carbon tax bull

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by radiobirdman, Jun 30, 2012.

1. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The compensation package was essentially calculated based on the floor price. Once the floor price was removed (c.f. last weeks announcements) the value shot up. Saying that, I have no doubt that International Power etc were alreading valuing themselves on a risk weighted basis - i.e. price in the event of a potential change in Government and/or Government policy.

2. bordsilver

More tax the rich but f**k it up beyond all recognition due to incompetence (and taking the advice of the Greens) such that you end up screwing over the taxpayers (who are mostly middle class) to pay for your f**kups.

3. radiobirdman

radiobirdman Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Your right I f*cked it up ,tax everybody and give to overseas corporations +the UNs got to get there share
    and the temp might drop .
    .0005 of a degree in a hundred years if we do this right

4. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

The worst part about this whole thing is, under the governments own admission, IF they manage to meet their target, by 2010 Australia's carbon emissions will be higher than today, however under emissions trading the idea is Australian consumers will end up paying other countries to reduce their emissions on Australia's behalf.

How friggin dumb is that.

5. radiobirdman

radiobirdman Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think its called a scam or a con or something like that

6. bordsilver

Ha ha, suckers. Now they can get a taste of what everyone else has been complaining about :lol:

7. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

Here's the graphic from that AFR article ...
    [​IMG]

And the most telling section of the article imo was:

And the Sydney Morning Herald has this to say about the financial incentives the carbon tax has provided for the power generators ...

It's sounding more and more like the Feds are broke! Makes you wonder just how close we are to a financial disaster doesn't it.

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot about this quizzical statement from the Government:

Falling demand for power? :lol: must be all the aluminium and manufacturing plants moving off-shore. What an absolute farce.

8. bordsilver

Ignoring the debate about the carbon dioxide implications it's nearly impossible to deny what a fantastic resource the Victorians have in the LaTrobe Valley. I know it's not comparing apples with apples for lots of reasons but compare a standard good black coal seam with what fuels our brown coal generators.

Pic 1: Kogan Creek coal mine (a decent black coal resource that fuels the Kogan Creek power station). Truck and shovel job.

[​IMG]

Pic 2: LaTrobe Valley brown coal (A frickin' huge seam close to the surface - can you see the people at the foot?):

[​IMG]

9. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^^^ Wow. I used to work in a coal mine where the seam was about 8 ft thick at best.