New 2014 Proof Britannia is an absolute beauty

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by AgAuNEWS, Jul 1, 2014.

1. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

Wow you are fast! Some of the earlier year Britannias can be quite costly.

Earlier years Britannias tone easily as most of the time the coin capsules are not tighten when they are shipped from the mint. This is especially apparent on smaller size silver coins (1/4oz and 1/10oz is most apparent in coin sets, single 1-ounce proof not so much).

So far my 2013 Britannia is still in perfect shape, no spots no toning but it is too early to tell.

2. mr-dead

mr-dead Member

Just spotted this thread and have now pre ordered the 5oz proof :)

not cheap at 395 but with a 600 mintage im hoping its a fairly safe bet.

3. lostwords

lostwords New Member

I am surprise that it's not ssold out yet.. the 5oz with the low mintage..

4. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: 60% sold and climbing! It is only slightly over 1 month since its release.

5. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Everyone here knows that I have no problem expressing my honest opinion about things in no apologetic way...I shoot from the hip. If I see a coin as being ugly as sin (like the Zeus and Poseidon crap coins) then I'd say it even if I own the coins. When I tell you that I was not disappointed in the least (and I was actually a lot more pleased from my initial expectations) with paying 395 for the 2014 Proof Britannia after I received it, I am being honest because that's who I am.

There's no hiding the fact that I really like this coin....one of my favorite coin purchases since I started in 2012. Of course, to each their own and I, more than most, understand about not being able to afford the cost of this coin because of other purchases I've made or am considering making. If it comes down to being a choice between this coin or taking your cat to the vet for needed medical treatment then certainly forego this coin until a time when you have the money.

Just like probably all of us here, we have wasted far more than 395 on stuff that we have literally zero to show for it. I've drank away more than that cost - in beer and libations - in one summer (years ago). In 2012, when I first got enlightened about owning precious metals products (as a way to invest my fiat money into a "safe haven" asset) I payed hundreds of dollars for a couple of common 2012 Perth Mint silver bullion fugly-Dragon coins because I didn't know better and because there was rumor around at that time (untrue, in hindsight) that some very wealthy Chinese guy was buying up all the 2012 Dragon coins....what did I know....I was a newbie. I like very little about the 2012 Perth Dragon coins....perhaps the only thing I do like is that it is part of a popular series of well made silver coins. The fact that they weigh several ounces...well, big deal. Those were poor decisions (to purchase at the prices I paid) then and they'd be even poorer choices now.

The thing to keep in mind is that there will always be people like me who will pay more than issue price for something they perceive will have greater value down the road. It doesn't take much for some people to jump onto a particular bandwagon.

But clearly, from the comments by SilverStackers members, the Royal Mint has produced a clear winning design here with the 2014 5 oz Silver Proof Britannia. The production quality of the coin is phenomenal and the entire presentation of it (luxurious leather case, etc) is no less stellar in my view (now that I actually own it). All of this quality costs money to design and produce. If the coin were being minted in the (tens of) thousands then these costs could be spread out over more product. But of course there's going to be a significant premium on such a coin, especially if only 600 are minted.

All the time I see proof or special finish coins that have mintage numbers in the thousands being called "very low mintage", "scarce", or "rare". 600 compared to 6,000 (or thousands more than that even) is a big difference in production and availability.

Anyway, even if you only buy coins that you think will appreciate in value over time as opposed to buying coins that you really like, I think the 2014 5 oz silver Britannia will fit that criteria because I think it's being well received for a Britannia (and could start a buying trend which would sell the coin out thereby pushing the value up) and because of the quality and low mintage.

6. Luker

Luker Member

OMG...just happened upon this thread today and had to have her! Put in a pre-order ...complete impulse purchase...I've never paid paid such a premium for a coin...of course subject to availability...she would look real nice beside my 1 oz Gold Proof 2008 Libertad which should arrive next week. I really need to stop these numismatic buys and get back to stacking bullion though! This forum is pure evil and is going to spell my demise! ;)

Cheers,
    Luker

7. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

mmissinglink look at what you have done? Now Royal Mint will have 5oz proof sold out tomorrow! :D

8. mmissinglink

Yeah, join the club buddy...there are many others here who are doing the same. I think that's where Silverhaulics Anonymous membership comes in handy! See you and the rest at the next meeting. :)

9. trozau

trozau Member

The 2014 UK proof Britannia design by Jody Clark is the first and only non-Philip Nathan Britannia design that I like. Kudos to the BRM for this year's Jody Clark Britannia design. Hope she comes up with more exceptional Britannia designs for future years (like Philip Nathan did from 1987 - 2005) . :cool:

10. mmissinglink

In the sense that Jodi Clark is apparently a very talented female coin designer/engraver, I am reminded a little of coin and medallic sculptor/engraver Heidi Wastweet (Silver Bullet - Silver Shield fame)....
    https://www.youtube.com/user/vastvedt

11. S. Ohno

S. Ohno Member

12. trozau

trozau Member

D'oh! I assumed Jody Clark was female based on the name. My bad! :cool:

13. mmissinglink

The 2014 Britannia is provocative and sexy...I think many can agree on that...but women artists have depicted women figures in very sexy, provocative ways and so it's really not a stretch at all to have assumed (like I did too) that Jody isn't a gal.

Look at the work of female fine artist's Olivia De Berardinis and Julie Bell...their depictions of females is anything but prudish and instead rather quite scintillating.

14. S. Ohno

S. Ohno Member

Hmmm...I am not sure about that...I vote for Boris :) (right one by Julie Bell)

[​IMG]

She is Captain Britain's sister or something, so maybe the 2015 Britannia design.

15. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

Everytime I look at that pic my focus dwarfs to that helmet. It's like putting a 5 kilo steel ball on a chickens back. Run? :p

16. libertadiac

libertadiac Member Silver Stacker

Why the fuck not?

17. libertadiac

Yes

18. libertadiac

Pre 2013 was 958 Britannia Silver not sterling - no scratches; no spots. Beautiful coins.

19. mmissinglink

Pirocco, sometimes you say smart things and sometimes very dumb things.

First of all, Britannia is a warrior. She came to be personified, in the 2nd Century, as a goddess, armed with a trident and shield and wearing a Corinthian helmet. A warrior goddess is strong and fierce and she can kick your and my ass together very easily. :) So she has no problem wearing a heavy Corinthian helmet...to her, it's not heavy, only to you it is. :rolleyes:

http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/s-12-greek-helmets.aspx

20. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

Sorry but I see more Calimero than Britannia.