Snake Love Down

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by hiho, Sep 9, 2012.

1. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Member

I will agree that the Dragon is the exception, but the US dealers found out there was a limit to what people would pay. If you take a look at Apmex, you'll see they still have over 4500 1oz dragon ungraded and about 3000 ms70 dragons. They tried to push the envelope to the max they could, and now they sit on a pile of inventory. $70 for that coin is just too much, and they just can't seem to come to grips with that.

2. ninteno

ninteno Member

I do not know exactly, but i think the privy was already bought by a germnan bank.
    There is a issue list. Dont know exactly where to download. Is the privy also a lion
    you can be sure its from the german Bayern LB and they will be released.

3. Scope

Scope New Member

I agree with Bullion Baron. People are just expecting too much. You can't expect every year to be like the dragon. The snake is doing pretty well compared with other years and the proof coin still sold out within minutes of release. It's only been released a week or so and people already jumping to conclusions and calling it a failure?? Give it time lol

4. tozak

tozak Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yeah total flop, anyone wishing to off-load their Snakes at spot just PM me

5. Bazil

Bazil Member Silver Stacker

I'm gunna lose all my snake love if my big coin doesn't arrive soon :( HURRY UP!! :p

6. bloomst

bloomst Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

spot+$1 at me. Back at you tozak :D

7. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm wondering if this is a good sign to buy? Contrarian view?

I'm guessing the mouse wasn't so popular either, and my eyes stung at what they cost when I aquired them.

Thinking I might gather a few 2 & 5 oz's this year.

8. tozak

tozak Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What this? A pre-snake low-baller competition?

easy worth spot +$2

9. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

I'm next in line to get this "disappointment" ))) :lol:

10. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+2

In addition, I think we quickly learnt that Perth will provide a product for overseas clients.

I also think they really screwed over a few people with selling coloured bullion coins after they released collector coins!

A fine example was the Red coloured 2oz Dragon! The ANDA coin was a real hit then the 2oz coloured bullion coin flooded the market.
    Perth has also confused the market calling their coloured coins as bullion coins but then in the same breath on theor Blog they say that any coin that has undergone a process like colouring is a specimen coin!!! Now that's not confusing???? :rolleyes:

PLus there's been some mis-truths by Perth. Remember the articles that said a certain chinese buyer wanted to buy all the 1oz silver dragons? Perth said it was bull and it probably was but at that time someone did buy all the 1oz bullion coins only that they were coloured! :eek:

Plenty of people were disappointed after purchasing the nine coin set only to have Perth sell the 10 coin set; I could go on but imo, people are burnt out and there really is a trust issue.

If we have a look at the collector site and the 1/2oz proof snake, Perth says:

For the first time, and by collector demand, The Perth Mint is also introducing the new format of an individual 1/2oz silver coin.
    http://www.perthmint.com.au/catalog...013-year-of-the-snake-silver-proof-coins.aspx

Well, that's not correct because Perth released 4,000 x 1/2oz silver proof dragons to the Russians! :|

So, I think the market is very weary of Perth's integrity. :/

There's a lot of coins to be issued, :lol: not only lunars but a huge array of coins some of which have been approved but have not been minted; ie the 2oz silver 2013 Kookaburra!!!

2013 Silver Kookaburra Bullion Coins
    The design for the 2013 Silver Kookaburra (1kg, 10oz, 2oz :) and 1oz) bullion coins features a representation of two kookaburras perched on a tree branch, superimposed on flowers, and includes the inscriptions 'AUSTRALIAN KOOKABURRA', '2013' along with the weight of the coin and '999 SILVER'.

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2011L00874/Explanatory Statement/Text

H

GOLD YEAR OF THE SNAKE - PROOF

The design for the 2013 Australian Lunar Year of the Snake (1oz, 1/4oz and 1/10oz)

GOLD YEAR OF THE SNAKE - BULLION

The design for the 2013 Australian Lunar Year of the Snake (10kg, 1kg, 10oz, 2oz, 1oz, 1/2oz, 1/4oz, 1/10oz and 1/20oz) gold bullion coins

GOLD YEAR OF THE SNAKE - PROOF COLOURED

The design for the 2013 Australian Lunar Year of the Snake (1oz, 1/4oz, and 1/10oz) g

GOLD YEAR OF THE SNAKE - BULLION COLOURED

The design for the 2013 Australian Lunar Year of the Snake (1oz, 1/2oz, 1/4oz, 1/10oz and 1/20oz) gold bullion coloured coins

SILVER YEAR OF THE SNAKE - PROOF

The design for the 2013 Australian Lunar Year of the Snake (1kg, 2oz, 1oz and 1/2oz) silver proof coins

SILVER YEAR OF THE SNAKE - BULLION

The design for the 2013 Australian Lunar Year of the Snake (10kg, 1kg, 10oz, 5oz, 2oz, 1oz and 1/2oz) silver bullion coins

SILVER YEAR OF THE SNAKE - PROOF COLOURED

The design for the 2013 Australian Lunar Year of the Snake (1kg, 1oz and 1/2oz) silver proof coloured coins

SILVER YEAR OF THE SNAKE - BULLION COLOURED

The design for the 2013 Australian Lunar Year of the Snake (1kg, 10oz, 5oz, 2oz, 1oz and 1/2oz) silver bullion coloured coins

SILVER YEAR OF THE SNAKE - GILDED

The design for this 2013 Australian Lunar Year of the Snake (1oz) silver gilded coin

SILVER YEAR OF THE SNAKE - GEM EYE

The design for this 2013 Australian Lunar Year of the Snake (1kg) silver coloured coin

YEAR OF THE SNAKE - ALUMINIUM BRONZE

The design for this 2013 Australian Lunar Year of the Snake (30mm) aluminium bronze coin

2013 LUNAR SNAKE - PRIVY MARK ISSUE

The design for this 2013 Australian Lunar Year of the Snake coin

PS: I like the silver lunar snake design.

11. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

hang on there for a sec .....

"YEAR OF THE SNAKE - ALUMINIUM BRONZE

The design for this 2013 Australian Lunar Year of the Snake (30mm) aluminium bronze coin" ???

12. R1dh0

R1dh0 New Member

IMHO. lunar lover take wait & see position for this snake, learned from PM's Milking Dragon......... i hope is never happen again :rolleyes:

13. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

Which Series 1 releases have the highest value in the secondary market today?

1. Dragon
    2. Snake
    3. Horse

The Perth Mint have created a bit of a purple patch with these 3 years in a row in Series 1 consistently seeing higher values.

IMHO the Perth Mint will look to capitalise on the expectation of this repeating itself with Series 2. This is (and will be) in the form of many different releases in each of these years. Privies, coloureds, coloured proofs etc. Probably won't die down until Goat in 2015.

Based on my opinion only.

14. mike titanic

mike titanic New Member

jmho the dragon bombardment showed me that paying more than say $8 over spot for a snake coin would be a waste of my cash.After jumping on the bandwagon and paying about $80 for my first dragons,I picked up a few more for almost half of that.When the 1/2 ozs came out I held off until I paid about $20-$21 each.So I can wait if I have to for a better price,even if I have to wait for next year.In the meantime there are so many nice silver coins out there that I wont miss out on stacking.

15. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

After saying only the coloured bullion coins would be released in sets (of 9 and 10) and then minting individual 1oz coloured coins, the Perth Mint really burned a lot of long time supporters.

The appearance of the Privy bullion coin with a mintage 2/3 that of the 1oz bullion coins was the last straw for me.

The minting anything with a dragon on it really spread buyers thin to the point where supply was so diluted theres no value in buying these coins anymore.

For me, back to low premium bullion coins.....and the Privy Snake come March fits that bill nicely. I'm just one tiny tiny buyer who will now substitute the high premium Snakes for the low premium privy snake.

The loser in this if my buying pattern is repeated by many others? The Perth Mint who by their own actions have bastardized (word?) the bullion Lunar Series.

16. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1 back to basics for me
    Sovereigns & 10oz bars ;)

17. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but the privy dragon sold at the same bullion price as the normal dragon from the Perth Mint. Other dealers were marking the normal one up but the issue price from the mint was the same as the 1oz kooks and koalas for both the normal and privy dragons (although spot had obviously moved between the sellout of the dragon and the selling of the privy which accounted for a difference in actual price).

You'll also find that the dealers are still only allowed to buy the little amount they were allocated - so true demand is still being restricted. I have an order of well over 1000 1oz snakes that I can't currently fill because the mint wont let me exceed my tiny allocation.

malachii

18. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes, they had an Aluminium Bronze Dragon as well.

It was only released on a PNC (Philatelic Numismatic Cover) a coin about 1oz size, maybe a bit smaller, with a stamp for about $15 if my memory serves me well.

19. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I bought my privies directly from Silber-corner.de rather than the mint and they were about $47 which included the cost of postage from Germany. At the time the non privies were still being offered at around $55-$60 on the secondry market.

We should just boycott the snakes and then with all the people who want snakes we should be able to have 200,000 Silver Stacker Privies made up. I think we had pre-orders for around 1/5 of the dragon supply last year.

20. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Really? In Australia the first week they were realised they had massive premiums but i think that was secondary retailers trying to make super-normal profits through price gouging..

I ended waiting and paying $100 less for the roll which was around $750.. (EXACTLY the same as the reminted KOOKS which some SS got RIPPED OFF with --- sorry no kind way of saying that they thought they were buying old skool rolls as this is what the site said!)

I scored one roll from here for $650... $32.50 each.. a decent price for the more rare of the two bullion drags.

Its not really the point that RRP was the same, its more the supply side just when the Dragons were around $60 it made all dragons come down by around $10.. if we assume this rule for when the Privy Snake comes out then we will see cheaper snakes across the board.. Its really bad timing to wait for the excitment of the initial bullion to die off when it would naturally drop in price... for the PM to then drop another 200K this is why we saw the spectacular price drop.. why wouldnt the exact smae thing happen again...

1for1