S10Y 2003 Panda - Finally Has Attributes Assigned For Varieties

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by comeaux, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Pandacollector

Pandacollector Active Member

I've had a tour of the PCGS grading facility. If there's a conservation area there I didn't notice it. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but I didn't hear about it, or see it.

Best wishes,
    Peter Anthony
    http://www.pandacollector.com

2. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

you could be right Peter, i just know what a phone person said ,she told me that the coin I sent in under guarantee(see earlier post) MS69 1999 ld serif with milk spots would be examined and it would be determined if it could be "fixed" if not then Mr hall would examine the coin and determine if it was eligible for guarantee, she specifically reiterated that they would try to "fix the coin ,she also told me that the 60 day wait time was because Mr Hall the founder of PCGS was the only person that made determinations on coins when it comes to their guarantee..........so they must have some type of capability to conserve coins,if that capability will ever be open to the public who knows?? either that or the women on the phone was telling me a far fetched story:)

3. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

PCGS will send the milky coin to NCS to try and fix it up.

:lol: just kidding.

4. Catseye

Catseye New Member

Oops, I believe misread the OP's 2nd post. The bamboo on this coin is the frosted, yes?
    /May I borrow your eyeballs? :lol:

5. comeaux

comeaux Member Silver Stacker

We may soon be seeing the first NGC attributes assigned to the S10Y 2003 Chinese Panda.

After some recent communication with one of the NGC representatives that I talk to frequently, he advised me to send these two coins that are pictured here in this post to his attention and he would bring them to the world coin graders. He showed the NGC world graders these pictures and they said that these are more likely the two varieties that they are adding to their attribution program. He said that they would not conclusively say by pictures alone but they want to see them in hand.

Although PCGS is labeling the attribute "frosted" and "satin", my opinion would be "frosted bamboo" and "mirrored bamboo" so who knows what it will be.

To date PCGS has graded a total of 683 S10Y 2003 Pandas in which 18 are "satin". NGC has graded a total of 1,861 with no attributes as yet. The NGC rep told me that no one has actually submitted one of these for an attribute so hopefully I will be posting pics up soon of the first NGC "mirrored bamboo" properly labeled !

Both coins arrived at NGC today so I should hear something soon. :)

Since I started looking into this more scare 2003 variety I have been scanning ebay for the last few months but not finding any of these "mirrored" in OMP at all. Then a week or so ago I see one and recognized it immediately by it not in Shenzhen Guobao pouch (Frosted) and bought it for $127. Sure enough when I received it, it was a mirrored in pristine OMP. As soon as I get my current submission back from NGC I will submit this new mirrored along with a few more 2003 frosted to have attributes assigned.

Obviously this is not any huge development or ground breaking discovery worth money but as a collector small things like this peak my interest and keep it fun. :)

6. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

CAN grab the ms68 frosted for $120?---should I?

7. Catseye

Catseye New Member

I was fortunate enough to grab one off eBay in March, thank you for staying on top of this comeaux.

8. Catseye

Catseye New Member

Oops, edit. Frosted? I see OMP's for $80..

9. comeaux

Just remember these "frosted" are the common 2003 variety.

10. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

yeah, im a dope--oops :p

11. Dave92029

Dave92029 New Member

How do you get NGC to grade the attributes to a previously graded coin? Is it worth the effort? Thanks

[​IMG]/img] NGC MS69

12. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Thanks comeaux for the update. Im searching ebay when i know the variety but i dont find one. Im continue searching it.

13. comeaux

You just send in the coin with your specific attribute request.

In the case of the 2003 I did it for more of a "novelty" than anything else plus the fact that mine will/may be the first with the new attribute was kind of cool. :)

If anyone has the "mirror" or as PCGS calls it the "satin" I think it may be worth getting the attribute assigned as they are far more scarce than the common "frosted"

14. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

I miss buy it a few weeks ago from apmex in pcgs because i dont like pcgs and for the trouble to ship to my country but i think when ngc began grading the satin will go for much more than now.

15. digoxin

digoxin Member Silver Stacker

Thanks Commeaux for being a 'trailblazer' and Panda Collector and Musemellow for educating us in these variety.

I recall reading somewhere that there at least 5 variations of the 2003. It is this idiosyncrasy as well as the beauty of the coin that makes Panda collecting so fascinating. It turns from a simple bullion coin which should essentially be a commodity item into a coin which has character and soul.

Do you think this mirror/frosted bamboo variation will evolve the same way as the 2000 mirror/frosted with super-premiums attached to the mirror version?

Is this variation just a function of different mint locations using a different die and minting formula? Or was it more intentional? What is the story behind the mirror/frosted 2000 and the 1995 twig/date variations?

I was just scanning through ebay and wondering whether these are the mirror versions. My thinking is to compare the background bamboo and compare that to panda paw and large vertical bamboo on the periphery. The mirror/satin version is where the background bamboo is shinier and darker and more akin to the paw and tall bamboo's tone.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2003-1oz...955?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bb3c02cb

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2003-CHI...ultDomain_0&hash=item2ebd6afa4a#ht_1547wt_932

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2003-SIL...aultDomain_0&hash=item5649ca1015#ht_500wt_949

16. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

The 2003 will never be worth what the 2000s are worth due to differences in mintage quantities. But there could be a similar ratio between the varieties.

17. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Now the normal 2003 in ms69 go for 150/170.
    The 2000 frosted for 380 in ms69 and the mirror for 1250.
    Is 3 x frosted.
    Its the same ratio apply the 2003 satin will go for 450/510. Nice

18. comeaux

Update from NGC

Hopefully I will be posting pics of encapsulated coins with the correct attributes posted very soon !

Here below is the email response I got from my contact at NGC moments ago when I asked if he had gotten my submission of 2003 "Mirrored" & "Bamboo" Pandas:

"Hi Randy,
    Yes, I heard from the graders that they have it and will be recognizing the different varieties. We have a consultant in from China right now so we're doing a little additional research but I'm told that they will ultimately be relabeled with the varieties"

As I expressed earlier ... it's not that monetarily I gain any advantage at all here but I'm just excited that NGC is recognizing this new variety !

19. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

The comeaux variety, the randy variety or the tinky variety. I think you win the right to name the new variety
    :)

20. comeaux

I will upload a picture of the "mirror" bamboo in OMP later on so that you all can see the pouch. It is Shenyang Mint pouch.