[opinion] 2012 Singapore coin show proof panda

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by PeeZapp, Mar 28, 2012.

1. badhop55

badhop55 New Member

I've got a 2011 MS70 1oz Panda with a milk spot that just showed up. Also a friend of mine has a 2011 raw 1oz Panda with a ginormous spot as well. My 2010 MS70 Pandas look fine. I have no idea what past Panda years have experienced regarding milk spots but I have to wonder, with mintages moving into the millions so quickly, is quality control being left behind?

2. comeaux

comeaux Member Silver Stacker

Nope I do not own a Panda with milkspots.

90% of my collection that has been graded has been NCS conserved so not sure if this is a contributing factor or not and the few coins that I have purchased graded if they arrived with spots I returned them which has only been a few.

I'm not sure if this is very accurate but from what I hear is most people had issues with the 2011 Pandas.

Honestly I have 20 graded 2011's and also still have a complete sealed sheet in OMP and they are flawless.

There have been many posts here and at CCF about white spots and the preponderance of evidence points to impurities which are inherent in the minting process introduced during production of the planchets.

Others assert that storage in high humidity contributes to spots as well but I really don't know. The bank boxes I'm using for storage are at a constant 72 degrees Fahrenheit and very low humidity.

As far as the varieties I would believe that those people who bought their 5 oz at the Singapore show are the ones who got the initial 255 run since they sold out at the show and started taking order forms after that.

I skipped out on the five oz for now and only bought a 1 oz as right now I'm interested in other items but may pick up a graded one at some time in the future. As I stated earlier the 4 ordered for thor122 are beautiful and flawless.

3. shibaji

shibaji New Member

4. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I suspect that the previous owner has been to "Hi jacked threads" #**** look at how the rush for it. :p with complement posted by our friend Ladybird.(edited due to after affect) :)

5. Lim

Lim New Member

item : 150799630785

6. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Thanks for the link it is very interesting stuff I did not see anything about white spots but still interesting. I would have to disagree about the coas given out in the order the orders were received though because I ordered the same day they went online the lady was actually suprised I had even saw them up yet, and I have pretty high coa numbers.

7. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Are you trying to suck us good little boys and girls into the hijacked threads section??

8. pushingtin

pushingtin Member Silver Stacker

My 5oz singapore panda is on the way... cant wait to receive it but I have a question:

From the pictures of others, it looks like the panda comes sealed. I understand that most people would want to keep it in the original plastic for resale purposes but I want to put mine on display and perhaps sell at a later stage. Will I lose out alot by taking the coin out when I decide to sell?

I assume the response will be something in the lines of: If you keeping it, then take it out - if you plan to resell then keep it in plastic. I get that, and I am sure most will agree that all our coins are investments at the end of the day - so what to do??

9. ikegass

ikegass New Member

10. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

actually there was a youtube video that may explain about the milk spot. but the threads were closed down.

11. Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin New Member

^ I'm also interested in opinions on retaining Pandas in OMP, not that I can afford a 5oz job ATM.

Browsing the web some say not to, because the materials used in the OMP are bad for the coins, others say you should. I even read comments from one person, on MCC, who strongly recommended both options in the same thread??

So I would also welcome answers to pushingtin's Q

12. shibaji

shibaji New Member

13. shibaji

shibaji New Member

Why not slab it and display ? I see the main benefit of slabbing two folds:

1. Provides a protective cover
    2. Provides sustainable and authenticated value

With sealed OMP, it risks environmental damage, but the aesthetic value they carry is way more than any slabbed coin. For long term, NCS/NGC is the way to go if you do not have exceptionally well climate controlled storage. This is my take on the subject. Having said that, I do have at least 50% OMP - and I know I am taking a risk.

For your particular case, which is guaranteed to get exposed to climate, do slab.

14. Lim

Lim New Member

For this coin , mine is on the way to NCC and NGC cause as mentioned already saw a few milk spot on some coins .
    Do not want to risk it ..
    No point being penny wise and pound foolish for me since i want it in my safe for the next 20 years.

15. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

I was just on panda america website, and they are not offering the silver 5 oz or 1 0z for sale any longer.does anyone know if they are sold out????

16. shibaji

shibaji New Member

They are sold out as far as I know - I think you can call them and say you want one, and they will try to find one for you.

17. SA@YPS

SA@YPS New Member

Received my 3 5oz pandas today. From what info I can gather, 1 is from the broken die and the other 2 are the 3rd variety. Anyone have any info on how rare the third variety is?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

I dont know how many time they remain in omp and are good. But i send my first 10 coins to ncs and ngc. (thank yennus for cherry pick it). And comeaux (for all your help) say to me all are graded 69s. 2000gz. (12 years old). 2 x 1996ld and 2x 1996 SD all 1 oz silver
    And1/2 oz silver: 2x 1996, 2x 1997 and 1x 1995
    All in omp for (17,16 and 15 years).

19. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Congrats on getting 69 on your GZ! I didn't want to risk getting a 68 so I bought a 69 and keeping the OMP lol :p

20. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

congrats Thor Horrah! 10 out of 10 69,s very nice!!, ok I got my 5/ 1oz 2012 Singapore,s today, very odd ,they came 2 together in OMP Shenzhen Guobao mint but one side of the omp was open ,even the 2 joined together where open in the center between the 2 coins joined together, it truly looks like they came from the mint that way , I dont think panda america opened them anyone else experience this,sticker says 3/19 coa are 03029 to 03033