Perth Mints 'Saltwater Crocodile' bullion coin breaks cover in Europe

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by AgAuNEWS, May 10, 2014.

1. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

[​IMG]
    Source: http://agaunews.com/?p=11159

A one-million mintage, one-ounce silver coin with a similar finish to the 1/2oz Great White Shark. It's started appearing on European websites.

2. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

They broke embargo :rolleyes: Not supposed to be announced until Monday. Not sure if one of the new features has been revealed or not. We're expecting this to displace a lot of SML/ASE sales locally.

I've heard the finish is actually closer to Kooks/Koalas, but haven't sighted the production coin yet.

3. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

It's actually up at four dealers in Germany already and that was just a cursory look. The Perth Mint missed us with this one and we knew it was coming but not when.
    Some German forums had links to dealers as early as Thursday 1st. Annoying. Feel a bit guilty now as we're utterly meticulous with embargo dates but too late to unpublish and it's been out there for 10 days already.

4. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Cool this one looks nice if priced right , do these come in capsules or just tubes like the sharks. Personally i think the 1 oz is a better idea than the 1/2 sharks, but thats just me.

5. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Mintages no more than 1 mil, 25/ tubes uncapsule, a monster box of 20 tubes.
    Special sealed on the tubes.
    Were about to ask some questions. Nevermind. :)
    Dont think this going to last. First coins for the series for 1 oz Ag.
    Hopefully spot plus $2 for them as lesser work involved.

6. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

I like them. Capsules would've been nice, but I'll buy some if the price is right.

7. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

So the shark and this Crocodile are different series since one is 1/2oz and one is 1oz? A few weeks ago, APMEX said this coin would be the 2nd coin of the series, but it looks like both are the first in their series.

8. goldpelican

It's not part of the 1/2oz shark series.

It won't be $2 over spot (capsules aren't that expensive, and there's tubes/monster boxes in the pricing equation), but they will be cheaper than Koalas, and will be very competitive with silver maples, and should be cheaper than silver eagles.

Hope it gets some local support. There's no allocations so locals won't miss out.

9. goldpelican

We are allowed to take orders for them from 12th May (Monday), but I think the bulk of stock is headed overseas first - so stock won't arrive at some dealers until end of May.

Huge dealer demand for these pre-release, there's a few weeks of minting to catch up on before all pre-release distributor orders are fulfilled.

10. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I might get a death roll or two.....

11. wsd_collector

wsd_collector New Member

If they will be priced similar to the Maples, then $2 would be expected (thats how much Maples go for in North America)

I expect closer to $3 over spot based on the fact that Koalas go for about $3.50.

12. goldpelican

I'm referring to Australian pricing. Maples are not available in Australia for $2 over - there's a little thing called the Pacific they need to cross, and customs fees etc. Australian retail businesses can't survive on sub-$1/oz gross markups. Our market is too small, overheads and wages too high.

Obviously I'm not going to publicly detail wholesale pricing, but anyone selling Crocs in Europe or North America at $2 over is likely to be loss leading.

13. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

They comes in tubes not rolls in the monster box.

14. ScrollLock

ScrollLock New Member Silver Stacker

Snazzy looking thing, pity its not in gold.
    And thank god its a 1 ouncer, the 1/2 oz shark, cmon, who buys fractional silver!

15. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

Is it just me who think Perth Mint is churning out way too many coins? They already have so many numis, and now on the bullion side we have kooks, koalas, Lunars, sharks, pacific war memorial, and now crocs!

16. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Yeah and with a million crocs...no thank you. I'll stick with the low mintage kooks and lunars. One thing seems for certain, does appear that there is a shortage of silver. :)

17. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

Way to much stuff out perth mint, waaaayyy to much stuff. Everyone knows perth is the greatest mint. one of the reasons is that they dont churn out millions and millions of crap bullion coins a year in "monster boxes" and tubes, Like canada and america. Very sad. Kooks and lunars were the only low mintage world wide thing the perth mint was making in coin form. Everyone was willing to pay the high premium because everyone wanted ANYTHING the perth mint had. But now with them starting to roll out monster boxes. The perth mint wont be so exclusive anymore and i feel kooks, lunars and koalas might slowly die out..

18. goldpelican

This coin and the two preceding 1/2oz tube coins are the start of a new product range (not series) - Perth could sell a *lot* more silver except that the current mint-to-order Koala is not competitive with other tubed offerings from other mints.

19. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

I think Perth Mint did not put much effort in designing better koala coins, they could learn a page or 2 from China. 2014 koala looks like a souvenir token from Aliens vs Predators.

If Perth Mint launch new bullion program with wedged-tail eagle that will be a major hit. Australia could have their own ASE too (Australia Silver Eagle anyone?)

By the way the new croc series is not commissioned by German dealers again... Right?

20. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Maybe we will see just that or...the Kangaroo. :)

2014 Australian Wedge-Tailed Eagle - Silver Bullion Coin

The design on the 2014 Australian Wedge-Tailed Eagle (1oz) silver bullion coin, consists of a Wedge-tailed Eagle landing on a tree stump superimposed on a circle. The coin includes the following inscriptions 'AUSTRALIAN WEDGE-TAILED EAGLE'', '2014 1oz 999 SILVER', and the initials of the designer John Mercanti (JM).

2015 Australian Kangaroo Silver Bullion Coin

The design on the 2015 Australian Kangaroo (1oz) silver bullion coin, consists of a pattern of shapes representing stylised sunrays forming a circle around a representation of a kangaroo. The coin includes the following inscriptions 'AUSTRALIAN KANGAROO' and '2015 1oz 999 SILVER' and edge lettering consisting of the word 'AUSTRALIA' repeated three times. This coin also has an additional security feature on the coin of micro lettering.

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2013L02142/Explanatory Statement/Text