I got a job!

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by TheEnd, Dec 17, 2014.

1. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

Good call. Don't threaten the local golden boy's honorific. More important to get on their good side than management. They are who management get their intel from.

2. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

All the workshop people are great and afaik there is'nt any union......Looking forward to going back tmrw and learning as much as possible thru the week.

If i play my cards right this job could really be a winner especially with overtime as a standard part of the working week plus some saturdays!

3. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Great to hear! If you're with good people you can get along with then this job could be awesome.

4. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

I have to ass kiss more to the people below than above me to ensure they don't toss me out :lol: Donuts and coffee a few times a month ensures they will keep me around.

5. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

There will be no ass kissing.....Just working as well as I can and working by their rules.

Thers alot of paper work regarding safety in this job so I have to get use to doing alot of paper work and making sure jobs are 100% safe for the customers to use.

As I said they're sending me off to get a few tickets which will help me be a safer worker.

6. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Left early today got a bit of anxiety later in the day cos foreman left early and left me om my own.

Did'nt want to be standing around with nothing to do.

Should be better tmrw with foreman around.

7. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My dog gets anxious when I leave the house so I bought him a pet wiener dog to keep him company

8. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Wish I had a pet Wiener C.L lol! :D

Anxiety sucks!

9. col0016

col0016 Active Member

Make sure you don't give yourself anxiety attacks thinking about the fact that you get anxiety.

Clear your mind and do work. You don't want to get into a habit of using it as an excuse to leave early.

10. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Ye I hear you Col.

Wishing the hours wer'nt so long thru the week but thats just how it is. Just gotta deal with it.

11. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Only in the private sector. In Gov it tends to be the ass kissers who always win out. The asses seem to always rise to the top.

12. Stacked

Stacked Member Silver Stacker

The End

Congratulations in getting a new job and please appreciate that ALL of us experience in a new job, and especially as you have been out of work for a while.

Please consider the following -

1. It's tough out there and they read and liked your resume
    2. They called you for an interview and you passed their interview process
    3. You stated that you had psychiatric testing but I am assuming this was instead psychometric testing. Hard to BS this and you passed their testing.
    4. You passed the medical
    5. They employed you as a fulltime employee which is no.

So when in doubt please give yourself some credit for this.

The first few weeks will be information overload, so when you experience anxiety during your training perhaps use a note book and jot down bullet points, so that you can refer back to these later. Alternatively (and you must always ask permission first) hit record on your phone and use this as a reference later. Another member mentioned Rescue Remedy. I haven't used this but know people that swear that this helps. You can buy this at a chemist and it's a mixture of herbs that you apply drops to your tongue or I believe there are lozenges and these provide relaxation, clarity and focus. Perhaps massage, hypnotherapy, essential oils or other alternative options may help you. Or when I used to do public speaking (which caused me great anxiety) they used to say to imagine your audience nude...........this never worked for me as there was always a hottie in the front row and this would have been way too distracting :D

Good luck and don't give up as whilst you may not currently believe in yourself and your abilities, your new employers obviously did :)

13. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

Hang in there. Anxiety is real and medication is the last resort. A new job will have you on edge for a few weeks. Give yourself permission to feel that then acknowledge its because of the new situation, not because your are faulty or abnormal.

You will find that after a few weeks of full time work your self-esteem and the redirection of your thoughts to the constructive day to day task of a job will leave little room for anxiety to cloud your thoughts.

Don't look for outs due to fear of failure, like the long hours or the back pain. Accept them as being a chance to concentrate on something other than the anxious thoughts.

It is survivable and you can thrive and be extremely successful even with this condition, which will eventually become the accessional bout of back ground noise that is easy to recognised and put in its place.

14. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

When you get OT do they pay you a special over time rate? When I work OT (anything over 40 hours per week) I get paid 1.5 times normal pay. If I work a holiday I get paid 2.5! I'm a little sad because we get OT rate all winter break between Xmas eve through New Years day and I am only working one day New Years Day (2.5 at least). I didn't put in my request to work those days soon enough. Oh well I get a small paid vacation which is nice :) Still I like the extra cash... Oh the PMs I could have bought!

15. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

No anxiety today and worked until 6pm......Starting at 7am tmrw so we can all finish early for xmas.

Jobs i'm doing at the moment are pretty repetative but they're easy to do and i'm getting paid for it so I just gotta hang in there.

16. col0016

col0016 Active Member

Great change of attitude mate, hang in there.

17. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Had to leave early today just could'nt get motivated and I was sitting around waiting for foreman to do stocktake.

I told boss my back was sore and I had to go to chiropractor which I am going to do today to get my xrays back.

Going to give it another go on monday after xmas.

18. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

Dude, really ??

There are plenty of things you could of been doing that would have shown initiative, especially since you are new in the job.

Procedures to read, Systems to learn, hell .. pick up that broom and look busy.

Hell, back when I started my last job I had to go chill out in the car most lunchtimes to calm my nerves/relax, but there is no way I would have finished work early, especially in the first month.

Stop looking for excuses to leave and start looking for opportunities to stay.

19. col0016

col0016 Active Member

Wtf are you doing? You know how hard it is to get a job, well it's a lot easier to lose one.
    Next time you think about sitting around ask your foreman what he'd like you to do, or just clean up an area or grab a broom.

Next time you think about leaving early think about having to go back to job seeking.

20. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Only 30 more years of bludging and then you can retire.