Chinese Buddha silver Medallion

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by honson, Apr 11, 2014.

1. lostwords

lostwords New Member

Hi, Not implying that you got something in return. Just seek more info.

So the one he is selling is sterling silver? There's one with the 999 silver

2. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Oh, no problem, I totally understand. And I believe that's his way of saying .999 silver. :) but since you bring it up, I'll ask. LOL. But scroll to the top and see the 3rd picture...this is the medal we are ordering from lucky. Thanks.

3. HAC888

HAC888 Member

4. barsenault

5. HAC888

HAC888 Member

You right , those coins are so beautiful and awesome . However, I think this Wutain coin that Honson shared is the best of them all for artistic, ( others could view differently)

6. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

This is one of the nicest silver medals I've ever seen...wow!

7. honson

honson New Member

Thx all !!!!!

8. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi

Look at this url which you will find amazing.

http://dtz.jibi.net/

However you need translate it into English. The price is far below the recommended seller. Hope this help.

9. mmissinglink

^ Wow, another gorgeous medal!

10. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

very nice medal but they are minting the medals like crazy ))
    it would help to add yuan and year to it and make it coin ... price would rise substantially

11. wsd_collector

wsd_collector New Member

I give this the WSD seal of approval ;) lol Looks nice!

12. barsenault

Yeah, after looking at that page, I'm now even more convinced that medals are nice to admire, but long term investment is questionable at best. I will buy only for their wow factor and artistic appeal, not for their investment. If it turns out to be a great investment, wonderful; but if not, oh well, I can admire a nice piece of art. MHowever, after looking at ALL THOSE MEDALS, wow, I'm sticking with coins. :)

Here is the forum on medals vs. Coins for those interested. http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=5882.new;topicseen#new

13. mmissinglink

I have been a member at the China-mint forum since 2012. The member whose opinion I have found to be consistently the most accurate and informative is fwang2450.

fwang points out this: "I am not against collecting medals. I myself have a number of medals, and Huang Ruiyong (a top expert on Chinese coins and medals) insists that medals should be part of the collection of top collectors. But if the purpose of collection is mainly wealth accumulation, medals generally are outperformed by currency coins in MCC collection due to the Chinese definition of "bi"."

What this means is that medals aren't necessarily a bad investment, it's just that generally, currency tends to be more sought after by Chinese collectors which could be said for coins and medals produced in the U.S. as well.

For example, look at this medal on eBay: 191113465832. While it had a mintage of only 700 and generally a US Mint coin with a mintage of only 700 would almost certainly have accumulated a significantly higher premium, I would argue that the person who invested fiat money in this medal and sold it made out much better than if investing that same fiat money in plenty of other items including pm bullion. There are plenty of other medals that I have looked at that have accumulated fairly high premiums as well....I used that example because it was a fairly recent sale.

So, to buy or not to buy medals?

I say yes if you are buying coins to appreciate...whether Chinese or otherwise. If you are buying coins to appreciate their beauty or the thing celebrated on the coin, then buying medals is an obvious yes in my view.

14. HAC888

HAC888 Member

I just wonder is silver metal with purity of .999 is the same as silver bar or round with purity of .999 ?

If no, Please explain.
    If yes, then, this Wutai medal can be an investment. ( when silver go to the moon :) )

Round=

15. mmissinglink

The purity of .999 is the same no matter what form the precious metal is minted into.

Obviously, the greater amount of expense the mint puts into producing a .999 silver product, the higher the premium will be. I would have to assume that high relief coins and especially the extremely high relief medals like the one's noted in this thread are costlier to produce.

16. HAC888

HAC888 Member

Yes. I am buying this Wutai medal.( while knowing the premium for this medal is too high)

I like this Wutai medal for it Artistic appeal, symbolic , High Relief, Antique finished, individual S/N on the medal, Purity 0.999.

I believe.... Value/ Beauty of this Wutai medal is in the hand of the beholder. ( fell in love before even got hold of it....:) : )

Thanks to honson for sharing. I hope the actual medal is as good as your pictures. :)

17. barsenault

Yepper, I'm with HAC on this one. I bought another one today. 2 for me. If I get extra cash, and these are still for sale, I'd like a total of 5, one for each of my family members. When I saw the pictures it was love at first sight. The exquisite detail is astounding...hopefully Honson didn't photo shop the pictures. LOL. I mean that is pure beauty, and I'm not even a fan of Buddha or Wutai...or whoever that person is, but the hand and sword, and even the Buddha dude has amazing detail. I'm sure this bound to be one of my favorites. The mintage of a thousand is nice, but what I've been reading lately about the Chinese reminting/replicating stuff, well, I don't hold my breath over actual mintage numbers any longer.

18. lamp

lamp New Member

May I ask how much it is and where can I buy if I want to get one?

19. barsenault

Just bought me one! Sweet. Jesus. That is a purty medal. And 3 oz. I have no idea what the heck it means, LOL, but I will say, that I personally love the detail. Would buy 13 of these like I did the 2013 Panda Expo medal. I bought my 13 Pandas, and now this medal from [email protected]. I contacted him directly, and he charged me 200.00. You can't go wrong with him. He has a great rating on eBay, and has relatively fast shipping. Let him know [email protected] sent him your way, this way when we order in the future, we leverage our 'group' to get a deal. :) just a thought. Matters not to me either way, I get nothing from this guy...zippo. Just a nice medal at a reasonable price...I hope. LOL.

20. mmissinglink

On ebay search for "2013 china wutai". Most members here are buying this on eBay. If you have a Chinese coin dealer contact, you should ask that dealer otherwise your best bet is eBay.