Future of General Discussion forum

Discussion in 'Forum News / Announcements' started by Administrator, Sep 25, 2011.

1. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

I also would agree that only PMs and directly related material is discussed on the forum.

For members not to stoop to lower levels and vilify and denigrate each other or religions and or races.

However if i see/read a certain religion or race being vilified, than it kinda seems to me that other religions or races can be discussed as well.

Certain material on this forum gets removed as if it were Nuclear Waste.

2. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

yes, but it also doesn't say

Silver Stackers: Discussion forum for one-dimensional people who only ever want to discuss precious metals

3. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

Not really off topic, but I sent a pm to a moderator a couple of days ago and hadn't heard back. Now I have a better understanding of the workloads involved, I'm not having to check updates as often. Having said that, I'm hoping that they( he. she) get back to me as the questions I raised are directly related to this topic. It potentially could save a lot of bother, and me a lot of typing.
    Cheers.

4. ReturnToZero

ReturnToZero New Member

Nice use of that word there mate :p

5. Smoothcriminal

Smoothcriminal New Member Silver Stacker

You've changed man you used to be all about the probes.......

6. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1

7. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

+1

8. Guest

Guest Guest

+1

Be sad to see the general discussion go because of un-tasteful comments and overly sensitive reactions by people.

9. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

I would actually disagree with the "overly sensitive reactions" comment - some of the stuff that gets pruned pretty quick is beyond the pale. Just doesn't hang around long enough for people to see it because I'm checking the forum so frequently during the day.

10. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

Some lurkers are compelled to comment on the stupid and ridiculous and you will loose a source of new members by shutting it down. Certainly I would not have posted if it wan't for those dumb arsed, big goverment apologists supporting that idiotic carbon tax. Oops, should I have self censored myself there? It was the beauty of that forum that you could get a bloody nose for being an idiot. Bring back the biff, I say and enter at your own risk.

Actually, what we need is a forum for all council parking inspector stackers, so they can be educated in the folly of their career choice! But of course, they would have their heads shoved too far up their behinds to worry about preserving their own wealth when they spend all day stealing it from others.

11. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Oh gino, you gave me a laugh, thank you

12. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

13. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

Rubbish! "WE" don't need to be careful about anything. "WE" don't have our collective asses on the line and are collectively opening ourselves up to litigation through the actions of others that type before they think. It is Ben and Ben alone that needs to make this decision. It was his (and unknown others) hard work, toil and capitol that set this site up and it is him that is at risk here. I personally would hate to see you go YKY but I think GP has put you straight enough times for you to know where the "left and right of arc's" are. That has shown in recent times with your posts. I am sure any lifetime bans would get discussed between mods anyway because the nature of this site is simply the best behaved I have seen. GP reads enough of these posts to know who is a genuine and impartial poster and would be good moderator, well he has run the best PM site in the world for a few years now so who are we to think that he would make a bad decision on picking a mod. Either way too bad so sad, it's his site and linked business on the line and it is his decision to make.-Rant over.

14. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

A much better post!

Politics rivals Real estate on this forum in the intensity stakes, yet we don't have a politics section......hmmmm There is good reason for that (the intensity). Politics affects every single one of us and IMO it is politics alone that has seen the need in the market for a PM forum in the first place. If it wasn't for the poor or unwitting or unscrupulous decisions of politicians, Gold and Silver would not have become the most undervalued assets in history at this point in time. Almost every movement we see in the spot price is a result of a politician (and those damn margin hikers). I think we should actually have a politics section where we should be able to slag off any politician we like if we want to. As long as we don't make personal insults or religious/racial posts then I would love to see an open slather political section.....After all there isn't a single thing on this planet that affects the price of gold and silver than those bloody suits.

15. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for appointing me as a moderator GP, yes I will gladly accept the role!

I know you did not want to be seen as the person pulling the trigger on YKY so I will gladly do it for you, where is the perma-ban button, I can't get used to the new admin set-up, also this PM looks just like the' reply to thread button' are you sure the rest of the forum can't see my posts when I am in administrator mode?

16. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The critical point! imo. Few people here are demanding or agreeing with the shutdown of GD, or to extend upon L80s "left and right of arc" analogy, the range. The range is essential. But every-one on the range (ie General Discussion sub forum) needs to know the boundaries of their firing behaviour. You can't have people spraying in every direction. Just like an uncontrolled range, undirected fire is bloody dangerous thing and no-one will want to visit a dangerous place. It is ESPECIALLY dangerous though for the one person running the range practice who ultimately wears the blame for the actions of everyone else participating in the practice. Putting in place firm left and rights of arc does not equate to gestapo like management. It common sence.......

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Fact is that as the population of the forum grows which is the overall intent of such a place on the internet you will get an ever increasing range of views of all things.

Just as night follows day, opinions and diversity will follow with the increase in membership, I doubt very much that GP would be happy with a membership that stagnates at the 2000 number as this would not only lead to a boring forum but would also limit the income produced by such a site.

I dont want to get into the in's and out's as to the motivation for creating such a forum but the creation of a Silver Stackers bar and the Goldstackers sister forum speak to a commercial aspect of the whole setup rather than an altruistic providing of a place where similar minds can meet and share .

This noted a broad base of membership would be more favourable than not and a case of the more the merrier all round would warrant a place that is open for both business and discussion.

As noted in many post's above the forum is a place dedicated to PM's but it is also a stated fact in the GD forum as well tho that GD is a place for "Relevant non-precious metals discussion. Closed for new threads".

Who decides what relevant is ? While I accept the fact that this is GP's site and the buck stops with him, would I be wrong tho in reasoning that without the membership there is no forum and that what is relevant is largely up to what the membership of the forum deems it to be by way of posting threads they feel of interest to them ?

Issue's such as
    are hardly the fault of the membership , it is a FORUM not a professional investment site is it not ? Holding the membership at fault for the views of an individual expressed through a third party is poor form in my opinion.

Whilst I agree that some personal opinions might reflect badly upon the forum and some have no right seeing the light of a monitor considering the overtly fundamentalist view presented by some, I am still of the opinion that GP cant have his cake and eat it too.
    This is not a forum set up for a purely meeting of minds , it is also commercial to your benefit. You dont undergo the torture that all this brings for nothing. You need to grow the base of the membership but you also need to cover your arse.

Blaming the membership for the result is a cop out tho, you seek them- and they find you, the result is what you have made it so far. You can't have a purely one dimensional place with a continuing hum of WE LOVE SILVER much like a bunch of Harri Krishna's chanting away at an airport and expect the forum to attract a diverse range of people nor can you expect to escape the diversity of opinion expressed by each and every member that joins the forum.

Extinguishing hole threads as you have done lately to put a stamp of authority on the forum is a fail, just the 9/11 one for example that had gone for a full 15 pages at least and was then disappeared for whatever ( I missed it due to being away for just one night) is an arbitrary judgment upon all that did not offend but thought the subject worthy of comment. Many of the same people also commented on many other threads in other forums , If their comments are valid in other forums and threads why dismiss them in a thread that lasted much longer than many others before being deemed disappeared ?

Many subjects to the puritans might seem to be tinfoil hat territory but even the point of them being posted here is proof of their relevance to the membership hosted here, sure there are many other places for them to be posted but the fact is that the people posting them choose this forum to do so, they also make relevant post's in many other of the forums, GD is a place that covers all subjects as I see it, the number of threads is proof of this.

You can have the purely economic and dedicated Silver/Gold etc comments and threads, but how many times have you seen the same subject covered time and again in Silver for example ? How long would it be before dated members tire of answering the same questions or offering the same advice before they go elsewhere for a change of topic ? You can try and be different from Kitco etc but the stark reality is that in order to survive SS will need to become the Aussie version, it is already in reality.

Get some good Mod's or put it behind a paywall/request. Personally I dont see Silver Stackers surviving without a general discussion area or similar, People have opinions and they will express them whether you like it or not, they will discuss them here or will go elsewhere to do it.

Just as many here say there are other places to go and discuss whatever, there are plenty of other places on the net that allow both PM and GD comment, SS is a great Aussie site for both or has been till recently , While subject matter may be a problem and expression of such might be a headache , the problem is not whether the issues are discussed between people it is whether they are discussed here on SS. A one dimensional discussion will lead to a one dimensional number of people visiting.

It has been nearly a week now, when might it be resolved ?

18. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

It is always a minority that wrecks it for the majority :(

19. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

southerncross, the General Discussion forum was reopened yesterday afternoon.

Regarding the relationship between Silver Stackers and Gold Stackers - I'm not going to "pull the curtain back" on private businesses that are separate entities, but you assume too much about the extent of my ownership in either. If the sole purpose of Silver Stackers was to funnel business to Gold Stackers, why would Silver Stackers be taking advertising from other bullion dealers instead of just being rebranded with pure Gold Stackers sponsorship? When was the last time your Silver Stackers registration email was spammed with Gold Stackers email? About the only "privilege" Gold Stackers has on the forum is the license to produce the SS bars. Advertising for Gold Stackers is no more prevalent on this forum than Bullion Money, Aurora et Luna or any of the other sponsors of the site. I don't even link to the website URL in my signature because it would smack of overpromotion.

Silver Stackers is a community that's been running for over 2 years - it serves a far greater purpose than simply lining somone's pockets with advertising money, in providing an information channel for raising precious metals awareness that might actualy change people's lives in the long run if they act on what they can learn here - it's silly but I would love to think that in 5 years there's a bunch of young people able to buy homes outright with their stack, because they were inspired to invest in PMs, and it paid off.

20. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

A simple but undeniable truth is that there are those who use the " I'm offended" option because that's the only avenue left to them.
    This usually is when they are having their butt handed to them on a plate or an uncomfortable truth about something that they hold near and dear ( that the "average" person would not know about) is being made public. For the record, I'm not saying the above can't be voiced either offensively or innocently, but straight forward provable facts stated as such do not cause offense to the average normal person ; they might be shocked that the situation/ incident has happened, but to take offense and then retaliation against someone is to shoot the messenger. Great if you want extreme censorship. - and for whatever it's worth, I'm still waiting for clarification on issues I raised on this subject awhile ago, but haven't received a reply yet. I realize the moderators are busy, but as I was one of those banned, and I'm making an honest and realistic effort to get some guidlines and answers, a response should be forthcoming.