Snake Love Down

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by hiho, Sep 9, 2012.

1. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

Noticed there is no fervour for the snakes, is it because were all Dragoned out or simply the snake isnt as popular as the Dragon? Will be interesting next year when the horse is released

2. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I'm not a fan of the snake so my love isn't there. I'm not rushing in for these coins.

3. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Prices on ebay are way down compared to the Dragon ,
    I saw a 1oz proof sell for under $130 last night
    3 coin sets around $600 aren't selling

4. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

I could understand why the people here might be less interested, after the PM's exercise in minting everything it possibly could with a dragon or dragon privy on it.

But at to ebay being quieter - perhaps people are beginning to feel the pinch of the GFC (the one they arent talking about).

5. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

not much interest on the current group buy although the group buy reflects the PM price (at threshold 500+) :|

I wonder whether the demand is wane or people already dived in during pre-order.

6. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

I personally think this is cause and effect from the Way PM has screwed long time customers over the last 12 months.. you reap what you sow.

I doubt its macro-economic or even macro-silver industry.. a little could be explained by the snake not being popular but im sure i would of got 100 if they werent try to snake us with the prices, plus knowing the privy snake will come out for $5 less with a smaller mintage.

So much more compeitiion now i can easily get the Canaidan wildlife series, somalia elephant, noahs ark, takus etc..

1for1

7. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Jaded I think is the word.

Still expecting the Horse to be overallocated, and it could simply be the pattern from now until the end of the series.

8. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1
    the privy version may have caused all this. If you are making personal collection, perhaps 10 coins would be sufficient, does not need to be rolls after rolls plus as stated above, privy is a cheaper version of standard one :).

I will prefer to buy lunar privy though, rather than canadian...well it is personal choice anyway.

9. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Tigers and Dragons are cool! I think most people don't really care about the Chiniese Lunar Calendar, they just like dragons and tigers and would buy any coin with those on it. Same with Wolves, I would buy a coin with a wolf on it but I could probably live without a Moose.

I put in a few pre orders for the snakes and I bought my half roll at the mint. I have a 3 coin set on order at the local Post Office but if they left it too late to get it in then I will not worry too much about it.

I am not collecting a lunar series so I have no need to collect any more of the bullion sizes.

It is good to have a year or two off from collecting Numis and get back to stacking low premium.

10. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I think i'll stick with bars, esp seeing spot is rising

11. silver addict

silver addict Active Member Silver Stacker

not much love at all for the snakes at the moment,

i will be getting a few just to keep my few set going 1/2 oz to 5 oz , but that is it ,

with ebay , i feel once sellers get them in their hands they will do well,

but not like the dragons.

12. unfunkable

unfunkable Active Member

a lot of people still reeling from capitulation phase from last year easter...

13. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I incline to pigs mice and rabbits

This is a dream come true to me. I live for these moments of malice and revenge. I wouldn't trust any new issue from Perth Mint after the reissues of old kooks, privy sneakiness, coloured coins, blah blah - who cares what I think and rightly so, I'll just savour this and do my buying on the secondary market for old gold lunars and old kooks and old RAM floral $100 emblems and RAM $200s
    Why buy a stupid new snake when you don't know what they'll do afterwards, and you have the option of mintage capped old kooks of superior design?

14. Lightsview

Lightsview Member

Someone is already selling the 3 coin set for $525 in the buy/sell section :lol: Interesting to see how low prices will fall to.

15. Jislizard

You are in luck!

I would exprapolate that you will be able to get around 300,000 of each for those animals in the 1oz size!

16. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

$44 or thereabouts at dealers. Thanks but no thanks. I'll buy my snakes as Privy's I think at spot +$2 come march I think if silver is still sub $40.

See Perth Mint, you burned your loyal customers and now they will pay you back in spades.

17. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

with this demand will there be a privvy snake??

18. Jislizard

Good question, probably no need for privies if you can get the real thing

19. bloomst

bloomst Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I just come back from the city. One of the coin dealer looked like just sold half of his lunar coins in the last 2 weeks. No full roll of dragon/rat...no tiger left. I guess Tiger and Dragon is just a different breed from the rest of the series.

20. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Member

Right now Gainesville is showing out of stock of the 1oz. That could be a game, when Apmex first release they only released 500 at a time, so we'll find out if they're actually out in their morning.

Apmex is showing 400 in stock, but they've only been releasing them 500 at a time, unless they changed that in the last few days. I really dislike their game.

I think 2 things are coming into play here: 1) dragon burnout is carrying over to the snake and 2) the snake is not the dragon and nobody killed it with series 1 snake like they did with series 1 dragon. I don't think you're going to see the same sense of urgency with the snake as you did with the dragon.

It also appears that the sellers in the US got the go ahead on selling what ever they could, or however many they could of the odd sizes, as both G-Ville and Apmex still offer both in big quantities, and I'm guessing they're both just listing so many, or X amount, for sale and when it runs down to Y amount, they up the quantity available. Just conjecture on my part, but there are 1800 1/2oz available on Apmex right now, if it gets to 200, I'd be willing to wager there will be 2000 available in a short amount of time.