Now this is a Canadian Coin

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by heyimderrick, Oct 5, 2011.

1. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Maybe there's an opportunity for the Perth Mint to make a local version inspired by this - say a $50 FV 1/2oz silver coin on the Lunar planchet, or a new 1/4oz coin. Would take a while for the intrinsic value to overtake the face value that way.

2. Diablo21

Diablo21 Member

Just ordered 3 more coins, all spoken for.

Created a new account for my brother and used my neighbor's address, hopefully I'll get the coins soon because as soon as I hit submit, I realized I put the wrong last digit in the postal code.

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You have more than one neighbour don't you! :p

4. Jislizard

Why bother when they can sell a $1 for $50.

Though I would like to see it and would certainly buy it. In fact I would convert all my plastic money to a silver coin with the same face value.

The only problem with these coins was that they were limited, so no shop keeper recognised them or would accept them and the only places that would were the banks and the post offices (From what I have read on the other forums).

In order for this to work it would need to be unlimited and not restricted to 3 per person. However even if it was limited and restricted I would still buy up to the max! get to work!

When I was last in the UK they regularly sold 5 commemorative coins for 5, though they were cupronickel, they came in little wallets with info etc. so I picked them up whenever I could. never spent any though.

5. adrenalin

adrenalin New Member

Nice canadian coin design!
    I'm sure they were inspired by the aussie kangroo design.
    And I'm sure there will be more similar ones with reflections/matt to proof finish coming out in the future.

[​IMG]

6. Jislizard

7. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

I got 3 more too. Had the girlfriend order for me. Lol.

8. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Time to snag a few more GFs ;)

9. Capricorn

Capricorn New Member

If you've already had a go at cleaning your Grizzlies - and you're willing to try another method at your own risk, of course - then line a non-metal dish with aluminium foil, put in about 2 heaped teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda (NOT baking soda, which is a combination of bicarbonate of soda and cream of tartar), add boiling water (it will fizz up) and immediately drop the coins in. Make sure they're fully covered with the water and give them a gentle stir with a non-metallic object every few minutes. Keep an eye on them to see if the spots dissipate. Finally, just rinse off under running water from the cold tap and dry thoroughly. Can't guarantee it will work any better than what you've already tried, but it works incredibly well on heavily tarnished silver.

10. Irondog

Irondog New Member

^^
    Yeah, tried that method and it works great for tarnish removal. Doesn't touch the milk spots though. No need to line the dish with aluminum foil, just make sure the coin is in physical contact with the foil. In the US, baking soda is bicarbonate of soda...baking powder has the cream of tartar...

Decided to try "Mr. Metal Wipes" on one of them and had good success removing the milky spots. The wipes do leave fine scratches under magnification or when viewed in direct sunlight.

Used a microfiber cloth (the kind that comes with a pair of eye-glasses and is used to clean the lenses) with oil/dish-soap solution and had good results with noticeably fewer scratches than the wipes. Both coins look much better after cleaning the spots off regardless of the fine scratches IMO. These Grizzlies are just bullion so I'm not too concerned aboutr the fine scratches.
    Please let me know if cleaning these is a big mistake....

11. rick_au

rick_au Member

Anyone want to do a mini group buy? Since the order is limited to 3 coins. Only 2 people could do it plus myself. Works out at about $30 per coin including postage to Australia. Probably also add on another $5 for postage within Australia? Send me a PM if you are interested.

12. ruzmidah

ruzmidah New Member

I kinda like the cougar designs, they are much better than the grizzlies.

The canoe design is nice. I bet there is some artistic significance in the design; reflecting the old canoist (which is in their old 1960s old silver dollar design) and the young canoist (which probably symbolises the future).

13. Irondog

Irondog New Member

^^
    Have you seen a Cougar in person or is that your take baseed on looking at a photo? Just curious. I'll probably get a Cougar, or two, even if they are as fuggly as folks are saying.

You're just aboot spot on with the interpretation of the Canoe design...the CRM website does discuss the design and has the specs. See the OP for the link. Anyone know what design will follow the Cougar in the wildlife series?

14. Irondog

Irondog New Member

Isn't this from the Aussie mint f12 version. Canadian mint has f15 1oz version....but "temporarily out of stock." Love the design and low 5000 mintage...don't see too many of these on fleabay.

15. ruzmidah

ruzmidah New Member

I think i just like the cougar design... :D

[​IMG]

I bet the next animal will be the moose/elk... :lol:

16. Irondog

Irondog New Member

Anyone receive their Canoes yet? Cutomer service via phone has been no help and no response to two polite requests for a status update via the "contact us" on their website. Is this par for the course when dealing with the CRM? I'm not worried...just expected a little more from them on the customer service end.

17. Diablo21

Diablo21 Member

I got mine yesterday, will post pictures later.

18. dcl

dcl Member

I'm new to silver coin collecting... Any particular size case fit these best?

19. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

Mint says the coin is 27mm. Airtite makes a direct fit capsule and a capsule with a foam ring that will fit this coin.

Doesn't it come from the mint in a holder of some sort?

20. Diablo21

Diablo21 Member

Yes.

Pictures added:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]