Chinese Buddha silver Medallion

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by honson, Apr 11, 2014.

1. HAC888

HAC888 Member

I think Lucklymoney is member here and he is the same person barsenault Mentioned. he had this coin listed on Ebay. PM him, you might get best price for being SS member.

Barsenault, FYI. I just got my coin this evening. It's better than honson picture.( sorry honson ) your beautiful picture showing 2D, while, the actual coin showing awesome 3D affected. The depth and details is way better in real live.
    Due to the thickness of the coin, I afraid there is no capsule that will fit for this coin. if you find the capsule, Please let me know. ( I am thinking using Charlie Chaplin case for this Coin... :) )

2. honson

honson New Member

Right
    Photo only get 2D ,
    But when the coin on hand ,
    you can see Ultra High Relief 3D,
    hope your guy enjoy the medal !

Honson

3. honson

honson New Member

Hi Barsenault ,

this photo no retouch in PS,

I shoot the Wutai medal on the window side,

only normal adjustment, contrast, exposure

honosn

4. honson

honson New Member

two high relief compare ,

photo take by smartphone

[​IMG]

5. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

6. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

While these are stunning pieces, I have backed right off buying these due to the difficulty selling them come that time. More and more have been thinking about exit strategy, and fancy numis are factoring less and less into it. Buy if you like it, but not sure how well they hold their value, or if that value will even go up. Beautiful though

7. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

An exit strategy can certainly include medals and semi-numis....it really depends what and when your exit strategy will be.

The market is always cyclical....it will rebound for certain. When that is? I do not know. Could be a year or a half dozen. Those who are patient are usually rewarded for it.

8. mmissinglink

I just received my Wutai silver medal and it is stunning! The high relief really is very high and is as amazing as the beautiful design itself. I like the obverse as much as the reverse....they compliment each other very well.

I made my purchase with thincat00 on eBay. He is an honest seller. He is also the only seller on eBay that I could find at the time of my purchase, who is selling this medal sealed in the original Mint plastic pouch. If you are not buying this coin in the sealed pouch, you are buying a medal that has been looked over and handled. If getting the highest quality is important to you then you should consider buying this medal only if it comes in the original Mint sealed plastic pouches.

And for those that believe that medals and semi-numis can't factor into an exit strategy...while I understand that fear and belief, what if the period of time you have to exit the spot price for silver is 30% less than what you purchased the the blobs for? On top of that, dealers don't even give you spot price to buy your stuff....so you'd be getting less than the hypothetical loss of 30%. Just on Sunday I was listening to a news show in which the main guest is an author talking about the merging of the North American currencies. One of the benefits to the US, argued on this news show, would be the potentially large volume of un-mined precious metals that is under the Canadian ground. If there is a large volume and it begins to get mined, you can bet this will factor into reducing the spot prices of those metals. Supply and demand would dictate that this has a negative effect on spot prices.

The point is, there a risk to buying and holding anything made of precious metals...risk is NOT exclusive to semi-numi coins and medals....I have heard about people who have lost money on buying blobs or common bullion silver in a bull market not thinking about a price drop and the even lower buy back price that dealers offer for your bullion.

I'm not saying bullion as compared to semi-numis is a bad way to spend your money...just that there is risk with that too.

9. picturefun

picturefun Member

Here is another good one by Shanghai--Shanghai Long Edge 2013 Wutai 45mm 58g silver China medal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. picturefun

picturefun Member

how much did you pay? if you do not mind sharing

11. picturefun

picturefun Member

12. mmissinglink

I payed $230 for the double sealed medal and free, fast shipping. It's a keeper for sure and I will enjoy looking at it many times over with or without my kids.

The medal above that picturefun posted is nice but not nearly as nice a design as the Wutai medal that honson started this thread alerting us to. That's just my opinion. I actually like Chinese medals a lot. My very first precious medal item I ever purchased was a Chinese silver medal back somewhere around 1985 or so....purchasing it ONLY because I loved the beautiful design not because I had any clue at all what a precious metal was. It's the medal that is pictured as my moniker/avatar below my name. It was only until very recently that I learned that the medal is quite rare and it was initially one of the bits of knowledge that spawned my interest in stacking.

Often when I go to my safety deposit box, I will take out the Great Wall silver medal and appreciate it all over again...it really is a masterpiece of craftsmanship.

So, I will always encourage people to buy Chinese medals if they really like the craftsmanship and design. Even if the value doesn't go up significantly, they can still bring joy in appreciating them.

13. mmissinglink

I hate you! :) This one is very appealing to me...I may have to spend more money I don't have to get this. Terrific design and high relief...sweet!

14. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Yeah, I must agree. Some medals are really awesome. I'm more fan of silver than bronze, so I'm glad there are also some silver medals. So far I mostly saw bronze ones.

Prince increase or not, sometimes it's good to buy something for "soul" and enjoy the art. :)

15. picturefun

picturefun Member

I see. thanks. I think I will try to get one at $200 :) That is the lowest sold on Ebay

I took a look at Taobao in China, the lowest price for Wu tai is around $US$180+$3 shipping (within China). Putuo is the #1 in the series, so the lowest price is around US$240+shipping even in China, several are much more expensive.

The next two will be EMei and JiuHua

16. barsenault

17. mmissinglink

Are all the silver medals in this series the same weight?

18. picturefun

picturefun Member

The seller is in China. But now Taobao does accept Visa Mastercard. I am not sure how much for the international shipping. And the way Taobao operates, Taobao acts as an intermediate, the money you paid goes to Taobao first, it will NOT be released until you receive the goods, and verified, and signed for the package, then Taobao will release the money to the seller. So it is relatively safe. But personally, I never directly bought from Taobao myself. I only bought some cheap consumer goods from Aliexpress.

cannot find that $240 now.

this one is around US$250 shipped (within China, International for sure cost more). If you are interested, you can contact the seller to see if he ships overseas. His phone number is listed in his store
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.123.1wsdgX&id=21256347546

around $300
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.132.1wsdgX&id=22192059802

19. picturefun

picturefun Member

Yes. so far the two already out are all 80g

20. barsenault

man, oh, man, that is one beautiful looking medal. How someone can compare the detail of that medal to the Zeus coin, I say again, they have to have their head examined. :) simply gorgeous detail. I can't read Chinese, so unfortunately I'll have to pay extra for the ebay listing, or just focus on the medal that is still around 200.00 and maybe someone will trade with me down the road. LOL. thanks so much for the info. really appreciate it!!!