Snake Love Down

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by hiho, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Maybe I shall withdraw my group buy thread on 1oz snake hey and pursue from the secondary market at later date?

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you think spot will drop or stay the same.

If you think spot will rise get them now at the bulk discount.

It is all a bit of a gamble...

3. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Not sure what others paid for Privy Dragons but I paid spot +$3.25 with postage on top of that. Silver was I think about $28 at the time so a little over 10% spot which is good for 1oz sized silver and in a coin form is a bonus also.

4. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

Interesting. Seems to be a lot of love for the privy lunars here!

Disclaimer: I have 1 x roll of Dragon privy, bought as a function of spot, seemed a better (or at least, not worse) buy than Kooks.

5. Jislizard

I bought a roll of dragons and half a roll of privies. I have no problem with them, seemed to be better value and they are different in the eyes of a collector, even though it was cheating!

6. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Member

I understand that you guys are a bit closer to the action than I am. You also have a little more exposure to who has what and all I can really look at is the big 2 in the states, Apmex and Gainesville, but there was a real nice opportunity with the dragon last year, and that same opportunity might be available again this year.

I just checked the availability at both sites and here is what they both have listed as available.

1oz Gainesville is out and have been for 2 days for sure, Apmex has 326
    1/2oz Gainesville has a 200pc max order, Apmex has about 1800
    2oz Gainesville has a 30pc max and Apmex has 352
    5oz Gainesville has 100pc max and Apmex has 18

I'm not trying to tell you that is their entire stock available, but it is the max Gainesville will sell to any one customer, and at this point might be all they have left. Not 100% certain, but would doubt they are holding back at this point, why would they or what's the point of doing so? They've been out of the 1oz for at least 2 days. Apmex has product managers to control the flow of inventory, so it's even more of a dice roll to believe that is all they have left. However, I go back to what is the point of holding back now if it's been available for 3 weeks and they haven't sold out.

So the real question is this. There was a very good opportunity to sell the off-size dragons last year from Nov to Jan until Perth put the off-size dragons back in production, so will that opportunity be there again for the snake? Will people be scrambling to get these because they fear they won't have the opportunity later in the year? I'm sure you all know better, or believe that you'll see as many of these come next spring as we did the dragon. Obviously you can't be 100% certain, but anything can happen.

The other thing that I continue to question is where is silver going, price wise? Are we just in a lull, or is it actually depressed right now and we'll see a run? Is there a 2nd opportunity here? Is it a bigger opportunity? Can you make this work out to your benefit?

I get it, I'm not the happiest camper with Perth Mint either, but in the end I collect these and look for opportunities to game my stack with stuff I can buy cheap that has the opportunity to give me much larger premium returns. I make mistakes, just like everyone else, but that won't stop me from trying. So???? Is there something we're missing here by looking backwards at the wrong things instead of the right things? IE, where were the gaps to fill, will those same gaps open up and can you fill them, or will other gaps open up we're not seeing??? Where is the opportunity, and can you catch them?

7. dex

dex Active Member Silver Stacker

the snakes will eventually slither back into popular lunar contention.

8. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

maybe when they start on the SIII :p

9. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Looks like a very nice coin to me! ;)

[​IMG]

10. spannermonkey

I wander how fugly the coloured / gilded version would look like :lol:
    They'll be round the corner , I saw the 4 coin set in a PO catalog today ,the local branch manager was asking what I wanted to order .
    I said nothing this time round :/

11. Lightsview

Lightsview Member

What's the pricing on the 4 coin set? I'm not sure either if I should get them to flip... low mintage of 1500, but the snake silver proof coins seems to be pretty dormant!

12. spannermonkey

$395 for the 4 coin set not a good flipper in my opinion

13. Golden

Golden Member

I don't know why there is so much hate toward Perth Mint.
    Yes, there were many variants of dragons, but I don't think that my 1oz Lunar 2 collection has suffered because of it. You can't replace your Lunar 2 Dragon with privy mark dragon and call it a set. Or a coloured one.

Can you make a privy mark Lunar 2 set? You can't.

As long as Lunar 2 1oz series 300.000 coins/year limit is respected I remain happy.

Paid too much for your Dragon? Why do you care? Did you buy them for their beauty or profit? If profit, then you made a bad business decision. Can't blame others for it, only your own greed.

I expect my order of 1.000 1oz snakes to come in any day now. I always buy around 1.000, sell 600 and that gives me the rest of them under spot. Didn't work so well with dragons, but I knew the price in advance and I don't blame others for it.

But blaming the mint for making coins if there is demand.. what would you do if you'd be in control of the mint? Make 300.000 coins and sit on your ass for the rest of the year ignoring the demand?

14. Jislizard

Great idea, lets dump the rest of the lunar fails and go straight to the Series III Dragons!

15. Nedsnotdead

Nedsnotdead Active Member Silver Stacker

I think you need some no more gaps. Wallmart i reckon

16. Matthew 26:14

Dont be too obsessed in creating Lunar "sets" and thus think you have to continue to buy the bullion 1oz coins.

Often the sum of the parts is worth more than the whole. That is, trying to offload completed Series 2 Lunar sets requires someone wanting to buy 12 x 1oz coins. Selling just 1 coin requires someone wanting to buy just 1oz of silver.

In a nutshell, its often more profitable to sell 12 coins to 12 different customers (and easier to find buyers) than to sell a 12 coin set to 1 buyer.

17. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Geez that's more snakes than many Australian distributors received :/ No wonder many thousands are being reimported back down under from Europe and USA to fill local demand - many people here couldn't buy more than 10.

18. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Member

Now Gainesville put more 1oz up for sale. :/

19. Matthew 26:14

I would expect Gainesville and APMEX to have something like 100,000 between them. They wont sell out anytime soon. The temporary absence of coins from their site is probably more to do with how many they actually had received from the mint at this moment in time. They probably dont want to be listing for sale coins that may not arrive for a few days or a week etc from the mint as it would cause a delay in their shipping to customers, looking like Gainesville are slow to post your purchases.

20. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Perth seem to have quite a few on their Bullion Web site GP.

4146 in stock.

No restriction either.

H