1ST COIN OF NEW SERIES ( "Lunar Skulls" )

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Luker, Nov 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bullion Baron

Bullion Baron Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Aureus, I don't think anyone is suggesting or has suggested to stack these and hold no lower premium silver.

I've bought Perth Mint Lunar, Kookaburras & Koala silver coins at bullion prices. I have plenty of other lower premiums silver coins and bars too.

I don't have any pandas, but can see the appeal and think those looking at bullion coins (e.g. spot + $10) would do fine to add some to their stack.

I understand your apprehension over this coins hype, but I don't think "The Chinese as a market, you know, the ones who buy real numismatics" need to be interested in this coin for it to perform well from the original release prices. I would say the west (as a market) has had a lot more to do with driving the price of modern numismatic coins in recent history than the Chinese, so when you say the Chinese wouldn't like a Lunar Skull coin, frankly I don't care because it's obvious there are plenty of people who will and the mintage is only 500 coins.

I think this coin has enough unique factors including the low mintage, great design, unique take on the lunar series & serial number etched on the coin, to perform well from release price. I do think that the quality of the final product will play a part in future prices.

As for those prepared to pay $200-300+ for the coin, they are taking a bigger risk of course, but only if they intend on selling it for a premium in the future. For those collecting a single coin for it's appeal & to collect then the price paid doesn't matter so much if it's from disposable income.

2. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

agreed, only used the Chinese as an example of why it is wise to invest in Pandas, they'll never lose their appeal as a semi numismatic.

exactly, if you're buying to collect then I have no argument to present. My comments are really aimed at those looking to make money. solely to caution that it may not pan out as they expect, my comments are not about bashing a coin I do not like.

3. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I like these sorts of coins because, besides looking great if it works out (not guaranteed), I appreciate the difficulty of translating a new design into a physical coin. I have no issue in supporting the people who try to do something difficult and take a risk with these. I'm hoping that as advanced manufacturing methods become more accessible, we'll see some really creative and exciting coins. The more people involved, the better if it grows the market and stokes broader interest.

4. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

You know the one great thing about it is that you get to put up your money to play. So in essence no one can stop your from making the play you feel is correct. I personally feel Aureus makes a lot of good points and that in the end the value of this coin will not hold the test of time. I also wish I had bought a dozen of them to flip while I had the chance. I bet it will look nice though as the German mints have a history of pretty high quality in my experience.

5. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm a buyer of 4, sold one, and will most likely sell another, when they come out...hopefully they look nice so I can make 500.00 :D

6. db23

db23 Member

Seems that the milking has begun. not sure if this has been posted, but now I see FCC pre-selling 2oz and 10oz versions.

7. barsenault

Whew, glad I sold one. I'm selling another one right now. Good luck everyone. I'll keep 2 for kicks. But I'm not a buyer any longer. I'll leave them all for the others high on this series. :)) Good luck.

Oh, and if anyone wants to buy it, I have it on for 295.00. I'm not greedy, this is a deal of a life-time. :eek: Just read this thread

8. jackburton

jackburton New Member

those damn greedy bastards... penny-wise pound foolish... buh bye series

9. S. Ohno

S. Ohno Member

All I see is a proof + bu set and a 10 coin bu set

2 oz = proof x 1 + bu x 1 = total 2 oz
    10 oz = bu x 10 coins = total 10 oz

10. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

11. SpacePete

What's going on here? I don't see these new coins.

12. Luker

Luker Member

I would be extremely surprised if this was the case. Through my correspondance with son-montuno he came across as being very astute and in tune with what coin enthusiasts are looking for, and is well aware as to how others have made mistakes and gotten greedy. Furthermore he was always the professional and very cordial.

Cheers,
    Luker

13. barsenault

never mind. their posting is deceptive. is shows 2 oz, but it means 1 oz proof, and 1 oz BU, and only 232.00. Not bad. and then the 10 oz is 1 X 10 BU...I'm still selling one for 295.00. And then my two, plus some, will be free and easy. :D

14. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

If they do a good job minting it, at the very least I'd probably spring for a 5-oz'er.

Shame on you for getting my hopes up for a minute, there.. :mad: :lol:

15. barsenault

Oh, I'm sure they're coming. Greed always gets the best of folks.

I just sold another one. Probably at a steep discount, but I don't care. I sold 2 of my 4 for 450.00. I now owe 2 plus some free and clear...a little peace of mind for myself. :)) I hope for all invested, these go up to 500.00. I have ZERO regret. However, in complete transparency, I'm more in the campe of Aureus and Mtforar. BUT, I do hope we are wrong. :))

16. Gatito Bandito

Meh, I'm holding out for the pre-slabbed 1/10th-oz gold proof with colorized Kook privy.. ;)

17. Bullion Baron

Bullion Baron Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

18. SpacePete

^^^ Much better than I expected!!! Nice!

19. SpacePete

This is almost coingasm level (2014 proof Britannia currently holds that honour.)

20. Gatito Bandito

Don't like the small spots, but otherwise most excellent!

Eager to see the BU's..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.