a roll of ox for $1200 in the blink of an eye...I cannot believe there is no takers for them today...hey 1for1,why dont you take it? :p:p

7. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

^^^^ he knows he wants to :lol:

8. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Well-Known Member

are the hype years all out of the way. horsey might get some interest from the horsey set.

9. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

there will be a market for the lower minted stuff like the 5 oz rabbits and dragons always

10. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The key dates to hold are the 1oz Mice, Ox, Tiger and Rabbit if you can source them at a good price.
    There is probably three times as many 1oz Dragons (privy, coloured, gilded, proofs) loitering in the market place damping down prices :(

RichardAL likes this.
  11. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

I am Looking forward to the "horsey" too..
    Cool posts here :D

12. scone

scone Active Member Silver Stacker

Not looking forward to the horse, my missus is a horsee woman and born in the year of the horse. That is going to hurt my pocket.

13. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

year after year we have more players in Lunar series field
    as well, there are more collectible items, which are rarer than perth mint's products with the price being reasonable

so, saying that, I'll be happy to add one tiger, ox, rabbit at $40 each :)

14. mightymatt

mightymatt Active Member

Anyone have a Series 1 1/2oz Dragon for sale. Will pay $50.00. Please PM me. Prefer F2F in Melbourne

Cheers,
    MM

15. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Is it fair to say the PM killed the lunar series..
    I see the ox is now $50 each with no takers on SS sales thread..

No not at all, there's a huge fan-base for Perth's Lunar coins.

I'd say, there's plenty of lunar stackers who have a fist full of coins but are waiting for spot to drop a little more before they top up.

Last time we had a pull-back, a few weak hands sold rolls of lunars cheaply, the same will happen again and... the lunar fans will be there to buy those lunars at discounted prices. :D

As for the Series 2 Ox, it has very good sales.

ebay sales period 05 Jan - 23 Feb 2013:

2009 AUSTRALIAN LUNAR YEAR OF THE OX 1 oz. SILVER COIN (Series 2)

23 Feb 2013 - $68.13
    09 Feb 2013 - $68.13
    02 Feb 2013 - $68.79
    02 Feb 2013 - $82.66
    26 Jan 2013 - $62.10
    19 Jan 2013 - $79.62
    17 Jan 2013 - $63.81
    15 Jan 2013 - $61.86
    13 Jan 2013 - $67.80
    12 Jan 2013 - $71.80
    11 Jan 2013 - $65.00
    05 Jan 2013 - $66.83
    05 Jan 2013 - $64.04
    05 Jan 2013 - $72.58

16. worldbubble

all those who wanted to buy the ox for collection for twice the spot - did it already ... price range on Ebay $54 and up ... to all those who expect the win from current price - good luck, but I doubt that the coins will bring that much in the future to justify current price ... better add $10 and get some MCC with better profit potential

17. stackeract

stackeract New Member

i think at the moment is definitely a good time to get some lunar bargains. Not many buyers. I think this is true in general, not just for lunars.

You should look at sold items not items still on offer. We also have some expensive lunar items for sale in Australia that no one is going to buy:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121070766610 :)

But the rare lunars are still selling very well ih Germany:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/1-2-OZ-999-Silber-Lunar-II-2009-Jahr-des-Ochsen-RAR-/321075108457
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/10-Unzen-Oz-...-Mouse-II-2008-selten-angeboten-/150997613310

18. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

$61.86 AUD and up.

Not sure where you guys get your figures from??? Maybe Blondes! :D :p

19. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

I think if you can buy ANY lunar coin for under spot $8 thats a good get. At present you can get the Snake for about $38 or so and I dont see that as a great bargain or a rip-off, just a fair market price. I have a handful but not looking to increase my exposure to the Lunar coins.

There also appears to be a maximum above spot that Lunar coins can fetch. The Series 1 coins show that with much smaller mintages than series 2, the series 1 high demand coins cant even fetch spot +100% at present. Seems to me that spot +150% is the maximum available to Series 1 coins.

With the higher mintage numbers of Series 2 Lunars, spot +100% might be the highest average price attainable.

20. worldbubble

lower extreme- $54 ;)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-AUSTRA...2316419?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item1c2eaf2c83