[QA] Getting Coins graded

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by SilverTouch, Oct 10, 2011.

1. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

This would not be a problem ... you could send in ten 2003 pandas from various members and each coin submitted would have a unique ID number assigned to it by the submitter before shipping.

The number would be fixed with a lablel and attached to the capsule or plastic of each individual coin.

Ok so for example your submitting invoice is #5402589 so then the coins being sent in to NCS would be labeled as such:

#5402589-001
    #5402589-002
    #5402589-003
    #5402589-004
    #5402589-005
    #5402589-006
    #5402589-007
    #5402589-008
    #5402589-009
    #5402589-010

So you see the submitter will determine the initial number a coin is assigned and that number will stay with the coin until it is back in your hands.

The only variance is that when it is transferred to NGC after NCS conservation the first 7 numbers will change to NGC numbers but the identifying last three numbers will remain the same. If fishy had #005, 006 & 007 ... then that will be your coins when they come back.

2. comeaux

I found they were nearly identical ... I have memberships with both PCGS & NGC

3. comeaux

I made some calls to USPS today

The only method of shipping that provides insurance to cover bullion/numismatics is USPS "Registered Mail" and unfortunately is not available for shipping to Australia.

Although I also thought about the 1000's of packages that are shipped in and out of Australia every single day so I would think that the odds of something getting lost would be very minute. Of course it is possible that a package could get stolen too but I'm sure those odds are low as well.

In the morning I will call NGC and inquire as to how they manage international shipping securely maybe they can shed some positive light on this situation.

4. comeaux

Ok guys, here is an update

I called NGC in Sarasota, Florida and spoke to Sarah who is in customer service. I usually speak to her or Becky and they are always very helpful.

She did confirm what I have already stated there is no shipper (Fedex, USPS, etc) that will insure for international shipments.

What she did say is that there are international clients who have a small insurance policy under their homeowners insurance or purchase separate insurance for collectibles. I have heard about this type of insurance before but really don't know how expensive it is although I don't think it would be.

In my honest opinion, from experience Fedex has been 100% reliable for me. They are a publicly traded company and their profits are based on customer satisfaction/customer service or they would not be in business so I would really feel confident about shipping with them from Australia to the US. I may feel differently if it was shipping to Sudan or Tonga but this is between to civilized/industrialized nations.

Then again I guess that is easy for me to say because it isn't my coins but I would still do it anyway if it was my only option and feel fairly secure.

I guess for a "test run" we could ship a box of Red Back Spiders to award any potential thief of his good deed :D j/k but seriously I don't think shipping Fedex would be risky.

* Disclaimer, I was only joking, please do not ship Red Back Spiders via Fedex or USPS *

5. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Not too worried about insurance, as I would only ship ~$5000 worth of coins each run if I did go through with this and Fedex would be a better option than USPS because they are so slow shipping to Australia and stuff gets lost occasionally, much more often than local Australian post I might add.

Does one just post internationally to NGC and then they grade/conserve/post back (after being paid)? Or would it be better to organize it through someone in the states?

Might be best if we did a bulk posting using Fedex, anyone want to volunteer organizing? :p

6. comeaux

Yes Fishy it is extremely simple ... so all a person does (once they have NGC membership) is:

1. Logon to your NGC account online
    2. Open "submit world coins" form (it is a fillable PDF)
    3. Complete the Submit form starting with the first coin you are submitting in order.
    4. Print form out after completion
    4. Package up your coins securely. For gold in soft plastic I usually put each one in its own bubble wrap. Put your coins and the submit form into shipping box
    5. Print shipping label to NGC address and affix to your package.
    6. Ship ! yaaaayyy :D
    7. Ok so now when your package arrives at NGC you can logon to your account and monitor the progress.

Here is what stages you will see after it arrives at NGC as you monitor progress:

1. "RECEIVED" _ When your coins arrive at NGC, they verify that the coins you have listed on the submit form are indeed what is in the box, once this is verified then your order status shows this "received".

2. "SCHEDULED FOR GRADING" _ Now that your order has been verified that coins match the submit form, they will check the authenticity of the coins, if all are authentic, this is what you see "Scheduled for grading"

3. "QUALITY CONTROL" _ Ok so now your coins have been received, authenticated and graded. Now they are given a final check for proper grading, label, etc and then you see this "quality control" (note: this is the stage where I am usually wearing out my refresh button and saying a few prayers because you will soon have your grade) :)

4. "FINALIZED/IMAGED/SHIPPED" _ At this stage you will now see the grades of all of your coins. They have been received, authenticated, graded & shipped. Here is when you see "Finalized/imaged/shipped" at this time you not only have the grades of your coins but can see the image of them online at NGC as well. Now you just have to kick back, wait and be happy with all of the 69's and 70's coming your way (j/k ... it's not always that easy for the 69's/70's :))

You select your payment method on the NGC submit form whether it be personal check, money order, credit card, etc...
    Ok so this is how it is done ... after the first it is very easy. I have been saying it but I will get around to loading a completed form so members can see the proper information needed as a guide. The next time I ship I will also take some photos step by step as it may be helpful.

7. fishball

Much appreciated comeaux!

Just checking how much it costs via Fedex to USA... far out almost $100 for 1kg to USA via Fedex Intl. Economy!!!

I might just use International Registered or something, cheaper :)

8. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

8. And if you don't get the grade you want, break open from slab and resubmit as a new submission in the hope of a higher grading next time (commonly done for numismatics).

9. comeaux

Thanks ... This is a great point luckylukeonline and I have seen people do this ... it hasnt been very good for me as every single time I have done this I get the same grade back and once it came back one grade lower :(

10. comeaux

wow !!! that seems excessive ! The package I sent you was only $19 and that was "international priority" seems to me if you select a more basic Fedex it would be cheaper but like I've said, I'm not familiar with Aussie shipping so I really can't contribute much there :(

11. fishball

Yeah everything's a ripoff down here, I might just use International Registered etc etc.

How does NGC ship back to us down here? Via Fedex? Got "GST" considerations and all that..painful.

12. comeaux

You select the return shipping method on your submission form, any questions that you may have they are extremely amiable and always willing to help so when you get to the shipping phase you could call them to substantiate ...

13. AndyRoo68

AndyRoo68 Member Silver Stacker

Thanks comeaux, some great information here. Makes it so much easier when we can get first hand knowledge and experience on the grading process.

Will have a look at some of my coins to see if I think they are worth sending off, just have to find a way to post to USA at a reasonable price.

Just checked Fedex rates - f**k me! International Priority Envelope to US - $69.30!! - for a dam envelope!

Think I will check out other options.

14. comeaux

hello Andy and thanks ... It's just my opinion but if your coins are in the original mint packaging then they should be great canidates for submitting to grade.

My only caution would be to those who have purchased coins from EBAY in US that are NOT in the OMP .

Just be aware that because grading is very popular here in US, some unethical dealers/sellers will bust out bad graded coins from their holder as sell them as "OMP' or "mint fresh" ...

I'm not trying to discourage anyone as this may not be the case for you but it has happened and does happen so just be careful and buy raw coins only in OMP if you are planning to grade them or if you trust the dealer very well.

I'm not trying to yell "fire" in a crowded theatre but I'm only trying to give you a heads up on some of my bad experiences is all ...

oh yea ... on shipping rates thats odd??? Like I said my package to fishball was only $19 usd ??? hmmmm yea you guys are getting hosed

15. comeaux

Ok guys here is an NCS order form that I just completed as a sample form (below all of my written texts) for you guys to see what is required and how to complete it.

As you can see it is pretty simple. I have highlighted in yellow the areas that need to be filled with information except the "notes" section. Nothing is required here in notes but I always put something. You can put notes like "Hey this is a 1992 but I am not sure if it is large or small date" it is not required but I like to draw their attention to it sometimes.

For the most part your Chinese Coins will be selected as a "C" service in section #5 which is any Uncertified US or Foreign coin valued at $3,000 or less. This service is $22.50 and includes Conservation/Grading/Encapsulation and the new "Edge View Scratch Resistant" holder.

Section #6 is only for optional services if you want, sorry I should have not written my cave man style writing on it as it is pretty easy to understand. Maybe not now scribbles all over it

Then all you do is go down the list and put the details of your coins. The section at the right for declared value is not very accurate I just scrolled down quickly and put prices for examples.

If you submit coins that are already in holders you must initial the "X" in secion #5 to give NCS permission to bust them out of their current holder.

Ok so now the form is complete and you are ready to ship one final stage. You will need to get some small adhesive labels (envelope labels work great) or just plain paper to tape the OMP or capsule of the coin (NOT TO THE COIN itself OBVIOUSLY) :D

Then write the numbers in sequence as they are on the submit form on the labels and stick them to each individual coin. Ok so this is invoice #5403236 (top right of form) so that will be your numbers to label your coin such as this

#5403236-001
    #5403236-002
    #5403236-003
    #5403236-004
    #5403236-005
    #5403236-006
    #5403236-007
    #5403236-008
    #5403236-009
    #5403236-010

So these numbers will be assigned to the individual coin through the entire conservation process. Like I said before, once they are conserved at NCS and transferred to NGC for grading, only the first 7 numbers change but the last three numbers stay with the coin. So for example the first coin #5403236-001 will change to #3551426-001 once it gets to NGC.

So for example fishy, yennus, comeaux each submitted a 2003 coin which is number 002, 003, 004. As long as we know when we packaged the coins whose coin was for who, like mine being #5403236-003 for example. When it comes back after conservation/grading it may be #3551426-003 but I know the third coin is mine. It is a simple system but it works very well IMO.

Sometimes I am not very good at long explanations but hopefully this will help you

Don't worry I have a TOLL FREE 800 LINE to call me on when you get to this grading process if you want more guidance and I am more than happy to help anyone :)

comeaux

ps. Check out who the submitter is :D

[​IMG]

16. lucky luke

Any package from Australia to the USA over 2KG gets an additional postal surcharge imposed by the US to cover the additional cost of US parcel security screening. This additional surcharge does not apply to parcels to any other country. Yes, we are getting hosed in more ways than one.

17. comeaux

That is interesting, it seems odd there would be additional screening from a peaceful country like Australia. Is this what is referred to as GST I keep hearing about?

18. fishball

19. lucky luke

As Fishball has indicated, this additional surcharge has nothing to do with GST (Goods and Services Tax). It is merely an additional charge imposed by the US on Australian post to assist in allying your nations additional costs in security screening of large/heavy incoming parcels. I regularly post bullion all over the world, but particularly to the US. This additional surcharge is only associated with post to the USA.

Note though, it only kicks in for post over 2kg so a relatively small number of coins for the purpose of grading won't incur this addional cost. It will however should Aust dealers submit large quantities of coins for grading.

20. comeaux

this is good information for those wanting to grade coins ... shipping only 20 to 25 coins at a time with round trip shipping around $40 only adds $2 to each coin bringing grading costs to $24.5 which is not bad for a high value coin.

If someone wanted to go "economy" they could skip NCS conservation and submit straight to NGC for grading only at "world modern economy" for $16.50

I'm not recommending it, just conveying possible options for members who may have different investment/collecting strategies