Chinese Buddha silver Medallion

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by honson, Apr 11, 2014.

1. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Do you when these wi be coming out? thanks so much

2. picturefun

picturefun Member

Looks like they put out 1 each year, Putuo was out in 2013, and Wutai is just out this year, so the other two should be out around this time 2015 and 2016

3. picturefun

picturefun Member

4. picturefun

picturefun Member

Here is another nice medal, 1650 grams of gold, mintage is only 20

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Razz

Razz Member

another chinese seller recommend to me not to buy this now in the summertime prices will be a lot lower
    also he says u never now how much they will stamp and if it doesnt got face value its worth spot
    value increase not likely
    but the chinese sellers on this forum push it it like its a revelation just like the australian sellers who promote their goods here

6. barsenault

Hey there Razz. I'm not so sure that is true. Your thought about it not going up in value. Have you seen what the Putuo is selling for on eBay? Now what price they are getting I'm not sure. And aside from all that, and as Missing said, and I agree with; there are some coins/medal that one buys just to appreciate the artistic nature...and their beauty. That's why I bought a couple of these. Not sure if these will go up in value from 200.00. Maybe not. Will I break even if I decide to sell a few years down the road? Who knows the way of coins and medals right? I don't. Your Chinese seller doesn't either. That's the fun of collecting some specialized medals like these...it's simply for the beauty of the piece (for me).

7. barsenault

Not as nice as the Wutai or Putuo. Something about the guys neck that looks a little 'funky.' Maybe its just me, but I'll pass. :)

8. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

It may be true that in the summer many or most Chinese coin/medal prices drop but perhaps not all. One member (I don't recall if it is in this forum or another where the Wutai medal is being discussed) had written that he can not find it for less than $240. I haven't checked prices on eBay since I purchased mine, but I suppose it's possible.

Anyway, I don't particularly agree that posts in forums where people share coins, medals, and other similar items is pushing. Not that there aren't any posts that are aggressive push for a product but I think there are many people like myself who just like to share what they think is nice. I don't see any pushing in this thread....just sharing. And since I really like many of the items that are being shared here, I engage in the conversation and show appreciation when another member introduces me to some very nice items I didn't even know exist.

Pushing would be more like, "You gotta get this coin now from X seller because if you don't, you will miss the opportunity of a lifetime". That comes across like pushing, in my view.

Enjoy your day!

9. Razz

Razz Member

i like the coin by the way :) and thanks for a decend explanation both of u 2 last posts

10. picturefun

picturefun Member

Who is pushing it? I do NOT even know these coins existed before I read this thread. And now I found out there are MANY more High Relief medals/coins make by Mints in China are better looking than the coins made by PM or NZ mint.

It ALL is your own decision whether to buy these medals/coins or not. NO one can push you to buy if you do not want to do it. and NO one take a penny of commission by posting some pictures here.

As for the valuation, Putuo is the #1 in this series, sold about 1 year ago, now you can hardly find any lower than 1500 Yuan (around US$250). Most of it are now selling at $300-400, or even $600. the issue price was around 960 Yuan. Whoever told you they do not appreciate in value must be joking.

The ONLY reason for Wutai is cheaper now is because it is just out not long ago.

These 999 mintage is extremely low considering the collecting mass in China. NO, I am not even talking about the overseas Market.

11. barsenault

Amen to that picture. I really like these too. I have 3 Wutai medals coming. 1 from Luck and 2 from Thincat. Totally stoked. Can't wait to see them. And yes, much better artistic work (IMHO) on the medals vs. PM/NZ mints. The only bummer is that they are not official coins, but who cares. I like them. LOL.

12. mmissinglink

^ Yes, they are not coinage and the Chinese may treat them differently but the value could still nonetheless go up. It's all about demand I think and the Wutai, if any indication in this forum, may go up.

These are very, very low mintage and the design is exceptionally appealing I would argue....better than any other silver medal I have seen produced since I've been keeping my eyes open from 2012. The PM Zeus medal is a farcical joke compared to the quality of the Wutai medal from the Shenyang Mint.

I am seriously considering getting a second Wutai silver medal...I will see if thincat has any remaining or if he sold out.

Just for comparison, I bought a very high relief Chinese Snake medal last year. It is a large, stunning medal and granted, it is bronze and not silver, but still, since I bought mine, the only time I have ever seen this same medal for sale anywhere on the internet (and I do a search for it regularly just to be appraised of it's value or availability on the market) is just very recently and the asking price is certainly higher than what I was able to buy it for a year ago. (A seller on eBay who I am not affiliated with in any way is offering it - search keywords "2012 snake medal") Maximum mintage on the single bronze 2012-13 Snake Dance medal is 800. Maximum mintage on the bronze and copper Snake Dance medal set is a scarce 200. Now, from my understanding, just like with any Mint which puts out a maximum mintage number, the actual number of medals/coins sold may be considerably lower thereby making these medals/coins that much more scarce or even more rare.

As an aside, apparently, the highly regarded 1984 and 1987 3.3 oz silver proof Great Wall Chinese medals are such medals where the actual number of silver proof medals actually sold was almost certainly less than the stated maximum mintage figures. That's why, in part, among modern Chinese medals, it is regarded as the cream-of-the-crop. The original selling price for it - $35....and good luck finding one of those for sale today for less than several thousand dollars.

But that's not why I bought the Wutai medal. And look, if the value goes up...then that's just icing on the cake. I will nonetheless get much appreciation of this wonderful craftsmanship for years to come....that has value in itself.

13. HAC888

HAC888 Member

About the guys neck, it does stuck out like a deer neck sat next to him. Ha ha ha.

This coin is based on the story of a man driving a deer that teaching the king about materials world.
    Each Arhat has it own story for us to contemplate.
    The beauty is more into the stories meaning that relate to us than in the coin itself.
    if you have time, search online you will find more interesting about 18 Arhats story.

Deer Sitting,
    Happy,
    Raised Bowl,
    Raised Pagoda,
    Meditating,
    Oversea,
    Elephant Riding,
    Laughing Lion,
    Open Heart,
    Raised Hand,
    Thinking,
    Scratched Ear,
    Calico Bag,
    Plantain,
    Long Eyebrow,
    Doorman,
    Taming Dragon
    Taming Tiger.

14. mmissinglink

What is the name of this medal series? How many issues in total? Do you know if each medal is designed and sculpted by different artists? The style of the Putuo seems different than from the Wutai although both are spectacular.

The reason i ask about the sculptor is because I collect coins and medals that are engraved or sculpted by particular artists.

For example, I am a big fan of Marcel Jovine. I still have a lot to learn about his full work, but he has sculpted a number of American coins and private mint medals (like from the Medallic Art Company of New York).

So, I'm interested in the sculptors of these Chinese medals. Anyone has any knowledge of who they are?

15. barsenault

Hello everyone,

I spoke with Frank (thincat), and I'm planning on making an order for the Lohan Buddha. It is 150.00, but maybe if we place a group order, when can get it cheaper, because he saves on shipping cost. Thoughts? I'm in the U.S. As Chris Silver can attest to, who lives in UK, I've helped him a few times in getting orders from APMEX. Just a thought. I'm ordering regardless. :) I'm not a HUGE fanatic of the medal, as I am the Wutai, but I LOVE the stories behind the Lohan series, and it is an official medal. have a great day.

16. mmissinglink

I just bought a second Wutai and can not afford right now the Lohan Buddha. I may end up buying a Lohan later but for the time being I have to wait as other pressing bills take precedent. If and when you get yours, please post pics here!

17. barsenault

Indeed, I will. Can't wait to get both medals!

18. barsenault

Just got home from my business trip. Immediately went to my desk, and sure enough, there were a couple of packages. 1 was the 1991 10th Anniversary 3.3 69 NGC, beautiful medal (2000 minted); and the other was the beautiful Wutai. Wow. The Wutai is simply gorgeous. I have thousands of coins, and my son was like, 'dad, this one is my favorite, hands down.' I just smiled and said, yeah, what a piece of art, right? Awesome!!

19. mmissinglink

Congratulations on receiving it! Was that from Frank (thincat) or another dealer?

Also, what is the 1991 10th Anniversary 3.3 medal or coin? What country? Pictures please. :)

20. mmissinglink