Now this is a Canadian Coin

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by heyimderrick, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Irondog

Irondog New Member

Any commentary to go along with the photos Diablo? Are you pleased with them or generally disappointed...please do tell. FedEx will be delivering my 3 Canoes this Friday....at last.

2. Diablo21

Diablo21 Member

They're awesome, I love the design. I used my crappy phone camera for the pictures, my Sony camera went for a dive in the water and doesn't work anymore :D

Not impressed with the package and the fact that the cardboard it comes in is considered the "certificate of authenticity", the last coin in the series has individual COA inside each coins blue cardboard case.

I have another 9 coins on the way, 3 for the guys here and the rest for me.

3. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

I picked up 10 of the Calgary Olympics sports coins here in Denver the other day for spot. Given they are 1 oz coins proof with a face value of $20 that's good going. I've not collected Canadian silver much but perhaps the rcm might be getting their act together with the wildlife series? By the way dealers I've been to here in the us want spot plus $5-6 for ase's which is just a joke for a coin that never changes it's design just it's year stamp and will have an annual mintage of like 40,000,000.

4. Diablo21

Diablo21 Member

RCM doesn't considers the wildlife series a collector coin and they know about the milk spot issue but they're not doing anything about or ever will. The $20 coin on the other hand are collectors' coins and they are of much better quality. RCM does have some good stuff but way too expensive IMO. The only reason I bought this coin was because of the face value, if it was based on silver value, I wouldn't have bought any.

5. Matthew 26:14

The rcm coins with a $20 face value are a good idea to stack IMHO as if spot falls below $20 it means you won't follow spot down any lower as you can go bank your coin for $20. Kind of like a stop loss on your silver with a price floor at $20

6. Irondog

Irondog New Member

^^^ The $20 face Canoes are 7.96g .9999 silver...so they would be worth $20 melt value at $80 spot. They'll never be worth less than $20...and with only 250,000 limited minting they're already fetching a good premium on fleabay.

Mint.ca website says 70% of mintage is sold in just 23 days.

7. Irondog

Irondog New Member

Yeah, the high premium on ASE's can seem ridiculous....but they sell vast #'s of these regardless. The US Mint sells them to "authorised distibutors" at spot+$2.00...the local coin shop buys them from these distributors and probably aren't making much money selling bullion ASE's at spot+$5.00. The ASE is highly valued in the US because it is liquid and instantly-recognized by everyone here. This is in stark contrast to the silver-Maple, which is a nice coin with a more pure .9999 silver...not too much interest in them here, dealers will buy them at the same price they'd pay for your generic rounds, or less, IME. One local coin-shop said they'd pay spot minus $2 for Maples. ASE's will always get at least spot and I've seen some dealers claiming to pay as high as spot plus $2.00....

$20 for $20 Canoe is now 75% of mintage sold in 24 days...

and I just noticed they will now ship this item to Canada and US only...pretty sure they were originally shipping them everywhere...Australia, Germany, South-Korea etc.

8. AndyRoo68

AndyRoo68 Member Silver Stacker

Bit of an old thread, but had to have a whinge somewhere! :)
    Ordered the 3 coin canoe set 2 months ago from the Canadian Mint, have emailed them twice in that time to see what was going on with the order - of course no reply.
    Today I get this email:

"Thank you for contacting the Royal Canadian Mint. With regards to your inquiry, please note that we have cancelled the order since this product could not ship Internationaly. We would like to apologize for the inconcvenience this may have caused, unfortunately the web accepted the order in which a glitch occured at the same time which actually accepted the order s instead of refusung them."

What a crock of poo! There are members here and in the US that received these coins, I don't like being fed bulls#@t.

/end of rant :)

I did manage to get a set through a member here, so no big deal, just such slack service from the Canadian Mint that I will never buy from them again.

9. silver dragon

silver dragon New Member

I ordered as well and have been waiting patiently. I will have to email them. I will have to check also and see if money refunded.
    Thanks for the heads up AndyRoo68.

10. domdolittle

domdolittle Active Member Silver Stacker

If anyone has a couple spares of those $20 coins, I can do a swap 'to the same value' in anything that might interest you, which I could possibly have in my well stocked stack of coins, rounds and others... Try me, if you have something in mind.

:cool:

11. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

I am continuing to buy Cougars because they are priced below the regular 2012 Maple right now. Don't quite understand the logic but taking full advantage. Already the Grizzlies are attracting a premium and the Timber Wolf is very difficult to get hold of. I am sure ( and hope ) that in a year from now the prices for Cougars will be significantly higher than regular Maples.

12. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

I have an extra 3 canoes with one card available if any one is interested. Send a PM.

13. Irondog

Irondog New Member

As spot dives, the buyer's remorse I felt after buying these $20 for $20 Canoes is diminishing. Wish I had more than 6 of them now hahaha. As an aside, I'm seeing the 2011 Canadian silver Wolves for spot +$10 right now at a local dealer. I'm surprised to see them on the market at this low price since they were unavailable for months....time to pick up a few rolls tomorrow. Keep your eyes open for deals....some are being forced to sell now to pay the bills.

14. domdolittle

domdolittle Active Member Silver Stacker

I've got what I was after, don't need anymore, thank you for the offers, guys...

:cool:

15. Matthew 26:14

Living in California is a bit of a pain surely - > 8.3% sales tax on silver coins unless you buy over $1,500 a time.... uugghh. I walked out of several stores after learning that this year, I'm sure their business must suffer in CA. Consumers have to pay spot + premium + 8.3% tax = no buyin in CA !!

16. nonrecourse

nonrecourse Well-Known Member

A Canadian Friend who lives in the Czeck republic got a shock when he bought a small amount of .999 silver they have a 20% tax on silver but not gold.

Kind Regards
    non recourse