1ST COIN OF NEW SERIES ( "Lunar Skulls" )

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Luker, Nov 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luker

Luker Member

PROOF - 2015 GHANA "Lunar Skulls" YEAR OF THE GOAT 1oz Silver High Relief Coin

I just picked up two of the proof version. I love that fact that each individual coin
    is engraved with a unique serial number (to match the COA). I have not come across that feature before. And the fact that it is a high relief coin and low mintage...hits all of my buying criteria...well worth the extra $20 to buy the proof version($89 US) in my mind , with a mintage of 500 as compared to 2000 for the BU version...I am sure that this series is going to be successful- as with both lunar and skull features I don't think they can go wrong. I just hope that they don't get too greedy if initially successful, and increase the mintage numbers of subsequent years, but even if that does happen then likely the first of the series will be the one to have . That said , I imagine that the tattoo artist who designed the coin could come up with a pretty wicked monkey skull design for 2016!

Cheers,
    Luker

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Hmmm, I think I like it. My dreams came true. Finally a coin where animal doesn't look like is ultra happy or smth. Not that I'm against happy animals (very opposite actually), but I have a little bit enough of "happy stuff".

Looks a little bit "Satanic".

Like the reverse too.

Now I only need to wait for tiger and dragon. ;)

EDIt:

And engraving the coin is very nice move as well. Dunno why more companies doesn't do this. Especially for some "high premium" coins like e.g. Tiffany Art you could get serial numbered coin. At least COA. Some Norfeds have numbers, but I believe most were added later.

3. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Canada has a similar one from the 1980's.

Anyway, my only complaint with the Ghana is the artist's signature like that.

Nit-picking, I know. :D

I like my satin finishes. Contemplating the BU..

4. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

yeah, satin finish can hide the potential spots better. I don't know much about the Ghana mint. Hopefully they put out good quality. :))

5. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

Where can you get these??

6. Bosse68

Bosse68 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

7. Luker

Luker Member

8. Gatito Bandito

When you can't decide, get one of each!

Makes a nice set. Wish I could do more.

I've done business with son-montuno before. Has some good stuff.

And my credit card hates you, Luker. :mad:

Thanks for the heads-up, though!

9. barsenault

Yeah, no joke right? Luckily I had a PayPal credit that came in last night, so I was able to buy 3 of the proof versions. Sweet. I always go with lowest mintage...and for 20.00 bucks more...no brainer. Better not get spots though...I'm a coming after you luker. LOL. I think once the general public catches wind or they do a better job marketing it, this will be a huge hit. (if the PM had it, it would have been sold out in 1 min - they are a marketing machine).

10. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

Yea I don't think I could pay that much for a none proof coin... Even with that low of a mintage... Nice looking coins though! I with you bandito on the signature part...

11. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

I think I might click buy on the proof version... Can I get a +1 on that or am i the only one on the fence...

12. barsenault

Nice coin. Actually, there is only 1 issue per year. Puts my mind at peace. NIUE has a way of making 50 different rendentions of the same coin (i.e. Think Unicorn). Total turn off. Proof is a no brainer. 500 mintage. Those will go in a flash?

13. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

I think that is a really neat coin for a nice price. Not my style though, I cant wait to see the actual coin, its hard for me to visualize it from that kind of picture

14. Nabullion Dynamite

Id with you on that just for the hell of it if I wasn't already waiting for a Moldavite impact coin and the Secrets of Pena Palace coin I just ordered. Go for it, will be a nice piece!

15. barsenault

yeah, that's one where on the first in the series you rolled the dice. Could suck in person, and be a dud. But that's the gamble one takes at these prices. If it is a hit, then the prices will sky rocket in the series, and be sold out. And the first is usually the one that goes to the moon...not always...if a series is to go to the moon (i.e. 5 oz NIUE Lunar Series - horse sells for 3 - 5 times the original cost). Anyway, I took the dive and the gamble. Let's see how it turns out. LOL.

16. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

Alright I'm in!! Hopefully I will get it by Christmas!!

17. Gatito Bandito

With cash-back CC, along with eBay Bucks, it shaves a few % off the price, anyway. Can add up after a while.

Besides, I've paid a lot more per ounce before, LOL. And I still consider myself small-fry. There are some people out there who drop some BIG $$ on certain Ag coins. If I had it, I'd probably join them. Lots of amazing stuff out there.

These will catch on. It's already spreading. At 2,500 total, they'll go pretty quickly.

I do like proofs, especially with their lower mintages. But I'm also a big fan of satin, which can produce some really cool toning effects years & decades later.

Like I said, makes a nice set. If I could swing it, I'd do a 2nd set for a possible flip. But I've been hitting it pretty hard lately, and I still have a long shopping list!

EDIT: BTW, when you shrink down the photos, the artist sig is pretty much a non-issue. At least for me.

18. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

I wonder what number I will get? I should have left a memo with the seller for # 1 lol

19. barsenault

LOL. The seller is the creator, originator, and architect of the coin. I'm not sure how all that works. He's in the U.S. He joined forces with a renown tatoo artitst, and some how has made it legal tender in Ghana (5 Cedis = 1.57 U.S dollars). Sounds like he's on to something. Creating unique, legal tender coins, with extremely low mintage. Couldn't agree more.

20. Nabullion Dynamite

Dang that would have been a good idea. Not ask for number 1 but ask for like 111, 123, or any other kind of unique COA...BTW I reconsidered and bought one. Now we wait

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.