Lunar Death?

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by 1for1, Feb 24, 2013.

1. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Re the dragons and GST - if they were bullion coins, no GST should have been charged. Mistakes are regularly made during Customs clearance - one of the biggest headaches as an importer of bullion is having to get imports re-assessed because the first time they try to slug you a five figure GST bill on items that are in an investment form.

The Perth Mint minted them as input-taxed items - they stay input taxed until their form changes. Should never have GST applied to them.

2. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

House what has your experience with buyers been on ebay?

3. bigcountry

bigcountry Member Silver Stacker

720 for a 1kg ox? That's a great price. It wasn't that long ago people were happily paying more than that for a banged up kg bar.

4. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Money-for-nothing clubber! :p

5. ninteno

ninteno Member

Hi guys,
    nice to have a discussion about the death of lunar series. After a three year downtrend in silver we have to ask what do we expect in such a market. I would say nothing. All people are scared now and especially after the dragon desaster it is a wonder people here are still willing to pay a premium on lunar coins. The paper guys did smash POS to a 3 year low. Its time to earn money with a uptrend in silver for them.

Each time we see a uptrend we see greed in the markets and this greed will bring the lunar series to a new level we never have seen before.
    Have a look to the older years of series two. Some sizes are unavailble on the market, most wanted the mouse, some sizes of ox, tiger and rabbit. Also in the momantary bad environenment you can earn high profits on these older coins. What do you expect will happen to the
    price for rarer coins if POS will double and again new people join the markets. I would say only the sky is the limit.

Mouse 2008: 1/2 , 2, 5, 10 and 16 oz - they are already on levels you never did expect and very very hard to find
    Ox 2009: 1/2 , 2, 5, 10 and 16 also 1oz - they are hard to find, sealed rolls of 1oz not available, prices already not from this earth
    Tiger 2010: same as the oxen maybe a bit better, sealed rolls of tigers also rare
    Rabbit 2011: 1/2 oz still cheap, 1oz rising, 2oz cheap, 5oz nearly not available and already on a very high level, 10oz cheap
    Dragon 2012: no comment, i think nearly all people lost money on that
    Snake 2013: all still cheap, but with the still remaining hype in the end of 2012 mintage is too high
    Horse 2014: all still cheap, but don't expect too much from 2oz and 5 oz, 1/2 oz could be good
    Goat 2015: cheapest on the market, investors already highly scared, expect low mintage, especially 1/2 oz

My answer to lunar death ?
    Never, wait for the next bullrun in POS. For this moment try to be prepaired.

My favs for good profits are: 1/2 oz goat, tiger, ox, rabbit and horse followed by 2/5 oz ox and 5 oz rabbit if you are ready to take a higher risk
    No risk i see for the 1oz goat, they will sell 300k within next year, but i think it will be higly distributet in AU.
    10oz i wont touch. 1kg are out of my mind as they are randomly available if a distributor orders a batch of older years.

I noticed that the AU market compared to the german market later came into the game and earlier get out of it.
    As soon as i see the german market again getting started i'll let you know. Be prepaired, this game will become hot, maybe earlier than
    you expect.

6. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Personally, I think The Perth Mint need to reduce their premium for their 2015 coins.

Having said that, I see no Lunar death, in fact...Perth's lunar coins on average out-perform common bullion bars and rounds.

Folk may wish to consider that some bullion dealers will buy back encapsulated coins at a similar price to bullion bars.

Folk must decide what their selling strategy will be for the long term.

The trick to any stacking is to not fall-in-love with a particular coin, you should be objective and....diversify to include bullion bars and other products that you anticipate "may" become highly sort after numismatic items.

Regardless of the performance of the Dragons or other nomenclature, I think those long term stacker's who purchased lunars are smiling as the price of spot drops; they are either in the black or very close to it.

Lunars are alive and well.

We must really thank Perth's designers for their efforts and of course all the Staff at Perth.

My selections for the future are...a secret :p :D

7. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

I'm just getting into them... I hope they don't die!

8. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

great,u did figure out the german market.now take yr time and try to figure out the australian market...this thread was created to the aussie market i believe

lunars are cheap in usa and i believe in some asian countries...no one is willing to pay the premium...

9. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

10. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

11. ninteno

ninteno Member

Maybe you excpect too much from a market that is since 3 years in a downtrend. POS lost 2/3 of its ATH.
    You could buy the rats in 2009-2010 on a rate between 30-40$, maybe cheaper. Sell now on a hugh profit on a
    3year decling downtrend market is not bad ? Even if you dont loose you are fine.
    The only difference between german and AU market is that AU later came into the game and earlier got out.
    All other things around these two markets i cant see a differenz.
    In my opionion its only sleeping right now, best time to get in.
    Depending on your risk level choose the older years or the newer to adjust you personlized level of risk.
    And take a long breath, investment in silver is a long therm game.
    If you are for short time, join the digital currency markets, its paradise for short term related investments.

12. dollars

dollars Active Member Silver Stacker

Hi ninteno

thanks for your comments regarding the lunar series.

Can you comment regarding the availability of the series 11 ox and tiger in the German market.

These are difficult to obtain in Australia especially in rolls or boxes and I have read that a large portion made their way over to Europe.

TIA $

13. ninteno

ninteno Member

Regarding to oxen and tigers is that what i mean with au market came later into the game.
    Yes there a a lot of these two years stacked by germans.
    Those who bought by issue have no reason to sell becuase they didnt sell on ath, so why to sell now.
    Those who buy later with a bigger premium also have no reason to sell on a loss.
    You can get rolls in germany if you are willing to pay, but it is not as easy as it was 2 years ago.
    I for myself will let them where they are. No reason to sell those.
    In the past i helped some members here on SS to get their rolls / box.
    But that all needs a lot of trust ...
    If you are behind rolls of oxen let me know, maybe i can help.

14. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Your problem buying overseas is going to be postage and currency/payment fees. I have been selling rolls of tigers for $50-55USD/coin to dealers in the US. Add international postage and paypal fees and the cost would go even more. I would think Germany would be even more expensive.

The Ox were already out when I got into Lunars and I listened to people who said they were too ugly. Because of that, I didn't track them closely.

I suspect whenever silver goes up a lot rolls of all kinds of Lunars will become available.

15. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

What sort of prices are the 5 and 10oz bu tigers getting? I've only seen one go up on ebay and SS combined in the last little while that wasn't an obvious fishing expedition.

16. motorbikez

motorbikez Member Silver Stacker

In Europe over the last 2 months the 5oz Bu tigers have made between $204-$221 AUD. There have been no auction sales of the 10 oz tigers that I can see, I'd price the 10oz coin at $380-$430 AUD at this moment in time.

17. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

That's actually not as bad as I thought given the cost per ounce on the 1/2 and ones. I've been shocked how the gilded and gemstone ones aren't popular. Maybe I'll pick up a gemstone for bullion prices one day.

18. silverprepper999

silverprepper999 New Member

How popular are 2oz lunar coins (silver)? I have opoertunity to buy few 2oz for 37eur each, are they popular?

19. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Looks like the 1/2 (smaller denominaiton) is more popular. For awhile, early on, the 2oz and 1/2 oz were neck and neck, but 1/2 has outpaced the 2 oz considerably. But that isn't necessarily a bad think...less supply, more demand? At 44+ how can we go wrong, right? I like the 2 oz. But then again, I'm probably the wrong guy to ask. I like the 1/2, 1, 2, 5, 10, kilo and heck, even the 10 kilo horses. LOL>

20. motorbikez

motorbikez Member Silver Stacker

I love them 2oz & 10oz are my favourite size coin. The best reason for buying any coin IMHO is because you like them.

Re 37 euros that is very cheap so if you fancy a few buy them you won't go wrong at that price.