Chinese Buddha silver Medallion

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by honson, Apr 11, 2014.

1. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Hey missing, great to chat via these forums. I think we are liked minded. LOL. Yes, that is the one I just got, and it is simply beautiful. And guess what? I lucked out, big time, I think. I bought it from Clark (coinvault). Usually he is pretty expensive. http://www.coinvault.com but I got mine for 900.00. I think he had been sitting on it for a while. The guy on eBay, whom I know well, Flashfire, and actually bought a few coins from him, outside of eBay for really good prices, is selling (trying) for over double. I think I got a bargin. :) But you know what, I love it, so that's what matters, right? If I make money in the end, great. But I get to marvel over that piece of work. Today, I get my 2nd 1985 ANA Great Wall (raw) medal. The one spelled backwards. Not the purtiest medal, BUT, on this one, I love the history behind it. Some speculate there may be under 160 in existence, AND it has been confirmed the dies are broken. That's always music to my ears. LOL.

Now, on to the Wutai. I looked at it again just now. I mean, how magical. I know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but that is one fine piece of art. I got it from Lucky. And I think he's doing himself a disservice by posting the coin without stating the one he sends will be in the wrap from the mint. I think he took a picture without the 'stuff' on the coin, because he wanted to show detail. And I wound up placing an order from Frank (based on your recommendation of getting the medal with the packing) for 2 more. In the end, it didn't matter, because they were both selling for 200.00 direct. But Lucky lost a deal because my perception was his medals were not in original packaging. I need to tell him that.

On the Lohan front, Frank said if we do a group buy (whenever) of 10, he'd sell those to us for 135.00. I need to see it up close and personal first. As I said the neck on the one dude looks a bit funky to me. But the obverse looks awesome. Still debating. I may buy one and see what it looks like. I'll keep you posted. Have a great day.

2. HAC888

HAC888 Member

Mmisinglink and barsenault,
    I am glad you did raised question about the double seals. it a great relief for I got it from Frank the same way as you did. I am not open the seal yet. Did you open the seal and it fit nicely in the box ? The box looks very tight or small for the coin.
    Like you, I also ordered the second Wutai from Frank. It on the way with Lohan and Putuo . I let you know after received it.

3. barsenault

Yes, so Frank does have it, and Lucky does too. i think Lucky too pictures without the double seals, but didn't say that it would come double sealed, like I just received last night. I just wrote him an email telling him to take pictures with the double seals, so folks don't think it comes without it the double seal. I told him he lost an opportunity to get 2 more medals from me because I thought they were going to be sent without the seals...I should have asked first...oh well. I really like those metals. I LOVE the Putuo, but man, I can't justify a purchase over 300.00, so I just thought, let me buy 3 of the Wutai, and hope these appreciate in value like the Putuo. Also, please do let us see the actual image of the Lohan. Oh, and I won't be removing the seals, and I suggest you don't either, unless you really want to see the actual medal, and have no intention of selling down the road. Or if you plan on grading the medal. I'm not sure if I plan on grading just yet. Thanks for turning us on to this series...please do keep us informed on medals Thansk.

4. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Wow, a 1985 ANA Great Wall medal with mis-spell...I'm assuming silver, eh?

And $900 for the PF69 1991 10 Year Anniversay Panda is a steal.

I wish I would have known that lucklymoney was offering the Wutai in the OMP because I went to Frank, paying more, assuming that lucklymoney's was opened and examined and not in the OGP. Yes, it definitely is his own dis-service.

It's okay though....I have wasted so much money on nonsense for the first 48 years of my life...the extra $40 is hardly even a drop in that bucket!

I'm going to PM you as indeed I think we have a common interest in extraordinary Chinese medals.

5. barsenault

Hey there missing, yes indeed it is medal, and it ain't cheap...here is the history behind the medal. http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=6987.0 It was in the papers too. Pretty fascinating. Again, the coin isn't a 'wow' per se, but I love the story.

I think I got a good deal for the 1991. Clark doesn't sell on eBay, and was trying to sell it on his 'limited viewed' website. He had it on there for 1600.00 and then over time he dropped it to 900, and I was all over it! :)

And yeah, you and me both. I lost a ton on a lot of nonsense too...and I'm 47...so I can relate. LOL. Most of mine was lost trying to strike it rich in the markets back in 2000 and 2008. Great times to be in the markets long. LOL. Never again. I wish I had known about medals and coins back then. I think I'd be doing okay at this stage in my life. LOL. Oh well, everything happens for a reason. So yes, I think the same way. At least we are sinking 'worthless fiat' into something that has tangible value. We'll see how it plays out. :)

6. HAC888

HAC888 Member

Basenault, Thank for advise not to open the seal. it's a hard decision because if we not open the seal we will never be able to appreciate the full beauty of the coin. But, if we do open it, then the coin will subject to oxidized, scratched, and lost resale value. ( Grading is the best option, Please let me know the result if you send your for grading.)

Just found this on line.

Painting and brief about 18 Arhats (lohans) . ( I like comment of Zhugeliang in the Picture)

[​IMG]

18 Arhat (The Eighteen Buddhist Monk)

1Hop-pocket Arhat (Angaja Respectable)
    As a snake hunter in Ancient India, he often climbed mountains to hunter snakes with a cloth bag lest passengers suffer snakebite. He seized a snake, pulled out its poison fangs, and freed it. Therefore he was also called Hop-pocket Arhat.

2Quietly-sitting Arhat (Nakula Respectable)
    Once he was a brave warrior, and then he became a monk. Buddha asked him to sit quietly to give up the barbaric personality before. Therefore he was also called Quietly-sitting Arhat.

3River-crossing Arhat (Bhadra Respectable)
    He was a servant of Buddha. In legend he once went to East India Archipelago by boat to propagandize Buddhism. Therefore he was also called River-crossing Arhat.

4Elephant-riding Arhat (Kalika Respectable)
    He was once an elephant trainer. Elephant, with lots of strengths and tolerance and far-walking ability, is a symbol of Buddhism. Therefore he was also called Elephant-riding Arhat.

5Tower-holding Arhat (Subinda Respectable)
    He was the last disciple of Buddha. And he often prayed to Buddha holding a tower in his hand. Therefore he was also called Tower-holding Arhat.

6Joyous Arhat (Kanakavatsa Respectable)
    He was a disciple, who heard Buddha's words himself, was an elocutionist in Ancient India. He thought that devotion to Buddha and considering Buddha in one's heart could make one feel happy. Therefore he was also called Joyous Arhat.

7Tiger-taming Arhat (Pindola Respectable)
    There were always tigers growling outside of a temple where he lived. Then he fed one of them with some of his own food. Time passing by, the tiger was tamed, accompanying him by his side. Therefore he was also called Tiger-taming Arhat.

8Deer-riding Arhat (Pindolabharadraja Respectable)
    He was born in Brahman Nobility. He often returned to Jushemi City Palace riding a deer to persuade the king to be a monk. Finally the king was persuaded, giving his kingship to the crown prince and then becoming a monk. Therefore he was also called Deer-riding Arhat.

9Smiling-lion Arhat (Vajrap Utra Respectable)
    He was once a hunter. And he abstained from killing after becoming a monk. Two little lions often accompanied him to appreciating him dropping his bleeding sword. Therefore he was also called Smiling-lion Arhat.

10Long-eyebrow Arhat (Ajita Respectable)
    He had two long eyebrows congenitally. Therefore he was also called Long-eyebrow Arhat.

11Hand-stretching Arhat (Panthaka Respectable)
    He was an illegitimate child. After becoming an arhat, he often used semi-sit-crosslegged method. When he finished za-zen, he rose up his hands and breathed out long. Therefore he was also called Hand-stretching Arhat.

12Banana Arhat (Vanavasin Respectable)
    When he was born, it rained a lot, raindrops hitting banana leaves to rustle. After becoming a monk, he always cultivated himself according to Buddhist doctrine under banana trees. Therefore he was also called Banana Arhat.

13Ear-picking Arhat (Nagasena Respectable)
    He was a Buddhism theoretician, especially famous for the theory of ear root. Ear root is one of the six roots (eye, ear, nose, tongue, body and mind), which are the main sense organs for human beings to know the world. In Buddhism, it is said that the six roots are the vital roots to go beyond life and death, so it is necessary to clean the six roots. He was the expert to explain lustration of ear root, so he was also called Ear-picking Arhat.

14Dragon-taming Arhat (Nandimitra Respectable)
    He vanquished the dragon king, retook the sutra hidden in the Dragon Palace, making a great contribution. Therefore he was also called Dragon-taming Arhat.

15Meditative Arhat (Rahula)
    He was the only child of Buddha Sakyamuni. Following his father, he became a monk, as one of the ten disciples of Buddha and the first of Mising. Mising means realising in meditation, and knowing what others don't know in meditation. Therefore he was also called Meditative Arhat.

16Heart-opening Arhat (Jivaka Respectable)
    He was once the Mid-Indian crown prince, with whom his younger brother fought for the kingship and then rebelled. He said to his brother, "there is only Buddhism in my heart, no kingship". Then he unclosed his clothes. Seeing a Buddha in his heart, his brother didn't rebel any more. Therefore he was also called Heart-opening Arhat.

17Gate-keeping Arhat (Chudapanthaka Respectable)
    He was given a tin stick by Buddhism, and shook it at someone's door when begging alms. Therefore he was also called Gate-keeping Arhat.

18Bowl-lifting Arhat (Kanakabharadraja Respectable)
    He always lifted his iron bowl to people when begging alms. Therefore he was also called Bowl-lifting Arhat

7. barsenault

8. barsenault

Painting and brief about 18 Arhats (lohans) . ( I like comment of Zhugeliang in the Picture)

Awesome!! Love it! Thanks for all the details. I'll be printing this out and making a nice case for the 18. I'll be buying the Lohan for sure! Thanks much for all the details and updates and info. Great to plug into you folks!!:lol:

9. mmissinglink

Thanks for the shares. The 1991 Panda Anniversary medal's Great Wall side is truly a masterpiece of craftsmanship. A stunning, sculpted depiction of the Great Wall.

10. lostwords

lostwords New Member

Let us know if u are organing a group but for the Lohan... I might be interest in it if the price is right

11. barsenault

Hey there, we actually need 8 more to get a price of 135.00. He quoted me 150.00. I'm sure we can go, 10 for 130.00. LOL. Heck, Frank probably gets them for 70.00. who knows, right missing? :) He just wrote me saying they just minted the first 200. I haven't purchased any just yet. thanks everyone.

12. honson

honson New Member

My Wutai also double seal
    I open it when I get in my hand
    If I don't open it I never see that great medal detail

I love that Wutai so I need to open it!

13. lostwords

lostwords New Member

In this case it might not worth it for me as I am in Canada. Some of u are from u.s and shipping from u.s to here is not cheap either

14. barsenault

yeah, it's probably going to be easier for us just to bite the bullet and pay the extra 20.00. less headache. LOL.

15. mmissinglink

I don't know the price the dealers get it but certainly on eBay, they tack into the price the shipping to the US and eBay fees and offer FREE SHIPPING. Pretty much anyone who offers free shipping does this...I'm not implying that only Chinese dealers do this...just that the price Chinese dealers get these beautiful medals at are of course probably anywhere in the range from 20% to 50% on new to the market products.

The Lohan certainly is a great medal...it's just that I am working with a very, very limited budget now.

16. HAC888

HAC888 Member

Honson, Please tell me how you store your Wutai now. is the Box fit ?

17. honson

honson New Member

HAC888,

I just put it in a plastic zip bag ,

then store in a Dry Cabinet

original box keep in other place ,

I have a Dry Cabinet only store my silver collection :)

High humidity appears in Hong Kong.:(

18. HAC888

HAC888 Member

Thanks, Honson. Look like I will have to open it after my second Wutai arrived ( just in case the second Wutai is not double seals)

19. honson

honson New Member

Open it, so you can really feel it really is a masterpiece of craftsmanship.
    this is the desire of the designer,

here is my blog talking about that Wutai ,

sorry the article is Chinese,

http://honsonyip.blogspot.hk/2014/03/80g-999.html

20. HAC888

HAC888 Member

Will do, honson. I am totally agree with you that this Wutai is a masterpiece of craftsmanship.
    In fact, your pictures contributed to it beauty. If I did not see your pictures, I would not buy it through those pictures from dealers online.
    Sorry I could not read Chinese in your blog. However, I see you attached picture of Wutai designer.