Snake Love Down

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by hiho, Sep 9, 2012.

1. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

Yes - but they wont wholesale them to the dealers. We are stuck with our original allocation restriction.

malachii

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1

Added to that there are some obvious stand out coins in the sets and some duds (or at least, underperformers, or at the very least, not as high as the tigers and dragons).

People pay more for Dragons and tigers but less for whatever the other animals are, I can name about 5 of them.

The set price seems to being carried by the good coins which are dragging up the average price.

Would 12 series 1 Dragons net more of a profit than 1 of each coin from the first series in a set?

You can value add to the first series by selling them in a collector case etc. but it takes you either 12 years to put the set together (for the modern sets) or you have to search for old coins and pay a premium to get them.

With a roll of dragons you can get the whole transaction done in under two hours five minutes (I am counting the two hours of computer crashes as part of the ordering time) and not bother again until the tigers come out.

If you enjoy putting together sets I guess the thrill of the chase tracking down the hard to find coins would value add to the whole process.

Eventualy you get sick of buying all the rubbish just to keep your collection current. And as more rubbish is churned out the value of the collection drops.

I know plenty of $1 coin collectors who are waiting for the Queen to step down so they can stop buying all the rubbish churned out by the RAM. They are sick of the low quality offerings they have to buy at inflated prices just so they can say they have a full set. Once the Queen leaves they can say they have a full set of QE2 dollar coins and draw the line under that.

I have the reminted kooks and there is a temptation to collect the set but I know from past experience that I will have to pay over the odds to get the missing coins, thus dragging up the total cost of the set and cutting through the profits. I also know that trying to sell that many coins as a set will be problematic as most people will be looking for one or two coins to complete their own sets and won't want the rest.

3. Eruaran

Eruaran Member

I quite like the snakes but I'm more inclined to buy whatever is cheaper.

4. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Sorry ... disagree.. compared to the Dragon or S1 Snake its rubbish.. total rubbish.. the scales are pathetic.. i think its perfect next to the 2012 Kook.. both of which look like Japanese Anime Characters... totally go againest the others in the set..

RE: getting whole sets.. ok thats the trap that keeps chumps in the paradise.. if your too vested in collecting a set you are a PRICE taker.. i choose to buy based on price and design and other variables taken as a complete information basis of which to form my opinion.. blindly buying cos i want SETS is always a losing mindset IMO as outlined by the great highly intelligent SS above Matthew 26:14 (who you should all listen too!)

If i get snakes ALL the variables will need to line up.. i invest to increase my capital worth.. not to buy into PM lunar-mania.

1for1

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Ok, thanks malachii, I didn't know that.

Is your allocation under a thousand coins?

Looks as if it's going to be a scramble to get a few more before they sell out.

I'm a buyer. ;)

H

6. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No problems; good to see you have a financial plan and just don't buy for buying sake.

As Ron Currie mentioned in his 2013 kookaburra post - "Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder and we can't please everyone all the time"

http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-30549-the-perth-mint-2013-kookaburra-sucks-page-2.html

To me the snake is a marvellous coin and a great addition to the Lunar II series. I've often wondered how a designer could make a snake coin interesting, personally I think it's a challenge which Perth have triumphed.
    Sure it may not be as well liked as the dragon but it's a very nice triple struck reverse proof.

Sometimes I think many of us forget that these bullion coins are triple struck and encapsulated; they also have a small mintage and as we have seen with the rest of the series 2, Mouse, Ox, Tiger, Rabbit and Dragon, they all hold their value.

Personally, my favourite coin is the series 2 - 2oz Silver lunar rabbit.

Anyway, best to you and I hope you do well with your other coin purchases.

H

PS:

Sales Update: On Course For Sell Out At The Mint

Just days after their official release, we've processed orders for hundreds of thousands of these popular coins.

In the process of being shipped worldwide are:

260,000 1oz Silver Snakes out of a maximum mintage of 300,000 coins
    22,000 1oz Gold Snakes out of a maximum mintage of 30,000 coins

At this rate we're expecting to have sold out at the Mint within a short space of time

http://www.perthmintbullion.com/au/Blog/Blog.aspx

7. unfunkable

unfunkable Active Member

How can that be! (That they are nearly sold out) . That's impossible! I was boycotting them due to last years dragon saga!

8. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

SOLD OUT = Major International Retailers have taken possession.. they will then drip feed them out at super normal profits so as not to flood the market..

This is different to a retail sell out by the fact they are widely available anywhere you want.. just not at RRP pricing.

Its pretty much not worth saying sold out as primary speculation means they dont EVER sell out as they are kept as new for YEARS.

RE: design - i love snakes. im a reptile kind of guy. Extremly suprised at the selection .. what is it.. A green tree snake.. why not an anaconda, python, side-winder, boa constrictor- can only assume PM has got into MANGA recently so all 2013 have gone japanese.. (i like Anime) just dont think it matches the LUNAR series to date

IE: you like rabbit.. me too.. why not stay in the same design vien. why change to mega-eye dragonball Z style

1for1