Perth Mints 'Saltwater Crocodile' bullion coin breaks cover in Europe

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by AgAuNEWS, May 10, 2014.

1. 10ozhound

10ozhound Active Member

Which dealer is not important, I was promptly called by them on Friday and told the Salties were available for pick up.
    It was my impatience more than anything and then hearing that the allotment had been shipped, I was just panicked.

Me in a SHTF scenario = anything but levelheaded.

Great coins, hoping the series continues.

2. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I transferred a tube into airtights today.

Overall they were in the exact condition I expected for bullion coins. A couple of contact marks on some of the rims and some little speckles on the frosted parts which are NOT MILKSPOTS. There was only one coin which has a noticlble mark on it caused by contact. Its not a scratch and may have been done by me when I took the coins from the tube. Even if the mark was made in manufacturing it isnt a significant flaw and I will still be able to sell it down the line with a reasonable premium.

The tube needs improvements. The lid pops open far too easily and the gap between lid and coins is too big. There is about 3mm of rattling space in tube which should also be reduced. Tubes should be strong enough to be able to be dropped from shoulder height without breaking or the top popping/seal breaking. This happens when mail is sorted and delivered...up to 3 or 4 times so make the tube protect the coins properly.

Im happy I bought these. The croc looks great and has wide market appeal. The quality for the price is more than acceptable and matches, or exceeds, other tubed legal tender coins.

No idea of future minting plans for these but the design is a winner and I would happily buy this design each year if they make them again. Just change the year, not the croc. Perth Mint could either keep mintage at a million or make it open if demand warrants it.

3. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

H

4. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

EM

5. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

Got a roll of these in yesterday-all but 3 were good. The 3 were pretty rough though.

6. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

How did you get them so quick? Ainslie gets them in this coming Monday, and as far as I know they're the only ones selling raw coins in rolls. Sorry, please disregard

7. db23

db23 Member

I believe Justfishin is talking about the Croc since his Wedge Tailed Eagles will be shipped with mine ;)

8. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

lol herp derp! I clicked the wrong thread and responded to the post