Perth Mints 'Saltwater Crocodile' bullion coin breaks cover in Europe

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by AgAuNEWS, May 10, 2014.

1. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If they are priced close to ASEs they are a good thing I reckon. About time they put out a 1oz coin in tubes, dont know why they did the 1/2 oz ones first.

Koalas might go the way of the dodo and get replaced by unencapsulated jobs like this as the low premium offering. Bringing out silver roos, with or without capsules, also points to koala extinction.

2. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

Koalas do not need to be phased out, they just need better designers. And OMG we gonna have eagle and kangaroo silver bullion??!!

Is Perth Mint producing bullion silver as much as their numis now?

3. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

4. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

European pricing has them higher than the ASE, CML and Phily, but lower than the Kook, Panda, Brit or Elephant.

5. bloomst

bloomst Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well i guess someone has to pay for the shipping/insurance.

6. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

Can you please clarify what the difference between "product range" and "series"? Shark coin was the beginning of 1/2oz coins, while these crocs are the beginning of 1oz bullion coins?

7. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

Basically sounds like they are sussing out doing cheaper bullion products as opposed to a $10 premium per 1oz coin

8. Miloman

Miloman Active Member Silver Stacker

Here's my thoughts and it doesn't take a genius to figure these thoughts out.

I think if Perth Mint does it correctly it will attract more people to Kooks and Lunars. But...

Problem is they shouldn't increase mintages of Lunars, Kooks or Koala they should leave the mintages alone. Once issued they should not restrike. This will keep the prestigious reputation and drive future sales. Attracting collectors and driving up prices for loyal holders of Perth Mint products. But doesn't Perth Mint listen, not really well, they're about three quarters deaf.

Secondly it's a great idea to issue low premium encapsulated croc coins with no limit on production but once the year is over, they should cease minting that years coin without restrike.

This concept leaves the brand value of Kooks, Lunars in tact and makes them sort after, people interested in bullion can buy crocs or ASE, Maples etc. Besides Perth Mint produces the blanks for things like the ASE.

Leaving Kooks, lunars alone and not diluting them makes a lot of commercial sense for the Perth Mint.

They do need better designs for the Koala, it's so iconic at least the Kook and lunar designs are superior.

Attracting more Perth Mint Collectors is a good thing. The market is a bit slow but year over year on average, mints around the world are selling more and more coins. Meaning it's likely there are (a) more buyer (b) people increasing their holdings. This is great for everyone.

Things are a bit slow in certain areas and people are frightened to buy so there are bargains to be had. Silver miners around the world are losing millions upon millions getting the stuff out of the ground. And here we are buying quality coins for LESS than the cost of production!

But it's funny how when the market is down people buy less than when the market is high. So counter intuitive for me and when prices rise and things shoot up, just watch the mass flock back. It's been happening the last 10+ years that I've been involved.

On to some of the collectables, some have been poorly designed and offered. And far too many. Many of these have been commissioned by dealers. The best I think was the Deadly and Dangerous Series, nice polished wooden box, great designs. I think Downies were the designers and commissioned these. Problem is who places the limit of these collectables and judges the quality of designs and packaging? That's tough.

Either way there's lots to love about the Perth Mint products and a few things not to.

9. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

10. Miloman

Miloman Active Member Silver Stacker

I understood that... sorry I said they were my thoughts. I think no limits on a bullion coin would be better ie minted to satisfy demand rather than putting a figure of 1 million on it.

Context.

11. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

imho, I will choose this croc bullion coin rather than normal ASE or maple or a round (e.g. buffalo). it is confirmed that you can purchase a single unit from the dealer(s).

and for the kangaroo....bring it on! :)

12. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think what dealers should be doing with the singles is putting the coins in capsules as they crack open a tube.
    Capsules are cheap for a dealer in megga bulk but stackers value coins with capsules more then the price of the capsule.

so instead of selling these coins for $25.60 raw, sell 'em for $25.90 in capsules.

Problem later is there's gonna be a difference between the coins sold as singles and the sealed tubes, I think single coins will lose value.
    also the security seal on the tube, break it and it would de-value the whole lot.

I think this is good for perth mint, to have a lower premium 1 oz coin will give Australian stackers a cheaper option like ase's do in the U.S.
    the 1 million mintage figure is perfect, remembering this is a lower premium bullion coin, same price as a generic scottsdale omnia.
    except with gov't guaranteed purity and legal tender, really it's a no brainer if your into generic low premium stuff.

I think many will hold a sealed roll or two, won't be long until they sell out if people start thinking monster boxes.

and this is just the start, who know's what the next one will be, and the next, this is a good opportunity to get in to something at the ground level.
    koala's have become irrelevant now, we got the kook's, the lunars for a while, maybe silver roo's and now the croc's, that's all you want.

13. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^
    +100 for the capsule idea.

I read on the GS web, they supply with capsules and hope others will follow too.

Interesting with koalas though, the prior years demand a good premi (even not much on 2012 and 2013 ... yet)

14. xKOxJAKx

xKOxJAKx New Member

I'm interested in these. I would probably buy 2 tubes. Crack one open and have 20 in airtites that I can handle and enjoy and have a sealed roll as well. Anyone know if ProvidentMetals will be stocking these?

15. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

+1 on the capsule idea, but the likelihood of that happening is close to zero. If it costs one penny or takes one second, that's too much for the average dealer to tolerate. I can't think of any unencapsulated coins that any dealers put in capsules.

Provident may (?) get these, but they're never quick with getting popular new stuff---if they get it at all. APMEX will have it sooner, but this one won't very likely be bargain-priced in the US.

16. short_stack

short_stack Member

Goldstackers must be an above average dealer then ;)

From their website
    "Orders for individual coins of less than 10 will be supplied in capsules"

17. xKOxJAKx

xKOxJAKx New Member

Not sure if they will I'm just hoping. They are cheaper then apmex but if I'm forced to pay a little more from apmex I'm not against it.

18. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

dont know if someone answered this or not but is this a permanent design or will they change it to different animals or different designs of crocs every year?

19. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Last time I discussed the coin with the mint, no decision in this regard had been made. It may simply be a one-off design with a totally different release next year.

20. db23

db23 Member

Someone forgot to tell Downies that this is a low cost bullion coin, just got an email from them offering this one for $39.95