Lunar Death?

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by 1for1, Feb 24, 2013.

1. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

That's some inexpensive metal there. Do they sell to the U.S. Market? There is quite a price difference from them and the dealers here in the U.S. I wonder why?

2. bigcountry

bigcountry Member Silver Stacker

I have no idea, I'm just a small retail customer, and they happen to be pretty convenient for me, and in this case at least, they happen to be really good value. You could always email them and ask I guess.

3. barsenault

Those dudes over at Ainslie are real 'winners.' Hope you Assuies aren't as rude as those folks. I wouldn't do business with them if you paid me. Seem like a shady business...no, not because they wouldn't sell to a Yankee, but because they were unprofessional.

4. Kam

Kam Active Member Silver Stacker

Would you share your experience with more details ?

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So you ordered 2013 Kookaburras and he sent 2012 again???

6. barsenault

Not surprised in the least that he put you in that kind of a bind. I could tell straight up when I got my email response from this person that this isn't the kind of company I want to deal with. I'll pay a little more for peace of mind. karma sucks. With that kind of attitude they'll be out of business in a flash...and couldn't happen to a nicer group of folks. I hope Ainslie is a member here...because they have some attitude adjustments to make. Or perhaps that just the Aussie way. hehehehe.

7. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

snake down to $29each/box of 100 and horse around $32.50...horse was supposed to turn around the series after the snake "failure"-seems like not really happening

8. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Where can you find such prices?

Or do I need to buy 500 before getting those prices? (Unrealistic)

9. Nedsnotdead

Nedsnotdead Active Member Silver Stacker

10. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

I'm waiting for the horses with bitcoin privy

11. Scyb

Scyb Member Silver Stacker

It's all good as long as its lunar death and not silver death...

12. dragafem

seems like other than ox and tiger the series is very well unloved :( spot needs to move to restore order and confidence

13. Holdfast

Here's some info that shows that "The world" loves Lunars.

Series 2 Silver

2008 1oz Silver Mouse - 300,000 Mintage Sold-out

2009 1oz Silver Ox - 300,000 Mintage Sold-out

2010 1oz Silver Tiger - 300,000 Mintage Sold-out

2011 1oz Silver Rabbit - 300,000 Mintage Sold-out

2012 1oz Silver Dragon - 300,000 Mintage Sold-out

2013 1oz Silver Snake - 300,000 Mintage Sold-out

2014 1oz Silver Horse - 300,000 Mintage Sold-out

Declared Mintage details
    http://www.perthmint.com.au//docume...nar_Silver_Bullion_Series_Two_2008_-_2013.pdf

Series 2 Gold

2008 1oz Gold Mouse - 30,000 Mintage Sold-out

2009 1oz Gold Ox - 30,000 Mintage Sold-out

2010 1oz Gold Tiger - 30,000 Mintage Sold-out

2011 1oz Gold Rabbit - 30,000 Mintage Sold-out

2012 1oz Gold Dragon - 30,000 Mintage Sold-out

2013 1oz Gold Snake - 30,000 Mintage Sold-out

2014 1oz Gold Horse - 30,000 Mintage Sold-out

Declared Mintage Details
    http://www.perthmint.com.au//documents/The_Australian_Lunar_Gold_Bullion_Series_Two_2008_-_2013.pdf

ebay sales (Sold) at a glance

1oz Lunar Mouse
    http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...RENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=7&_ipg=200&LH_Complete=1

1oz Lunar Ox
    http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...RENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=7&_ipg=200&LH_Complete=1

1oz Lunar Tiger

1oz Lunar Rabbit

1oz Lunar Dragon

1oz Lunar Snake

1oz Lunar Horse

14. barsenault

Amen to that! I love the lunar. I just bought 2 1oz 2013 gold pandas, probably should have spent a little extra and bought the Perth horse. Oh well. I think the 2013 is going to be a hit too...first with 3 pandas.

15. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Putting your faith in Spot Silver hoping that will ignite deamdn for lunars is onehope to far for me.. i think perth mint shat where it ate firstly with jacking up proof prices.. then producing 64 dragon variants.. now they cant pay people to buy the overpriced jank.. as a result their actual "good products" have suffered the backlash by association..

Stackers have elephant memories and compeition for bullion has increased.. too many other places to put your investment dollar.. also the lunar mark-ups are more than a rational deligent stacker would pay.. i hop i am now one of those not hoodwinked by a pretty picture and more quantity-centric

1for1

16. Holdfast

Fact is fact 1for1.

Please read the links in detail, (Post 14) you'll find that the Math provides outcomes commensurate with high liquidity and good longterm demand for lunars.

Have a great weekend. :)

H

17. dragafem

what would u call longterm demand? 10 years and over?rabbits are 3 years old and not much love for them.

just as 1for1 put it,quantity over pretty pictures....

im getting the feeling that holdfast has a second job working at the mint :lol:

18. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

expectation that coin with 300k mintage will rise in value while spot is going down is false
    damn even pandas dropped in price ... pre 2009 slabbed ones with ms69 can be get cheaper than raw couple of years ago.

19. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

I have some questions... foremost, no offense to anyone:

A complete series is 12 pieces, annual release. Once the entire series is done (Chinese Lunar from Rat to Pig), there will be a Series 3, Series 4. New series is not a continuity of its previous series.

When a lunar series is completed, stackers will go for the next Series. Most new stackers I know actually prefer to get into new series because they are more affordable and they are pretty much the "same" in terms of motives (Lunar Rat to Pig). Completed series will be a full series, new stackers will likely have to buy the whole collection from other stackers if they really like the design.

The Lunar series differs from ongoing series like Kooks/Koala/Chinese Pandas as the later are ongoing series without a definite "end date". It could stretch more than 12 years (like the Kooks and Pandas) and higher chance that new stackers will try to complete the set, which result in constant demand for past year releases.

Questions:
    1. I have seen Perth Mint Lunar Series 1 (bullion and glided) being put up for sale but not many takers. Does market demand dies down significantly on completed Lunar series?
    2. Give it another 6-12 years and Perth Mint will likely be running its Lunar Series 3 or 4. What happens to Series 1 and 2? Will they still be in hot demand?

Friends of mine usually buy gold and silver Lunars of specific years, mainly matching their kids' year of birth. Not many of them will try to complete the entire series. This is just my observation and may not apply to general public. I would like to hear your opinions...

20. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

1. market demand is not dying ... one should go back to 2009, mark the price of lunar and draw the line ... price spike of the series was at the same time silver spot made its highs.
    Series 1 is already developed market and they will not rise that fast as Series 2, but, BUT, those who collect lunars buy them (I know because I buy as well as sell these)
    2. Series 1 and 2 will be in high demand. Currently Investment wise series 2 offers better return in long run (coz it's cheaper than series 1) ... collection wise series 1 is more valuable. More people have stack of series 2 coins than just one of each of series 1. That's how prospective demand side looks

All new stackers start with current year, fascinated by the series and start looking backwards. Because it is boring to stay just with current year.))

P.S. There're 1/12 of population for each animal year ... so there's demand ;)