Inflation news - going backwards with a boom

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by JulieW, Oct 22, 2012.

1. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Take two FFS everyone.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Fair call GP... but you can only take the constant goading, trolling and antagonism for so long.

I think it would take a brave individual to say Reno hasn't had this level of response coming for a long time.

3. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

Never said that in fact my statement clearly shows the opposite, all I advocate is that wealth does not make a person good or bad. There are good and bad wealthy people as well as poor people which I assume is common sense unfortunately if you look at you and luckyluke statements it seems it's not so common.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

That's a fair statement and I agree.

I have a very real concern for the growing ideology here and abroad that right or wrong concerning wealth generation is irrelevent - it's only the end result that counts.

There's very real, inherent danger in that train of thought but unfortunately, that's exactly what some people will advocate to you when you ask the question it as the final arbiter of truth and moral absolute.

It's a very grey area of debate (right or wrong), but I'm yet to see anyone who profits from the wrong side of it admit as much.

Classic case in point :

March 2012, a former Goldman executive, Greg Smith, wrote an op-ed for the New York Times titled "Why I Am Leaving Goldman Sachs", in which he heavily criticized the firm's top leadership and Blankfein in particular, writing "When the history books are written about Goldman Sachs, they may reflect that the current chief executive officer, Lloyd C. Blankfein, and the president, Gary D. Cohn, lost hold of the firm's culture on their watch."[17]

Smith's op-ed was criticized by many, particularly because he worked at Goldman for 12 years before deciding to quit due to supposed moral objections, but also shed some light on the firm's internal culture, stating, for example, that executives refer to unsophisticated clients as "muppets" and use a strategy of "elephant hunting" to systematically take advantage of their own clients.[17] Commenting on Smith's criticism of Blankfein for such seemingly unprincipled leadership, particularly after saying in a 2009 interview that the firm was "doing God's work",[18] comedian Stephen Colbert pointed out that Blankfein never specified which god, and speculated that it was perhaps Shiva, Lord of Destruction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloyd_Blankfein

Some of our most destructive elements in society will hide behind the shield of assumed morality and remain blinded by personal bias, from the top down.

We see it clear as crystal when the sociopaths in power do it, but are almost completely oblivious to it when it happens down at 'our' level.

5. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

thats funny some of the richest people i know are the funniest most casual ,helping individuals that share information on how & why they do things .

One thing they all have in common is they dont tolerate fools & are hard to put BS past . I have heard all sorts of hilarious stories of how people with far less than them try to give financial advice .Usually ending in yeah right i'll do that so i end up in the poor house like them . What does he think im stupid ending with a big hearty laugh

I think thats where they shine because instead of getting sucked into any hype the make decisions on a fiscal not emotional level .

Im really happy the mentors i have had over the years spent the time to help & shared their information ..Without those people giving real life experiences im sure the message would not have been so loud & clear . I like the warts & all stories of success & woe they are usually sad/funny/informative . When you can relate to a story on a few different levels it stays with you .

Thats one of the reasons i have a laugh here at times .Life is multi dimensional its not all serious like some here try to make it . I know that some dont like the fact i laugh at them but thats me i would do it to your face . All the name calling doesnt have any effect on me ....none it makes me giggle to see someone that gets so angry over nothing have a royal tantrum . It tells me a lot about that person .

6. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

I also agree with most of your statements but since it is too difficult to judge each person by their action individually, I just refrain from generalising as our degree of morality is different and who is to say my morality is worth more than yours or vice versa thus unless something is objectively wrong (based on current society standards) I try not to comment even if it offends me personally.

7. radiobirdman

radiobirdman Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What is morality in any given time or place ? it is what the majority then and there happen to like, and immorality is what they dislike .

8. renovator

Morality is a self imposed barrier depending on your beliefs ....

9. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

100% agree because it's obvious it's a construct of our natural internal programming (instincts) plus social meme's plus personal preference. In many ways instincts and meme's are what have fundamentally enabled humans to evolve to the point that we exist and are here to have a discussion about the last two. Consequently, basic morality like thou shalt not initiate fraud, force or violence against another person or their property are essentially endemic within any well defined societal group.

One of the gradual awakenings over the past few hundred years is that we now understand the very mechanisms that have led us to acknowledge that such instincts exist and where they come from. In grandiose sounding words we have the opportunity to build on those awakenings and develop new societal memes that will enable humanity to survive, thrive and inhabit at least a handful of the planets surrounding the septillion stars that are in existence or we can turn to the intrinsic, decay, rotting flesh and dust that is inherently the path that the majority of species that have ever existed have taken.

Pretending that the self imposed barriers are totally useless is a flawed and dangerous concept that is simply a guaranteed path to extinction evidenced by the very fact that we exist now and have barriers.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

A laughable quote from the man who self confessed he's the 'most moral person I know'

11. renovator

Why do you laugh grasshopper ? my barrier is just a bit more evolved & further down the path than yours .

12. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Mmmpph. Doubtful it is a little bit more "evolved" as you have been openly advocating theft if it is simply done deviously enough. It is more wrong by current standards (if more people understood what you were knowingly doing) and is actually a "devolution" toward the decay I was talking about earlier.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

You are more backwards than you appreciate.

You think you're a trail blazer, but the reality is you're just one of the herd.

Oh don't get me wrong, you just get to wear the special collar in the barn yard to make you think you're above it all, but at the end of the day you just did what everyone else did who couldn't make it through any other innovative means.

Rentier capitalist on leveraged debt, subsidised by the public purse and guaranteed by a corrupt government?

How original.

Even the accountant down at HR & Block would advise you of the same.

The condescending use of the term 'grasshopper' would imply you're the teacher and I'm the student?

Keep telling yourself that, maybe at least one of us then might actually believe it. You seem to have the most difficult time just keeping up with the most simple fundamental concepts I try and portray to you.

Usually your rebuttals come down to 'Oh YEAH? Well I've got money and property and stuffs, so WHO CARES WHAT YOU THINK?!??!!?'

I've seen that highly evolved level of thinking somewhere before...

14. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

Is this still about inflation?? I've read most (not all) of this thread, and one comment stands out to me as being true. If the price of stuff goes up, and you find you don't have enough money, "MAKE MORE MONEY"
    Another thing I saw that I thought was interesting was the pic of the workers, "the way to grow poor-The way to grow rich" .
    Here's what I reckon....
    To have enough, you have to have, or be able to get, more money than you need.
    Working hard is not the best way to grow rich.
    Working for a wage with no other means of making money, is not going to get you enough if you're not earning more than you need.
    You don't need money to make money. If you are reading this, you have access to the internet, and time. This is all you need to start making money. I found out long ago that working all week sure cuts into your money making time.
    If you already have some money, you can use it to make even more money.
    It's not hard to do, I don't work hard, I hardly work at all.
    Someone suggested "if you've done it post here how you did it and share" or something like that,
    my reply to that is Ppffttt!
    Why should I? I'm just an uneducated high school dropout, and I can come up with heaps of ways to make easy legal cash money, why should I share this with those that are too lazy too think for themselves.
    woried about inflation? Then get off your arse and figure out a way to inflate your income.

15. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Maybe he doesn't know too many people?

16. DanDee

Or like me, knows far too many immoral people. :eek:

17. renovator

Hahahaha comeon just one way theres thousands & most havent got the intestinal fortitude to put their money where their mouth is anyway .

So all is safe :p:

Well thats it for your credibility apparently when i said make more money is when the thread descended into oblivion ,, :lol:

18. Guest

Guest Guest

So you're saying that leverage debt speculative asset investment all comes down to a question of 'intestinal fortitude'?

Interesting.

I'd have thought it would take a lot more courage to not just follow the rest of the herd into rigged markets to make a living, but what would I know?

You're the one laughing.

19. DanDee

There are plenty of other ways to make money, and most do take a little "intestinal fortitude" ( that's "guts" right?). I know this because I've made plenty and I don't even know what "leverage debt speculative asset investment" means. :lol:

20. renovator

To do nothing doesnt take courage . It takes .............nothing . :( & in return you will get ......nothing