New 2014 Proof Britannia is an absolute beauty

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by AgAuNEWS, Jul 1, 2014.

1. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

until now only mmissinglink can answer that, as he is the only forumer here in possession with the actual 5oz proof Britannia.

2. Danny-boy

Danny-boy New Member

No, maximum mintage is just that.

600 in that presentation is because that's the only way to get the 5oz.

They state both as with some coins the max mintage is more than that specific presentation method.

3. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

I'm not that surprised. The 5oz coin is rather expensive at BP395 EUR495 USD661 AUD709. It's 5 times spot and more than 2 times other proofs, even based on a per ounce price, and normally bigger coins should be cheaper per ounce. It's okay if you REALLY like it and want to have 1. But to buy them solely to resell at an extra, not sure about that. Over 360 of 600 sold. Ebay might tell what price people will be willing to pay.
    If I had euro's to swap I'd rather buy me a painting with a brittania or similar 'ass' (eXcUse Meh my rude to the point coming!) on it and a libertad kilocoin for just a tad more.
    Just me! :D

4. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

The eBay seller from the USA who is selling the 5 oz 2014 proof Britannia had 4 coins listed when I first saw the listing, if my memory serves me right. Now there are only 3 available. Could mean nothing or it could mean he sold one off eBay to avoid fees.

I think Pirocco is secretly getting a couple of the 5 oz awesome Britannia coins but is just making it appear that he's not. :)

No doubt, Pirocco, it is an expensive coin but there are plenty of other coins that are more expensive per ounce of silver straight from the mint.

Here's one of several silver coin (sets) which per the ounce, the coins are more expensive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8-9J4o4vVg

As for the 600 mintage, I believe that Danny-boy nailed it on the head (above). 600 is max...period. But 600 sales may not be reached then the total sold of the 600 becomes the important figure to look at.

5. Sully

Sully Member

On the back of my 5oz coa, it states a max mintage of 1,350. The 600 only applies to "this specific style" (i.e. single coin, leather box, illustrated outer sleeve).
    The RM certainly do have plans to issue a further 750 5oz coins, in a presentation they have yet to decide on, regardless of how many of the 600 presentation sell. And on that, there is no doubt of them selling out - it's a fantastic coin.
    I knew it was going to be high relief, but seeing the high relief first-hand is breathtaking.

[​IMG]

6. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for that. On their website, separate from the limited edition presentation mintage, they actually specify that:

Maximum Coin Mintage: 600

Here's the link: http://www.royalmint.com/shop/The_B...r_Proof_Coin?tab=specification#productdetails

7. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

What?? They pulled this off again? Oh c'mon 600 is very low mintage but 1,350 is even higher than 2013's!

8. SpacePete

9. libertadiac

libertadiac Member Silver Stacker

The 1 oz Proof has gone from 77 pounds to 92.5. Wow

The Britannia 2014 One Ounce Silver Proof Coin

One full ounce of 999 fine silver and a Limited Edition Presentation of 2,500
    Designed by one of The Royal Mint's talented engravers
    With a stylishly designed booklet on the story of Britannia

Product code: BR14SO

10. SpacePete

That's the price with VAT. Us Aussies will see 77 pounds when we sign in to our account. :)

11. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

I don't mind Royal Mint puts xxxx with limited presentation of yyyy, but putting xxxx as maximum mintage and the COA says another is totally wrong.

I trust the COA over Royal Mint's website.

12. libertadiac

13. Sully

Sully Member

It's a strange thing, but i remember the specs page on RM site saying the correct number 1350 when the 2014 range first appeared on their site.
    A few days later it was changed to 600.
    Curious. Does this mean the mint have abandoned plans to mint beyond 600? (but didn't change the coa's)
    Or were they so tired of being contacted about their plans for the next 750, that they just removed the figure of 1350 from the specs page?

But hey, i can honestly say it doesn't bother me. This one is in my top 5 coins. It'll never be sold on.
    And that kind of reminds me - some people mentioned the extreme premium cost of this coin.
    Yeah, very true. It's the same for all the RM proof coins.
    Believe me, i'm often to be heard... er...turtle-ing at the screen when browsing their stuff (especially as i have to pay the VAT).

As a part time stacker myself, i totally understand how we all calculate the silver spot content versus retail price of proofs.
    It's natural to do this, and i have often changed my mind about buying this or that issue from many mints based on this.
    But....
    this britannia is quite simply in a league of its own. It's a work of art. It can't be viewed in terms of silver content or spot values or premium.
    It surpasses all those things. For it's beauty of design (thank you Mr Clark!), crafted in high relief in a 65mm precious metal disk- i don't regret a single penny of the purchase price.

You know how we all from time to time have an uninitiated relative or a friend say "so, you collect coins? show me one"
    .........This IS that one you will bring out

14. mmissinglink

I will contact the Royal Mint shortly regarding the "maximum coin mintage" discrepancy. When I placed my order, I was going by the "maximum coin mintage - 600" claim from the website. It is confusing and even a bit misleading.

I'm going to send my coin back to the Royal Mint for a refund unless someone here wants it for half price.
    ( um, that last comment I was just joking about...sorry, my humor needs a little work :) )

I will let you all know what the RM has to say regarding this issue.

EDIT: I just completed sending my letter to the customer service agent who I'd been in contact with after placing my order.

15. mmissinglink

Well put Sully!!

16. libertadiac

It seems the Royal Mint thinks I'm in the UK.

17. libertadiac

Um sorry, no. Only those the Royal Mint thinks are in the UK. Actually about $612.

18. libertadiac

So, the 20 pounds for 20 pounds are legal tender and have no VAT?
    I would buy these if in UK.

Outbreak 2014 UK 20 Fine Silver Coin

Rating5

26 reviews

Struck in fine silver
    A new Britannia design marks the troops' bravery
    The first 20 for 20 coin sold out
    Only 250,000 available - a very limited edition
    Limited to 5 per billing household

Product code: UK1420FW

19. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

This is what I said when the 2014 Britannia proof was released. In 2013 Royal Mint advertised their 1oz proof with 2,500 mintage on their website but on the COA it mentioned 8,500. However the 5oz proof wes written 1,150 mintage on both their website and on the COA.

Fast forward a year later which is this year, Royal Mint announced true mintage for its 1oz proof Britannia... 5,300 (it was 4,800 upon release but revised) with 2,500 in limited presentation packaging. However for the 5oz the mintage jump from 600 to 1,350, and this was not mentioned anywhere on their website.

They can package the coins in limited presentation packaging, or in a mint roll for all I care, but maximum mintage to me only means the maximum number of coins struck regardless of how you present it. Just like Perth Mint kooks, carded or non carded they all form part of their 300,000 mintage.

Now Royal Mint shows 60% sold for the 5oz... But they still have the remaining half of its total mintage still in their inventory...

20. SpacePete

Seems to be. Shows as 20 pounds when I login while other coins appear cheaper.