POSEIDON - *Actual* photos PLUS video

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by zlatibor, Jun 3, 2014.

1. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

At the end of the day, the perception is in the eye of the beholder, period. One person may think a coin is ugly...or one gal/guy is ugly, but another person finds it/them attractive. Too each his own. But I think free speech is allowed on the board, yes? One person shares why they think a coin/medal is awesome...and another has the 'right' to come along and say why they think it is fugly. But at the end of day, we live with our decisions. So, if you like the Poseidon coins, buy it, and if someone says, 'its ugly.' So what. They're entitled to their opinion. Obviously enough folks love them, or they wouldn't command the prices they do. Thems are the facts. I don't like it personally. However, I wish I had 40 of them at 179.00 to sell!! LOL

2. pushingtin

pushingtin Member Silver Stacker

Wouldn't it be boring if we all liked the same things in life....

Nothing wrong with voicing an opinion but it is not nice to be insulting to someone, so I guess its all about the way it comes across to the next person... (I am talking in general and not about this thread).

Can we all move on and back to topic.

3. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

People are not paying the prices they are paying because they think the coin is ugly. By voting with their wallet they are screaming that they like the coin and its presentation. Of course it only takes 1501 people worldwide to really really like it for it to be a big winner.

4. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Not at all necessarily true.

Some or many people buy coins not because they like the coin but because they: 1) get caught up in the hype and make the decision to buy that coin because of the hype or 2) they see it as an opportunity to turn it over and make some money.

I myself have been guilty of at least one of those.

5. clear

clear Well-Known Member

so would you take one at $ 179 , knowing you can now sell it at $ 400+

6. mmissinglink

"Knowing" is the operative word, isn't it. If I could be assured of making a very QUICK and EASY $220 plus profit after all is said and done, then yes!

Still doesn't make this coin any less fugly. :)

7. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This is almost a timeless truth. You will never convince someone who thinks something is beautiful that it is not. It is really a pointless discussion. It is great advice that has been said many times - "Buy what you like".

8. mmissinglink

^ Most people that I know of who do purchase coins actually do discuss things like the design of the coin. It's very common in fact. Discussions on whether a coin design is appealing to people who buy them happens very frequently and so you will never convince people that their discussions about coin designs are pointless.

9. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

It is not pointless to discuss coins. It is pointless to try and convince someone that something they believe is beautiful is not.

10. clear

clear Well-Known Member

you thinking it is ugly, doesn't actually make it ugly, its just you cant see the beauty and poor judgement has cost you $ 220

11. mmissinglink

I didn't see anyone give me a guarantee that I would make at least $220 on the purchase of such an ugly coin so I missed nothing my friend.

12. clear

clear Well-Known Member

exactly, you have to use your own judgement, its ok the third in the series is coming up so maybe worth considering

13. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

There are no guarantees when buying any coin. One can only use their own judgement to the best of their ability when deciding on what to purchase and why.

Speaking specifically about myself, If I thought such a coin was ugly and then the market on it took off I would take pause to reflect on my own tastes and ask myself what I was missing. The reason I would do so is because the market is defining my taste as one that is missing out on huge opportunities. I still would say to buy what one likes but I would not miss the chance to challenge my own beliefs since I hope that my coin choices also pan out as investments.

14. mmissinglink

Which was not being done by me and so your contention, if directed at me, is pointless. That, I am not surprised by at all.

You are arguing my position...thank you. It was member Clear who asserted that I would be assured ("knowing") to be able to buy this coin at 179 and sell at "400+"....but maybe you missed that part of the discussion. It was I who responded by being critical of his assertion of knowing. One can not know such things unless they have a contract already in hand...and no such contract exists for me and that's why I stated early in this discussion that I would pass on this coin because in fact there is no assurance ( "knowing") of that claim for me.

Now you get it mtforpar?

15. chrissilver

chrissilver Member Silver Stacker

@mmissinglink

Knowing that the Zuez coin and Posidon coin fair market value increased significantly after their release will you be picking up the last in the series when it is released, if you can get one at release price?

16. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

To be clear, my comments are not directed at any one individual. They are part of a discussion of which I am hoping to add value. If one looks closely I speak only about what I would do. The motivation is my desire to help others in their decision making process. There is nothing more to it than that.

I use a method called DMAIC in problem solving.

Define the problem
    Measure the problem
    Analyze the problem
    Implement a solution
    Control (Measure the effectiveness of the solution which starts the process of again)

In this situation it would go something like this:

Define - I want to make smart investments in coins and precious metals
    Measure - How have the coins I purchased in the past performed?
    Analyze - What should guide my buying decisions?
    Implement - Buy coins and PMs consistent with the Analysis
    Control - Was I successful? Using the same measurement methodology I used to measure initially what were my results? What should I do differently?

Using this method helps me to identify if I am buying correctly or incorrectly and analyze my results. If a coin is a winner and I don't buy it I am forced to consider what happened and determine if I want to alter my strategy at all. As well, if I am buying winners it forces me to analyze why they are winners and attempt to replicate the behavior. Lastly, if I am buying losers it forces me to analyze that and try something different.

17. mmissinglink

No...I am not convinced that it is worth the time or effort for ME to try to get this coin and then try to re-sell it. If it's true that the demand will remain high at the point of initial sales from the manufacturer (the mint) and considering all the problems I've been reading regarding the release of these coins in some lottery system, etc and the fact that the shipping to the States is possibly excessive and the fact that everyone who owns one may be trying to underprice their competition to get a sale and the fact that those in the aftermarket who may want to buy it might mostly be in Europe or Australia (I haven't done any research to know where the bulk of the aftermarket rests), is it really worth it to gamble on something that is designed so poorly with what clearly appears to be little if any forethought? Remember, you can sell a heap of junk at the point of sale from the manufacturer (like a 1975 AMC Pacer or a Ford Pinto) if you get enough herd-like salesmen to pitch it to a gullible base....doesn't mean that heap of junk isn't a heap of junk just because a bunch of 'em were sold in a first wave of sales.

Now, if you ask this same question of me in regards to a superbly designed coin from the Tiffany Art series of coins or some other series whose designs are well thought out and superbly executed, then my answer would be yes because I'm convinced those coins have staying power unlike the hideous Zeus and Poseidon. Time will tell if I am wrong.

18. zlatibor

zlatibor Member

Some clown COINFLIPLUNATIC in the US has shamelessly pinched my Poseidon photo to accompany their coin listing on ebay.
    Just because I share it here with fellow stackers is not reason enough to try to profit from my work.
    Makes me furious.

19. zlatibor

zlatibor Member

...has now removed it.

20. mmissinglink

Anyone here would know that it definitely wasn't me. But yeah, sucks that someone used your pic.