[QA] Getting Coins graded

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by SilverTouch, Oct 10, 2011.

1. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

I just got a grading report back on 66 coins .............. 45 came back decent ,but I am very frustrated about 10 coins ,they where 10- 10y 2012 China scallop dragons, never out of capsules, they have a high % of pf70 over 50% in the census, I looked these coins over carefully ,they where real nice ,not a mark on any........... 7 pf 69, 2 pf 68, 1 pf67,I am going to look these over very carefully ,they are in transit now to me, if there is a scratch on any they are going to hear me:) I have graded over 200 coins in the last 60 days, i will let you guys know when I see the coins....................... the difference in value between 69 and 70 is huge as you folks know...........

2. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

I don't mean to be disrespectful to anyone, but I personally think it is absurd to be so hopeful for a MS70 and angry if one isn't received.

MS70 means perfection.

The odds of a soft metal being minted to perfection, free from even the slightest nick, chip, lint mark, etc. are slim to begin with. Not to mention that by time you get the coin it has been transported around the world in a hard capsule, or pouch, that while we like to think will keep it safe, can also do slight amounts of damage from vibration.

If the grading companies have begun grading stricter, I think that's good. If I get or buy an MS70, I want absolute perfection, not a coin that looks just like the MS68 or MS69 next to it.

If you don't like the grade, send it back in and see what happens. Supposedly multiple graders evaluate the coins to determine a final grade. Is your opinion really better than that of trained experts? Are they always perfect, of course not, they're humans. Either remove it from the holder, which is incredibly easy to do with a dremel and you don't even have to get close to the coin, or send it in under the ReGrade service and let them remove it for you.

It would be a good experiment, and I'm sure we'd all love to see the results. Send back the 10 coins you are upset about and track the results. You already sent 200 in, why not 10 more, lol.

IDK, it's fun to look at coins and predict what you may get, but getting angry just doesn't make sense to me; bummed out, sure. This is the gamble to take with grading.

3. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

First , Thanks zinger, you are right I did misinterpret what was said , so now I am guessing they regraded the the same coins over and the grader or different graders did not know which coins they graded, or something like that. I am still not sure if 85% is really very good espescially when alot of money is on the line.

And JC888.. That is interesting I got results from 2 of the chinese scallop dragons and 2 fan dragons which i picked the best of alot of them all 4 of mine were 69 as well. I do think there might be some bias toword the bigger companies that send a ton of coins in because like Heiyimderek said i want a coin that is a 70 to be close to perfect too but it kind of ticks me off when my coins that look perfect come back at 69 and coins I get from large companies in florida that send everything to get graded send me 70 eagles and pandas and lunars that have very obvious marks nics spots and imperfections, it is a waste of time to get them regraded. I am still not sure grading isnt sort of a sham it is kind of fun but I would like to see more consistancy. I am starting to think the conserving and grading of espescially pandas might be a good idea too bad it is so expensive. One more interesting thing with the batch I just sent is all the coins I got from a well known chinese ebay dealer came back at 68 and the others from random omp came back at 69 (except the 67 I mentioned earlier. This just goes to show me I am better off getting the omp coins from someone that may not be an expert with the coins just selling them , where the expert will always keep the good ones and send me the lower quality. Thanks for the info guys!

4. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

If the chinese ebay dealer begin with huang....
    He resealed the coins. If you buy from him. Ask first its the coin is original sealed or resealed.

5. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

He has openly stated on CCF that he will now write "resealed" on listings where the coins have been resealed.

6. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

All my dealings with this dealer were very good I was just using it as an expample/comparison (and these coins were in the correct mint seals from what I can tell), to random coins from people that are not really looking at the quality . Although this could also work both ways and someone could be unknowingly selling a fake or bad coin. Anyway I am happy with the overall results of the grading isnt a 69 grade in pandas pretty good? What about the 2010 67 panda what do you think it is worth, I wouldnt feel right about breaking the slab and selling it in the capsule, and too much of a hasstle sending it back to ngc even if it looks like damage during the process..

7. Zinger

Zinger New Member

Keep in mind this is for coins HE has had resealed, there will often be coins floating around among dealers that have been resealed anytime in the last two decades.

Sometimes it is resealing using the mint packaging and heat strips, sometimes it can be a simple as using a regular strip sealer to heal a razor slice along the mint packaging.

8. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

So are they resealing them in China ? and why are they resealing them ? because they actually sent them to be graded? or they wanted to take a closer look ? or ??

9. Zinger

Zinger New Member

Resealing is done for any number of reasons, ease of transport, ease of storage, deceptively selling low grade coins, deceptively selling damaged coins, extra protection or regrouping coins that hat been removed from the plastic for storage/collection.

I think the amount of resealing for deceptive purposes is way overblown. However in the western market, there is the expectation that OMP means a coin unaltered from the day it left the mint. Some people take it too far and expect only pristine coins in OMP. This will never be the case.

10. jc888888888

my american friend ,it is absurd to get angry ,and I am not..............let me explain something to you though......when I sent these coins in, 20 coins had been graded, check the census, 16 OF THE 20 WHERE GRADED pf70, and none lower than pf 69, i grade partly based upon a percentage assumption ,it is not unreasonable to assume that if you send 10 coins in with that percentage coming back pf70 and these coins where pristine, that you would get at least 1 70 and certainly no 67,IT IS also REASONABLE TO ASSUME,they either damaged the coins or dramatically changed there standards,that is all I was saying ,and if one of those coins comes back with a mark on it I will be angry :), my friend since i graded over 1800 coins last year alone ,I am well aware of how the game goes and had my share of disappointments and pleasant surprises ...........and after looking at that many coins before and after ,you would think even a monkey would have ascertained a fair bit of knowledge on what to grade and what not to send.........................

11. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Wow... over 1800 coins... amazing!

Can we have some pics like Fishball, Comeaux and heyimderrick's? That way I can explain to some people that most Panda collectors collect more than just one coin from each year :)

12. jc888888888

small snapshot:)
    2772159 01/20/12 66 4910.00 Finalized/Imaged/Shipped
    2771260 12/20/11 58 4930.00 Finalized/Imaged/Shipped
    2770682 11/23/11 54 4835.00 Finalized/Imaged/Shipped
    2566817 11/16/11 25 1500.00 Finalized/Imaged/Shipped

* Only Orders completed in the last 6 months are displayed.
    i got 100 more in there now :)

Yennus my good friend :) out of those 1800 ,50 coins I kept for my collection
    With twin girls , I need to buy and sell ,to be able to afford to collect what i like ......... simply put, I sell some coins people want to buy,so I can collect what I like,as i cant afford to just buy what i like ,out of those 1800 ,1500 where very common lunars and ASE,s and US mint coins, you grade them ,sell them make 5 or 10 a coin , so I can afford my crazy hobbie....

I am going to post some before pics ,of some stuff I am going to send to NCS , mostly bears:) long beach 5 oz, expo coins, snow leopard , terra cotta set, a couple of NYC panda,s i recently got my hands on ,some old lake placid olympic stuff, a bunch of different OMP bears from the 90,s , a 2000 milenium set for you aussie,s :) ,including an old snake proof and some older proof Kooks. I will post the before pics,this stuff is toned ,some of the old china stuff has a little PVC damage, It will be real interesting to see how they come back:):) some of them are in rough shape!....... i am going to take a shot and see what happens...
    gotta catch a plane ,chat at you later....... hopefully i get the pics up this weekend, we will all wait together to see the results:) and of course ,i will post the after photo,s ,maybe we could start a contest guess the grades:) i will supply a prize!