New 2014 Proof Britannia is an absolute beauty

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by AgAuNEWS, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Silver91

Silver91 Member

does anyone know how much shipping is to australia?

2. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

12.50 pounds for international delivery.

I think it is fixed rate no matter how many coins you ordered. Based on my order in 2013, I ordered 3 different coins at the same time and RM shipped them separately and they only charged one time for shipping... 12.50 pounds.

3. Silver91

Silver91 Member

4. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

5. jazzy988

jazzy988 Member

The design may be a an absolute beauty but despite their low mintage, the coins aren't exactly flying off the shelf.

6. JMelton

JMelton New Member

Does anyone in the states carry these?

7. libertadiac

libertadiac Member Silver Stacker

I can't help with 5oz, but the 1 oz is pretty good
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

The RM did a spectacular job with the design and minting of these proof coins. Tremendous amount of eye appeal.

9. mmissinglink

The 2014 Silver Proof 5 oz Britannia in all her beauty.....

[​IMG]
    Mirror like fields and frosty proof portrait and devices

[​IMG]
    Both obverse and reverse detail is spectacular and full depth relief

[​IMG]
    Luxurious leather box

[​IMG]
    Retail box

[​IMG]
    Holographic security emblem

[​IMG]
    COA serial number

10. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

wow that is gorgeous! Mine was shipped from Royal Mint yesterday, will post a photo together with both 1oz and 5oz when I got them. :)

The 1oz proof has mirrored globe but the 5oz has matte. The 5oz looks pretty high relief to me... now if 2015 can have an ultra high relief... :p

p/s: Royal Mint now shows 60% sold for the 5oz proof, it took months for Royal Mint to sell their 2013 5oz.

11. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi YRH,

Do share the difference of 5 oz and 1 oz. I still struggling of which to choose. 5 oz premium is too high and not many lover for Britannia all a long. However, I love 5 oz than 1 oz for this design.

12. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

Scroll up few post above, there are actual coin photos of the 1oz and 5oz. So far only difference I can see is the 5oz is high relief (Britannia's butt looks 3D!) and the globe is in matte. The 1oz proof looks flat and the globe is in mirrored finish.

This is different from last year's Britannia; both 1oz and 5oz are exactly the same designs. Both are highly polished mirrored finish, I shot the coins at a slight angle so the coins look matte.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

By the way Royal Mint started the first 5oz Britannia last year (2013) thus the collector's demand is still a big "?". However past years 1oz Britannia proof has appreciated nicely due to their extremely low mintages. Do a check on eBay, Britannia proof 1oz are sold in range of S$180-400 depending on rarity.

However I did emailed APMEX last year on the buyback price for my 2013 Britannia proof 5oz... and they replied 2% above spot :D :D :D

To answer your question, I stack both 1oz and 5oz mainly because 1oz is a continuation of my 1oz proof Britannia since 1997. 5oz starts a new series.

14. mmissinglink

You only live once, go for the 5 oz proof Britannia because you love it...that's as good reason as any to buy this coin.

Personally, I don't look to buy exquisitely crafted, very low mintage silver proof coins based on how close the coin is being sold by the mint to the spot price of silver....I buy these type of coins because they are beautiful. It's not that different than if I were a bicycle enthusiast (I know one and he has about a dozen bicycles) and I was looking to buy a bike because it is exquisitely made, not because it's very low cost. The truth is, as an enthusiast, I would already have at least a few basic low cost bikes for practical reasons but maybe I just want one that I can feel really good about owning for more than practical reasons. As a silver enthusiast, I already have low cost silver (blobs) but now I want a piece that is special.

I'm just bummed a bit that I wasn't even aware of a 2013 5 oz proof Britannia until AgAuNEWS created this thread. I am glad though that I was able to place an order for the more appealing (in my view) 2014 5 oz proof Britannia.

AndrewLee10, when you receive your 5 oz silver proof Britannia, please also share pictures.

15. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

well, GBP395 for the 5oz Britannia proof (mintage of 600) is on par with the selling price of equivalent coins from other mints. In fact both 1oz and 5oz proof Britannias have similar premium% above spot (around 6-7x spot).

If you want low premium (in percentage), you may opt for the gold proof version... which is 2x spot for the coin sets.

p/s: I think AgAuNews wasn't started yet back in 2013 when Royal Mint released the 2013 Britannia proof isn't it?

16. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

For the guys in Australia who ordered the 5 oz Proof Britannia, was the total cost in AUD around $725?

17. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Really nice coin, especially for the 5 oz.

Sadly the price is too prohibitive for me. This coin is definitely for the collector!

18. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

If it had been a chicken that helmet would have made it sit on its ass with its legs spreaded 180

19. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi Guy thx for opinion.

I just started Britannia. I most likely to go 5oz for 2014. Too many purchase of China panda and modern numic this month. I will wait till month end and grab it.

The 1997, 2003, 2007 and 2009 Britannia ladies are at my home now (4 coins set). I am aiming the 2004 or 2006 standing britannia at right price. The gold gilded set of 2006 is a beauty.

Britannia easy to tone as compare to others coins due to the poor design of the capsule.

How about the 2013 with .999 silver content vs .925?

20. chubbycheeks

chubbycheeks Member

That's disappointing still no shipping notification from the RM. The pics look amazing, the goddess is looking so FINE.