New 2014 Proof Britannia is an absolute beauty

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by AgAuNEWS, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Madonna mia. I will fall in love. In girl on coin. :)

Don't want to offence any worshipper of the Queen or something but on reverse they should put the other side of Britannia. That would be even hotter! ;)

@Pirocco: imagine that during the day you will slay dragons with Britannia and in the night she would lay next to you in sing you songs in her soft voice and gently touch you....

^^

2. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

With that helmet I think I'll need to do all the dragonslaying work myself.
    Whatever happens later on, I hope that helmet won't be part of it. :p

3. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I've come across the first listed (that I have noticed) 2014 5 oz Proof Britannia being offered on eBay for a cool $1,000.00 + (includes shipping cost):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Britann...51792?pt=US_Bullion_Coins&hash=item486be40870

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but this coin is still available directly from the Royal Mint, yes? (I haven't checked the RM website recently)

Don't let the beauty and suppleness of Britannia fool you; she has slain many a foolhardy man who had made that same mistake. :)

4. Pirocco

5. Pirocco

I just saw that the website says "Estimated delivery is early September"

6. mmissinglink

Customers who pre-ordered are just receiving theirs now...mine came the day I posted pics. The US Mint also usually mentions later shipping months than when most customers actually receive the coins if pre-ordering in the event that a glitch in the shipping pops up. And for those who get the 5 oz Proof silver Britannia before September, that's probably the normal shipping timeframe.

Be patient Ccheeks, I don't think you will have to wait more than another week.

7. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

My order was updated to "completed" and Royal Mint gave me a tracking number via email. Problem is the tracking number does not exist and I am not able to track it on Royal Mail.

Emailed Royal Mint and I was told to wait patiently for the next 30 days. I guess I will have to sit at the sideline and admire everyone who got their coins. :(

8. mmissinglink

That does suck...sorry to hear it. If the tracking number the Mint gave you is a Royal Mail number....it should exist in the Royal mail system as a legit number, no?

9. Pirocco

So Royal Mint enters the shipment in the shipping companies system already now, while their production only delivers it 3-4 weeks from now?

And that's weird practice, announcing on website over X weeks, to deliver already now.
    One would assume that they don't want to risk potential customers that 'believe' it, to buy it from those that already received it, and were willing to pay a tad more for the sooner possesion?

And while I'm busy on weird things, maybe another one, doesn't Royal Mint produce these coins as a single uninterrupted operation? No die changes, no recalibrations, no swapping between kinds of jobs to do, but a single batch? In the end, this is just 600 coins, and Royal Mint is not like a small handcrafting garage business, or am I wrong here?

10. Pirocco

Maybe that "tracking number" was the amount seconds you need to count down. :p

11. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

previously the 5oz was expected to deliver by end July, and the 1oz is early August. I guess Royal Mint decided to ship both of my coins together thus the slight delay.

And I believe Royal Mint does not mint the proof coins all at one go, and later on destroy those unsold copies. They should have minted limited quantities to fulfil small orders, but when these limited quantities are sold out they extend the delivery schedule (5oz now delivers in Sept).

Just my thought. And to mmissinglink yes I was given a tracking number RIxxxxxxxxxGB, and I am pretty sure this is a Royal Mail tracking number (my past 6 Royal Mint orders are delivered through Royal Mail). Guess I just have to wait.

12. Pirocco

Ah so it's due to postponing.
    I now have to think about the Mexican Mint story, where they recently announced to melt older minted and unsold coins to have the Mexican silver for 2014 coin sets not way too late for delivery.
    So one may wonder what is the biggest pain, if not both equal. All the extra mess / inefficiency / costs related to minting on order, versus just minting all 600 in one batch, sell upon order, to melt an eventual remainder for new. Not that I have an idea, I know nothing about how easy or hard die swapping / recalibration / changing number of strikes etc is, relative to the other jobs involved in the whole.

13. mmissinglink

That's interesting. I would have thought that the RM would produce all 600 (2014) 5 oz silver Britannia's in one shot. But it makes more sense with what you are stating....that they don't. And the evidence, it seems, is that only some orders were fulfilled in early August while other orders for the same coin will not be fulfilled till September. I did place an order for the coin on the same day AgAuNews created this thread. I just knew that I did not want to miss out on this extraordinary Britannia and having to pay higher premiums in the aftermarket was not a good thought to have for me...so I ordered and got done with it early.

So the max mintage is 600. If some don't sell, the actual or declared mintage will bring that figure down....do i have this right? I don't know much if anything at all about the Royal Mint's production policies on limited mintage coins like the 5 oz Britannia proof.

14. trozau

trozau Member

Got some old Britannia issues from a coin show I went to today...
    1997 UK BU 100 Pound Britannia gold (Britannia as Boadicea on Chariot)
    2001 UK BU 100 Pound Britannia gold (Britannia as Una and the Lion)
    2003 UK BU 100 Pound Britannia gold (Britannia as Helmeted Athena)

Plus another current year...
    2014 Canada BU C$50 Five Blessings gold

[​IMG]

15. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

Yes, refer to here (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannia_(coin)), Royal Mint will release final sales figures at a much later date and these figures are available on Royal Mint website. Sometimes it gets sold out, sometimes the final sales is less than their declared mintages. I suspect the 5oz 2013 Britannia proof should have a mintage much lower than 1,150.

16. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I am confused about the mintages.

The 1oz has two separate mintage figures:

Maximum Coin Mintage: 5,300 (under specification tab)
    Limited Edition Presentation: 2,500

What does this mean? (thx, answered below)

17. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

Of 5,300 maximum mintage...
    2,500 goes to single coin proof set
    1,750 goes to 6-coins set
    1,050 remaining probably goes to commemorative events or other use

18. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

[​IMG]

by the way this is what printed on the COA of my 2013 Britannia proof 1oz.

and this is what Royal mint advertised when I purchased my coin...
    Link: http://www.royalmint.com/shop/2013_Britannia_One_Ounce_Silver_Coin?tab=specification#productdetails

It is deceiving with the "2,500" mintage. In no where on their website was mentioned that the maximum mintage was 8,500... 3x more than what it stated on their website. :rolleyes:

Only when I receive the coin, open the mint packaging and tada... "8,500". At least this year they did not deceive me again, glad to see reduced mintage from 8,500 to 5,300.

19. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Very amazing indeed. How frequently do they update the percentage sold?

20. Luker

Luker Member

hmmm...kind of a bait and switch , or obfuscation at least...now I am concerned regarding my 5 oz 2014 Proof purchase as it too has advertised "Just 600 coins in this Limited Edition Presentation" with the Specification tab showing: Maximum Coin Mintage 600 ...could they still decide to release a 3 coin set (ie. 1,2,and 5oz )in the future? Wouldn't they lose credibility? Has this issue arisen before?

Cheers, Luker