Future of General Discussion forum

Discussion in 'Forum News / Announcements' started by Administrator, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

Something went wrong there. I was not raising the point again ( don't want to!) but commenting on specifics raised by GP. - but I'm going to leave this totally alone now. For the record, there was no specific intent to provoke provoke anyone.

2. Tacrezod

Tacrezod Member

What? It's not a comment. It's a straightforward, genuine question. I don't see anything that needs discussing behind closed doors in "plain English". Just give me a link so I can educate myself.

3. Chilli

Chilli Member Silver Stacker

This has got to be one of the weirdest threads ever :|
    now if I could just find my compass, protractor and ruler.

4. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you insist ....... begin with any one of the 375 links on google that aren't associated with the occupation of being a projectionist, and are instead linked to human behaviour.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

:lol:

Sir/madam....I take my hat off to you (in a metaphorical sense) in that while 80% of me agrees with you that my time would be better spent doing other things rather than trolling folks' posts and uploading random pics or leaving links to favourite tunes on youtube I think it's HUMAN NATURE (Matrix would have a field day with that if he were still with us...it's a sort of ongoing 'joke' between us! :D ) to seek a little bit of escapism and entertainment from time to time.

Now I don't watch the telly and I don't play xbox games and the like and sometimes reading a book doesn't quite hit the spot but there were times I found the 'General Discussion' forum a good outlet to vent my spleen about some issues or just generally have a bit of fun coz, lets face it, we all take life a bit too serious at times.

Until fairly recently it seemed that one was able to participate in discussions without it getting overly personal or heated or downright malicious. However, sad as I would be to see the 'General Discussion' forum removed I can see why GP is considering it.

Also, I agree with Chilli that this thread has become somewhat bizarre, but if nothing else I suppose it just serves to illustrate why it may be necessary for GP to pull the plug on things. :|

6. Guest

Guest Guest

@ Tacrezod

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

I didn't think it was that hard to find. :|

7. unfunkable

unfunkable Active Member

What happened to matrix? Did he leave or get banned?

8. Tacrezod

Tacrezod Member

.... if you are already aware that the word "projectionistic" relates to the field of psychology.

"2. The term has to do with psychological theory. Psychology is spelt with a "p" not an "s" in case your having difficulty with a dictionary as well."

It took a while to get there, but now, thanks to Ladybird's helpful link and luckylukeonline's semi-abusive PM we can all be a little wiser.

9. Chilli

Chilli Member Silver Stacker

Thanks Ladybird and I agree, but I wouldn't like to see GD shut down. We all came here for PM's discussion but it is great to share a chat and/or an exchange of thoughts about other aspects of life for this is a crazy world we are living in, now if we could just work to keep it respectful. I hope you all have a good weekend. :)

10. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

I like cake.

11. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

+1

What he said ....

As i noted previously - NO SUBJECT should be taboo or off limits .... as long as it is discussed/approached in a respectful way.

While I am not overly religious, there are certain questions about some religions (Islam & Judaism) which I do have, and I personally think it is wonderful to have SS members who are passionate about their religion whom i could ask about these things. Yes - i suppose i could ask a "minister" of whatever religion, but i'd far rather ask somebody who i can identify with more - such as a fellow stacker ;)

I've already met a dam fine human being on SS who happens to be Muslim, and i'd share my dinner table with him anyday! ;)
    I'm sure i'll still meet a practising Jew as well ;)

Peace and tranquility to you all :cool:

12. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

I collect tropical fish

13. kaz

kaz New Member Silver Stacker

I collect books

and on school holidays kids, kids and more kids, that seem to come from every direction lol at least I know what my daughter is doing........

14. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

I collect antique musical instruments - had an 'antiques roadshow' moment when a beautiful Scandalli Accordion I bought for 100 pounds was valued at 3500 by an accordion dealer. Think I'll hold onto that one! :D

15. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

It's been proven time and time and time again though that this just can't be achieved - even in the Real Estate threads, which are on topic. SS is primarily a PMs, numismatics and investment website - which is why there's Real Estate, Stocks & Derivatives and Superannuation subforums, as they pertain to investment - and leveraging into real estate is part of many peoples' exit strategies for precious metals ownership. People can't even interact in those forums without having massive bustups.

Kitco is a shining example of what I don't want Silver Stackers becoming. It was never intended to be a "discuss anything" website, and frankly I don't want it to be (although there's an obvious convenience for members to not have to have accounts on multiple websites to have such wide-ranging discussions).

16. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Oooops :rolleyes:

17. Guest

Guest Guest

If you believe just being a 'stacker' makes you less bias or more knowledgable, I think you'll be sorely disappointed YKY.

Not all stackers think alike. In fact, many are not even stackers for the same reason.

Think of it more like the usual mix of people you'd find in any crowded room, who happen to have a common interest.

ie You'll likely have as much in common with many stackers fundamentally as you will with people in the cinema you go and see a star wars movie with, simply because you all happen to like George Lucas films.

My opinion on the RE content GP pertains to the fact investment in said market is made to have winners and losers, and the market exploits an essential commodity (shelter).

I would expect similar outbursts and disagreements if you had a 'medicine' or 'food' investment sub forum where you can charge people what the market would bear for these essentials as well.

We could debtate the specifics naturally, but that's the general context of the underlying discussion.

Predators and prey don't share a room and expect harmony.

That's the obvious conclusion why it all goes to hell more often than not.

I am developing a sense of detachment discussing these issues though in recent times, which isn't to say I haven't become insensitive to the topic (as I'm a forced renter), but rather I have seen these battlelines drawn time and again and no amount of finger pointing or name calling will change the status quo on the issue, nor the attitude of those who are profiting from the situation.

But I still remain highly critical of the subject, albiet in a more clinical tone.

18. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

Point taken GP.

My final word on the subject though is simply that the very broad subject of 'politics' is obviously in the firing line - but unfortunately this topic directly affects investments of all sorts including precious metals