Future of General Discussion forum

Discussion in 'Forum News / Announcements' started by Administrator, Sep 25, 2011.

1. unfunkable

unfunkable Active Member

2 strikes? 3 strikes?
    Should be one strike. Most people here are adult age, they should know what junk not to post. If they haven't read the rules, tough.
    Adding in extra strikes only makes the burden more on the admins to 'moderate' more.

2. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

+1

3. kaz

kaz New Member Silver Stacker

It seems in reading the posts here that most of the posters are in favour of a tough stand notwithstanding the fact that peoples opinions do differ that, however, does not excuse bad behaviour regarding situations involving- racial, sexual, religious or any other area I havent covered cos the brain is heading to sleep. As GP says there are laws surrounding those areas and as such behaviour whether direct or "inciting/baiting" should not be tolerated.

4. perthsilver

perthsilver Member Silver Stacker

Move all general discussions to paid members only. That way visitors only see PM related threads which is what this forum was created for.

5. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

What is a paid member perthsilver?

I like the general discussion. In my mind at least, it is good to argue a point with another member knowing at the very least we have something in common even if we disagree about everything else in the world. For the life of me I struggle to understand how debates can turn personal and nasty when we can't even see each other face to face and don't even know each other.

I've got no solution to the problem but please don't get rid of the general discussion section.

6. silversardine

silversardine Member

I think there is a place for the general forum. Since I am always looking to expand my understanding of things outside my world I find it of value.

I don't believe restricting it to paid members is likely to reduce the issues GP mentions. Only the conduct of the individuals posting can do that. If someone wants to create a tense situation for someone they do not need a thread on climate change or evolution v creation to do it. Other ways will be found - the real estate thread has shown that. Closing the General Discussion Forum because some people don't know how to discuss sensibly seems a little like closing the library because some people don't know how to read.

A series of warnings is most likely the best way to handle this problem. However, GP probably requires a few moderators who have the authority to do this according guidelines based not only on various regulations and laws but on what might be considered to be generally disrespectful or culturally insensitive. Defining what is and isn't a personal attack is sometimes difficult but this too can be defined according to various standards. If several people agree it seems like an attack then it probably is an attack or at least an improperly worded attempt to make a point.

Matters such as a third warning and/or banning a member for a certain period should be voted on, for example by GP and 2 moderators, after reviewing the offending threads. If there is a thread that is ''watchable'' someone can notify a moderator so that their eyes don't need to be everywhere at once. However, moderators should be known to all with the tag SS Moderator as distinct from Panda Forum Moderator for example.

This would need to be balanced with the perspective that, for the most part, the forum is for adults who should be able to handle discussion of a variety of topics without being too personally offended by things they find distasteful.

7. perthsilver

perthsilver Member Silver Stacker

http://www.silverstackers.com/portal/

I like the General Discussion too, but I know how much extra work it is creating for GP also.
    I think people are less likely to risk banning if they are a paid member and new visitors are only here for PM related threads anyway.

8. silversardine

silversardine Member

The forum does have a different flavour from when I first found it some time back. I don't think it is a waste of time for people seeking metals information, but sometimes they may have to trawl through a few pages to find some of the in depth analysis that used to appear more regularly 12 months ago. However, this has little to do with the General Forum and more to do with too many threads lacking substance or being quite non-specific in the metals sections.

Sometimes I don't read a thread until it has two pages of posts, then often discover either A: that is is two pages of people saying they don't know if silver is going up or down, or B: something interesting that has absolutley nothing to do with the title of the thread. I am also constantly amazed at what makes for a 10 page thread and how topics that may not be in people's direct experience are barely glanced at.

As for the General Forum Guidelines I did read them, several times - so that means really only 395 people have read them GP, not 400. I think that General and related to PM's is a little limiting since there are so many individual forums in the metals sections anyway. I read the guidelines and saw that basically no one adhered to them. So I figured that if people can discuss hunting then I can post something on keeping animals alive, especially since there are many other related factors in that case that could be of ''general interest''.

Anyway, General is general, and if it is in the news anywhere in the world, or if a subject has dozens of internet discussion pages then that basically fits general. However, since we can't all spend all day trawling the web, or belonging to 20 forums, having this general area for discussion allows people to be exposed to more breadth of knowledge or subject matter that they can further explore if they wish to. Hopefully it will stay and people will learn to moderate themselves.

9. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

I couldn't agree more. All over the world, especially here in the States, rules, laws, regulations have been enacted that punish the masses, all because a few people cannot control themselves, physically, verbally and so forth. I would hate to see a forum who's intent was wonderful, be affected because a few people refused to be respectful. As a participating member of the topic in question I would also feel tremendous guilt though my motivation for this response has little to do with absolving my guilt and much more a plea for consideration for all the members who have used GD appropriately.

10. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

GP, do what you think is best. The rest of us will adjust, accordingly.

11. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've found the general discussion very useful in forming my opinions as I believe, wrongly in some cases, that there are more intelligent and well informed views on general topics than I can source elsewhere. I found when I joined that Silver Stackers correspondents were more than a cut above most forums I've visited.

GP makes a very valid point about personal vilification and the usual issues of religion and politics. The fact of it is that you cannot legislate righteousness, and rude ignorant behaviour comes from rude ignorant people.

Personally I find the discussions interesting, in the main, and I am opposed to censorship at any level so the occasional delusional argument or personality clash I see as more an issue of maturity. It doesn't take much intelligence to stand in the middle of the room and scream your opinion over and over. Perhaps the absence of opinions from members who were active when I first subscribed are harder and harder to find because of this behaviour.

I also think GP has done an outstanding job to date and asking him to act like the parent in an unruly playground is both onerous and a bit insulting to him.

The legal implications of the dickhead quotient is enough for me to vote that General Discussion moves behind closed doors.

My 1.76 grams worth.

12. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Your comments are like a river of reality running through a valley of misconception.
    Though I'm not sure what "legal implications" mean. There are a plethora of sites that have all kind of boards which are horrid IMO, but I'm not aware of anything being illegal or actionable. In fact Bullionstackers has a forum specifically for political discussions. Maybe it's a North American thing, like more freedom or the fact Yanks love debate and have skin as thick as elephants. Regardless of all that, the owners/administrators have done an outstanding job and are well within their rights to run SS as they see. I for one fully support any and all decisions they make.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

I think it's fair to say that as time moves on and the member base here increases, especially as the PM bull market accelerates, you're going to see a more varied range of views and opinions (and a higher rate of clash) as a natural by product of discussion.

Whilst this is a community of like minded individuals on the facet of precious metals investment, for many this will be all we have in common on many levels and even then, the reasons WHY we invest in PMs can be varied as well.

This I believe is simply part of the territory when dealing with an ever expanding community group of individuals.

The only question remaining is how it's to be managed effectively, whilst maintaining a community environment that's still beneficial and attractive to the wider user base interesting in metals discussion.

I've run websites and internet forums before and encountered the issues GP faces today - I don't envy his position at all.

But for the record, GP does a terrific job dealing with some rather 'challenging' aspects of playing moderator, administrator and referee, whilst being an active member in the community at the same time.

I would be upset to see the General discussion forum go, even though I have had several ideological, philisophical and intellectual clashes with other forums members there in the past.

Whilst there's an ugly side to be considered for any clash of minds in a (somewhat) anonymous social environment, I think it goes without saying that for all the tit for tat that can go on there creating headaches, the environment is also a wealth of information as well if you look below the surface.

We are currently moving into a global environment where things are starting to unravel socially as well as economically with a lot of fear, resentment, anger and frustration being felt by the people. It's only natural these will eventually spill over in social environments where those who are affected generally have no other avenue to 'vent their spleen' over issues which affect them personally.

The key to it all is balance in the end & mutual respect of the individual.

We don't have to all get along like a quasi Brady Bunch outfit (and realistically we never will), but as long as people can be respected enough to have a right to their view without villification, I think things are fine as they are.

We're always going to need a moderator to keep things in check (never seen a forum yet that hasn't), it's just a question of how far GP can be stretched to fill that specific niche.

In any case, it remains to be said that regardless of anyone's view, this is GP's baby and what the admin says, goes.

14. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Perhaps GP might need to go down the path of enlisting a moderator or two in order to lighten his load (obviously completely his call and management thereof)? They could deal with the petty refereeing etc with serious decision making being deferred up to him for definitive action. IF GP does seek moderating assistance from within SS membership at some time in the future, perhaps he might consider you auspm. I know moderating isn't a popularity contest but despite your popularity, you appear to abide stringently to the forum rules, have credibility, and have insight. My two bobs worth.

15. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Moderators will be happening - but just a heads up, volunteers won't be considered - long standing forum practices are to offer moderation roles to users who don't ask for the authority.

Just before anyone sticks their hand up.

There's a core group of users on Silver Stackers who will be asked to assist in nominating moderators - so please, no public nominations.

16. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

I just don't understand all the debate on this? We all have differing opinions and that is that. Heated debates are what make any forum so interesting with such a wide range of people and back grounds. Having those wide ranging back grounds is what makes the forum that much richer. But geez, it's 2012 folks, you can't go making personal attacks and religious vilification in the work force and get away with it, why would you expect to on an open forum?

You could have any number of moderators on the forum but as the forum gets larger it will become harder and harder to deal with if we as a group aren't moderating in an unofficial way to let the abusers know that it isn't welcome in our little community.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Besides what GP just said - absolutely not me.

Even offered, I would refuse.

I enjoy discussion here, I have no desire to wear a badge.

I'd rather eliminate myself entirely from any sort of discussion concerning any role I have here beyond simple stacker thanks.

I have too much history with this place and the last thing I'd want to see is a line drawn in the sand involving a mod.

18. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

Auspm,

I think you would make a fantastic MOD. Not under your user name, have a separate MOD account that no one needs to know about and put the mod hat on when required.

19. Smoothcriminal

Smoothcriminal New Member Silver Stacker

This ^^^^^^^

20. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Really? thats 2 people that said that now. Mods need to be short & sweet Aus would write an essay to explain what you done wrong. No offense aus .I believe a clear message should be short & to the point. but thats just me