Future of General Discussion forum

Discussion in 'Forum News / Announcements' started by Administrator, Sep 25, 2011.

1. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Fine Ozboy - calling Muhammad a pedophile amongst other things is what got you temporarily banned.

I presume you're referring to one of his wives who was 9 or 10 when they married. Such a label applied to what was a contemporary practice at that time in that culture has vastly different implications in today's society - and you deliberately used in in a manner to vilify a religion against forum rules, in a thread that had already had a request in to discontinue the heated religious debate that was occurring (this was the 9/11 thread).

I would have taken (and have in the past) the same action if such a slur was allied to Christianity or Judaism. Those conversations have NO PLACE on Silver Stackers.

That is what got you banned.

2. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

Unfortunately I cannot agree with some things you've said here. Needless to say I agree wholeheartedly that GP has created a PMs forum in SS without equal - and fully deserves the respect and admiration of every single person who uses the forum. I may not always be his favourite person :p but nonetheless if i saw GP standing by the side of the road I'd definately stop to help and would offer him to stay at my place for as long as he needed ;) (although he'd probably enjoy my wife's company more than mine :lol: )

anyway, getting a bit off topic here, but I do feel that SC did make some valid observations as well. The wholesale deletion of entire threads (as opposed to deleting individual posts) is a pity as there definately were many good posts there with links etc which were an education to say the least.

I am also very much in favour of "assistant" moderators being appointed to assist GP. I stand by my original point though that certain members (a very few) could not be trusted with such a task though as they have proven themselves over and over to be utter d!cks! and would certainly misuse admin authority if ever given such. I am confident though that the Boss would not appoint such people. nuff said

3. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

:lol:

I have a good sense of humour mate, so take that in the spirit intended.

Even if its a case of "many a truth is said in jest" - well you're still sh1t outa luck cos i'm just plain thick-skinned!! :lol: :lol:

4. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Well-Known Member

From memory GP started the forum because of all the rubbish that use to go on kitco. The rest probably just flowed on from that.

5. goldpanner

goldpanner New Member

GP - just enlist another moderate moderator for the GD thread and see how it goes.

This is an excellent site and I love the GD thread, the great majority of it is of interest to all of us, it is only a small minority who overstep the mark - like I said, 3 strikes and a permanent (or 6 month) ban would fix it! Some people just don't realise when they are being offensive.

You have to keep a bit of control or it will descend into too much personal abuse etc like most other forums! :rolleyes:
    - one thing I noticed on other forums, when there was an all out abusive flaming going on between two people it created more views than any other as I think a lot of people find it amusing! I think less use of the 'report' button unless something is really offensive would be a good policy.

We are a very diverse group and thats what makes it interesting! :D

6. goldpelican

That's already the plan - and I've been polling members privately for recommendations - it won't be a rushed decision.

7. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Yep i agree .Its a great place with some great people plenty of information on a wide variety of subject matter.Throw in a bit of humour the odd turdfight & voila!!! silverstackers. I would like to point out something that i dont think anyone has touched on & that the sheer amount of threads going at any one time.& the percentage of posts with problems would be well under 1% .So when you think about it there really isnt to many problems with the amount of people & topics covered ..

8. Silverthorn

I'd of thought that as well but it looks like there is more going on than I've seen so it must get wiped pretty quick. I've only seen the odd communist and idiot thrown around. ;)

9. goldpelican

Just ask me in person next time you see me rather than throwing it into the "kick Ben" thread with wording that implies something untoward is going on.

This thread was about the General Discussion forum - not about how Melbourne meetups are funded.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

I posted it publically BEN with my public name CHRISTIAN so my ideas could be publically scrutinised.
    You got the kick BEN thing all wrong address the points brought up and they go away.
    There's no bad consequences for saying hey maybe I could improve that.
    I'm happy to receive a slap on the back of the head from you,it won't change my positive opinion o SS.
    Ben both parts of my post and you have responded to the latter are valid topics for discussion,I'm not drawing pistols at 15 paces but rather drinking Brandy/smoking a cigar and rigorously debating at a club bar
    CHRISTIAN

11. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

GP glad to hear that you are taking opinions on who should moderate the GD forum so you can make an informed decision. If I may add some unsolicited advice, which may or may not have been taken into account.

Please don't announce which member is given moderation privy. Make a separate account as "MOD1" or similar so that they may assist you without being labeled by some small minds as bias and their moderation performance judged on it's own. The person would most likely be a significant/respected poster and it would be a shame to lose them in discussion(heated or not) because they feared they may have to suspend an account for breaching forum rules, which would obviously detract from the forum.

Just my thoughts.

12. goldpelican

Thanks Lovey80, that's also being considered, and is practice on more than a few forums.

I think that's one of the problems facing me - I'm not some faceless administrator stepping in with an anonymous account, I try to reserve the Administrator account for important announcement posts.

13. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

I personally dont believe that faceless moderators are a good idea at all. Like it or not - banning people from the forum could be abused. Knowing who the moderators are will go a long way in keeping things above board and retaining the confidence of posters.

14. renovator

I second that motion that way if they are in a discussion people can be themselves without thinking oh no "X " is here i better behave myself.The discussion will take its natural course then

15. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Isn't that already the case though... oh no GP is lurking, I better behave and not be a retard.

Don't see how the introduction of more moderators would do anything to change it unless you mean deliberately skirting around sensitive issues because it conflicts with a moderator's view? Then I can see where you're going :p

16. Silverthorn

Maybe that would be a good thing? I've noticed though that mods elsewhere tend not to post so that might suck a bit for someone using their own account.

17. renovator

GP rarely gets involved in discussion of topics just puts his 2c in then leaves. & yes we all know hes there but were not debating topics with him as might happen when there is another mod thats in the discussion

18. unfunkable

unfunkable Active Member

ummm....guys
    its not the topics that's being banned
    its the stuff inside being said that breaks rules/laws

its more of a headache to fix stuff then to prevent it

19. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

I highly doubt GP will be handing out full ban powers to new moderators willy nilly. I highly suspect they will have suspension powers and full bans will still be reviewed by GP. If even the suspension is unjustified GP can easily recind it. I think your previous indiscretions have you a little paranoid. Going by your recent posts, you have nothing to worry about mate.

20. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

The other side of looking at it is you wont know whose got the sniper rifle zoomed in on you either...
    The process should remain transparent in my view. Faceless moderators being judge, jury and executioner don't inspire confidence in the system IMHO