lowballers

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by renovator, Feb 26, 2012.

1. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

^ Loving the intellectual response as above ^

That said, I pay a spot value when I'm buying jewellery in, I've always been fair and occasionally pay a little more on top.

A simple rule of 'buying in on weight and W.Davis' Prices, not paying for stones apart from the overall weight of the piece.

Thats done me rather nicely so far, with my profits nicely spent on my sovereign stack in the UK.

Lowballing happens, its a fact, in other trades such folk are described as 'timewasters' (the most polite term) and its long established fact that anyone who deals with such folk are imbeciles and should be avoided.

Its nothing different here in the precious metals market.

Whether you'll sell jewellery to a gold buyers stall in Westfields, a jewellers, pawnbrokers, or a bullion dealer like Davis' or anyone else; the golden rule is the same.

If you are the one holding the metal, you make the decision who to sell to. I'd say 99.999% of the time, you'll choose the highest price.

Simple really, trade talks, and nothing else matters. We all know the market, and we all know whats acceptable. I don't dignify lowballers with a response, and I recommend others don't either. bitching about it just draws the public profile of it into the light, which gives it a degree of acceptability.

2. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Go and checkout my sales threads ,most of them say
    PRICE IS FIRM NOT NEGOTIABLE ,but still people like to send me offers ,I don't reply to them & I just delete the message .
    :rolleyes:

3. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

Beautiful coin, price range on these apparently, is between $75.00 and $7500.00. :D

4. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

Well I can certainly say the lowballers are often named and shamed at meets in Brissy. Its usually something discussed, then we laugh, and statements such as 'what a tosser' follow.

Just sayin'

5. dollars

dollars Active Member Silver Stacker

6. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

sorry double post

7. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^^^^^^^
    Great feet on the ground,finger on the pulse points made by Malachii
    People need to own their actions
    A lowball button as well ??!! FFS
    What cracks me up is when i get low ball offers and respond with a kind commentary,then get an outraged reply in responseyou know,like "Well at least its an offer,or theres no harm in asking"
    No dude your rightbut theres no harm in me telling you either.
    Low ball offers are like quietly piggy backing on someones sales threadjust not cool no matter what the intentions are.
    That said the majority of SS know how to deal using decorum and how to ask for a reduced price with manners and common sense.Its the 10%ers that as a minority reflect the whole community unfairly.

REDBACK

@DollarsRocks,pebbles,bolders?

8. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

Well,if you have to get out in a hurry,and no one makes reasonable offers,you'll have to sell to a dealer, won't you.Then see what you get.

9. silverfunk

silverfunk Active Member

someone seriously needs to register lowballers.com.au, it can be an auction site where people advertise goods and people can offer below in keeping with the low baller ideology.

10. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

The times I have sold to dealers I have received far more reasonable offers than pretty much every lowball offer I've received on here. Have yet to be lowballed by a dealer.

I'm not sure lowballers realise how much it actually hurts their credibility. There are a few people on SS I wont deal with ever no matter what price they put on their sales because of the way and price they have tried to lowball me in the past. Then they wonder why they have to keep bumping their for sale posts and are getting very few responses.

malachii

11. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well I bought 6oz from iceblue last week
    On Friday I went to a dealer & got the same $ for my 6oz :D

12. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Spot!
    Never paid less than spot for gold or silver* from anyone here. If it's premium stuff; will even pay a premium above spot if I am short of stock.

* Only exception is 50% pre-decimals which I buy below spot and sell at spot.

13. lamp

lamp New Member

I'm don't mine people making lowball offer, one thing I really don't like about people bargaining for proof items that is already 10-15% below the retail price and making remarks like "Well, I'm only looking for silver, to me, silver is silver...", if that's the case, don't even come into any sale thread for proof coins sale and make lowball offer.

14. asdfghjkl32

asdfghjkl32 Member

we need to define the word "lowball" first...

15. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

When you check a blokes family jewels, one usally hangs lower than the other. That one is the lowball.

Usually right-handed guys dress to the left, so the right ball over the years has to cover more ground, so that one is not the lowball but the highball.

I'll post some photos later.

Please do not offer any less than spot!

16. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Don't stop! Keep going with the Kiwi and the Ugg boot joke? :p

17. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

Being a lowballer is lame, but what is equally lame are instances where people have offered silver (can't recall seeing it with gold), and then when you have a look at the Perth Mint website, you can buy it cheaper from them.

18. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I agree with your statements but that is where dyodd comes into it. Just resist the pressure when you are thinking that someone will beat you to the buzz while you check prices on other sites - it has happened to me before... and i hated it!
    :lol:

19. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

dyodd works both ways. Need to be careful not to offer rationalisations & excuses for highballers (selling stuff with no numismatic value), but being unforgiving (ie: no excuses permitted) for lowballers. And ironically, after a quick perusal of the "for sale" threads, have just found a plain bar being offered for a more expensive price than Perth Mint. AND as Ainslie Bullion customers know, PM is more expensive than Ainslie's. SS should not be seen as a forum full of people who will happily pay more for an item that they could easily pick up cheaper from their local bullion dealer.

20. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

As a general rule i don't think that will happen. High premium items are regularly bumped on this site with no offers until the price drops or spot rises. More often than not the seller is left feeling ignored and the sale is withdrawn.