Perth Mints 'Saltwater Crocodile' bullion coin breaks cover in Europe

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by AgAuNEWS, May 10, 2014.

1. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

It's not like there's been an increase in silver demand or anything :rolleyes:

2. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Don't think it will be fully mint, once the year have closed it will be declared.

A standard 1 oz. Kooks or Koalas capsules will fits them. Please check the Technical Specifications.

3. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

u dont think they will get to the million? would you wager 3oz? ;)

4. goldpelican

I'll wager a kilo that they do.

5. monopolize

monopolize Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think dealers make a living reselling any products, not just Perth Mint stuff.

The reason this will sell out in my opinion is the low premium. At best you get price appreciation like the early Canadian wildlife's, at worst you've bought yourself silver bullion at not much over generic silver rounds premiums. It really is a no brainer.

6. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

ases, maples, philhars, crocs
    if premiums are the same - crocs will sell out very fast ...

7. goldpelican

Actually there's a bit of a race for dealers to acquire as many of these as possible for the Australian market - I can tell you that every dealer I've seen these listed at in Australia is selling them at lower margins per oz than Kooks or Koalas. Personally I would be better off spruiking higher margin Kooks - but then there will be the usual outcry about how suddenly a coin is no longer available and all those evil overseas distributors bought them up, unfair, unfair, yada yada yada.

I reckon these will be gone before people realise.

8. dollars

dollars Active Member Silver Stacker

Has anyone chased up the best price available on these in bulk?

ie monster box +

(Joey has these for just under $24 but the volume break finishes @ 100 units)

9. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

Totally agree.The Saltie has allowed the Perth Mint to maintain the status quo re. the triumvirate of silver bullion coins already out (Kook, Koala, Lunar), so that pleases buyers and collectors of those, AND they've expanded the range to bring in new buyers and start a new semi-numis cycle.

I can't for the life of me see a valid downside.

10. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

I can need some cash to buy some :D

11. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

This is bullion not collector's coins

The fact they rise in value just an added feature, kind of option

P.S. I am not buying - there too many silver coins before this comes to my attention

12. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

yeah that's right, just a nice bonus. at the end of the day it's low priced silver coinage, bullion priced but with numismatic potential.

bars are so $49 oz, we're at $19 oz now and it's the year of the croc', baby.

so all you bar buyers, come next year the croc's will be different, kook's will be different, panda's & koala's too, but your bars,
    your dirty clunky bars will be the same bars you can buy next year, and the next, for spot.

13. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I understand the flooding theory as it happens in other collectables, but the other side of that coin is stackers choice.
    stackers will simply become more select in what they stack, which in turn puts pressure on mints to produce better product.

I don't believe the official mints of the world are the problem, I think they are simply adjusting to the current market and competition.
    the problem is the generic mints, producing bars & rounds of zombies & anti-Christ themes. they take a big chunk of Perth Mint/US mint/Canadian mints sales.

flooding the market with higher quality product will flush out some of the generics manufacturers.
    in the end stackers will have a higher standard of bullion to stack, then it's just choice.

what does that mean for the current generic zombie rounds? they will float into oblivion, the next generation of junk silver.

14. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

Well said. Best description I've heard yet. I'm looking forward to the day.

15. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

I'd rather have Perth start a new series of cheaper bullion, than to pump up the current kooks. koalas, and lunars. It's not reasonable to expect Perth to stay stagnant when the demand is there.

16. bricklayer

bricklayer New Member

Hi CC,

To give a personal answer to your first question ...

Something like the Croc is a true bullion coin, rather than a semi-numi. Bullion coins are not 'just' bullion, in that they have other features (eg uniformity, legal tender backing, nominal dollar amount, coin shape, ability to perform 'ping' test, recognisability, anti-counterfeiting features, higher resale ability at some local coin shops, and so on). Which of these features appeal to buyers is up to what they want to do with the coin. Some of these matter to me; others do not.

Personally, I want a form of bullion, that's in a coin, and is not a generic round; hence, the bullion coin. I also want one produced in the country I'm in, not somewhere halfway around the world.

And I'm not all that interested in coins that will sell for a higher amount above spot and people will then speculate on in the years to come.

Others may be, and that's where the different products are available for the different buyers, whose purposes are quite different.

17. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

You may or may not be correct but if you are, the degree to which you are will be pretty limited. A million coins isn't a big number of low-premium bullion coins these days
    and the likelihood of that number holding down the resale values of Lunars and Kooks to any meaningful degree is pretty slender. In addition to that, Perth Mint is in the
    business of producing and selling precious metal products---not safeguarding the future profit-making potential of people who've bought their products. I don't think it's
    realistic to expect a business to not carry on and expand their business because doing so might theoretically impact negatively on the future profit-making potential of some
    private individuals. They did at least stop their reminting operations, but I don't expect them to never again start another new bullion coin series for the same reason.

18. goldpelican

Have had a bit of a rummage through what's come today - definitely no milk spots on any coins we've received from the mint.

19. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

i get my crocs tomorrow!! .... FIRST! :D

20. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Im a fan of this concept. Low premium legal tender bullion ticks all the boxes for me so I have just gone and bought some. :)