carbon tax bull

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by radiobirdman, Jun 30, 2012.

1. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm going to go out on a limb here and actually agree with Big A.D. As much as I want the carbon tax repealed - for lots of reasons besides the debate whether climate change is real and whether or not one small voice can make a difference - the policy that the coalition has been publicly touting (even if - I would hazard - many MPs do not actually support it privately) is not really good policy either. Yes, it may have some pleasing aspects but it doesn't make it a good policy.

However, as nonrecourse and others have said, the revenues to pay for its bad alternative will no doubt be able to be raised from the benefits of their good policies. In contrast, the revenues to pay for the ALPs bad climate policies are definitely not available as they have waaay too many bad policies putting them waaay into debt.

Personally, I would prefer if they just stuck to their good policies and pissed off all their bad policies (including their bad alternative climate change mitigation policies).

2. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You mean the massive global economic boom that occurred before the GFC came along and everyone realised it was all a huge bubble created by debt?

Ah, those were the days, eh?

3. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

And of course this year Labor has wiped out the Australian clothing, textile and footwear industries and basically made most large stores begin removing any garments from their racks with "Made in Australia" in the label as it is too risky to sell Australian made clothing and footwear here. Now that it is illegal to be self employed in the clothing industry in Australia, Fiji and New Zealand are loving the Labor party, their textile, footwear and clothing factories are ramping up as Australian companies cease operations here and move them offshore, and their wholesalers are taking revenue from the Australian companies that no longer have anyone to sell to. Well done destroying an industry once again Labor. Even the Sydney Opera House in asking "What do we do during Opera season now that it is illegal to hire contract costume makers"?

Source: Fashionsource.com.au

4. Shaddam IV

No, I am not confusing the GFC with bad economic and IR policy.

5. Big A.D.

6. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

Ah the Free of Work Act

7. Shaddam IV

8. Big A.D.

Loads of factors take their toll on local manufacturing. The Fair Work Act contains a lot of pretty dumb sections and obviously that doesn't help matters, but the facts are that the average wage in Fiji is less than a tenth of the average wage in Australia and the strong Australian dollar buys more in Fiji than it used to.

To be honest, I'd be very surprised if it isn't possible to structure an arrangement to avoid the problems with the Fair Work Act, assuming both parties are happy with it, otherwise businesses are going to do what businesses do and find alternative suppliers.

9. Shaddam IV

Really Australian businesses should not have to "avoid" legislation designed to shut down businesses in favour of unions. This is why having the ultimate "trade union" ie: the Labor Party in government always ends in higher unemployment and reduced standards of living. Unions have no ability to run a government or an economy. It's not what they were created for.

10. GoldenEgg

GoldenEgg Member

Worst government in Australian history , every thing they do is a disaster.

11. GoldenEgg

GoldenEgg Member

Labors mantra : If it moves tax it , if it stops moving subsidise it.

12. Shaddam IV

If we get caught, shred it.

13. Big A.D.

Look, I agree with you to an extent: the idea behind the Fair Work Act was to stop businesses technically outsourcing activities and avoiding responsibility for people who are - for all intents and purposes - employees of the business. Businesses abuse that relationship. They're hard-wired to make as much money as possible and often the only thing that stops that happening is that the small businesses are run by real people, a lot of whom have enough of a conscience not to shaft their workers.

Then again, some do.

And the larger the business is, the less it tends cares about people.

That's why businesses try avoid the laws about having employees and use contractors instead.

I do think the Fair Work Act goes too far in places, even if it was well intentioned. To be fair, the textile industry is notorious for poor treatment of workers.

14. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No one ever forced people to work for evil, nasty, parasitic corporations but FWA made it much harder for corporations to employ people. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

15. Shaddam IV

I don't see Labor outlawing sole traders in the building industry where the real abuse of workers occurs. I wonder why? If you were an outworker who was earning $30.00 per hour working from home and had invested $10000.00 in equipment and the government suddenly said "for your own protection, you are no longer allowed to run your business, you can only work in your chosen field in this country as an employee" how would you feel? If it were me I would go straight to the Human Rights and Equal Opportunities Commission. There are no sweatshops in Australia. The whole reason for this legislation is to force people into workplaces where they have no choice but to join a union.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

The pro carbon tax herd are resorting to posting images like seen below. Saying we should feel bad and have to pay for the polar caps shrinking, parading animals and making out they're stranded and can't swim when they can paddle non stop for 100 miles and have been recorded swimming 354km. Pure propaganda mind control....FEEL BAD, PAY US!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Shaddam IV

I still can't figure out how, in the face of global temperature records showing no increase in temperatures for 16 years people can still go on about "global warming catastrophe". Especially as they keep talking about "science". But then people keep paying a part of their wage to the HSU each month despite being shown that the Union is ripping them off blind. Human nature is very strange.

18. Tacrezod

Tacrezod Member

The amendment we're discussing regarding textile workers can't be dismissed as just some anomaly, overlooked during the drafting of the bill. I was listening to the session on the radio when Labor/Greens rammed the amendment through.

The opposition got up and made much the same arguments against it as have been made here, but still, it predictably passed. (Guillotined? I'm not sure?)

I remember listening in amazement as the hard left (Doug Cameron with his pseudo Scottish accent et al) made shocking arguments to justify forcing people out of their own buisnesses.

19. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...cut-power-prices/story-fn59niix-1226444863514

Anyone interested in an abolish state government senate run at the next election?

20. Shaddam IV

I listened to the parliamentary debate too, the Libs put forward compelling reasons for the damage that the legislation would cause, and they read many submissions from outworkers, design students and graduates who would not be able to sew a garment and sell it legally, and industry groups. The Senate hearing on the legislation did not allow a single industry body to make a submission, only unions were allowed to speak. The entire industry was gagged. How's that for corruption?