APMEX Confirmed 100%!!!

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by barsenault, May 21, 2014.

1. picturefun

picturefun Member

0.5 oz white shark by PM is also shrink wrapped.

Even their so-called Mint Direct rolls that are NOT shrink wrapped are cherry picked too.

nowadays, very few U.S. dealers do not do this kind of value added business in their own shops. Gainesville did not do it before, but now they also sell graded coins. The only dealer that still does NOT do this is Downies, but they are Aussies :)

2. picturefun

picturefun Member

APMEX actually has Much MORE inventories of Numismatic coins then bullion.

As a matter of fact, they contracted from New Zealand mint and got the SOLE distributing right for some numismatic coins, such as New Zealand Mint 1oz Titanic coins, and Niue 0.5 oz dragon coin, etc.

Personally, I do a search for graded coins on their web site, if they do not sell graded ones for the numismatic coin I want, I still buy from them

They do NOT send to grading of every single numismatic coins they have, that is for sure. They only do it selectively

3. db23

db23 Member

I can only speculate since I don't have in depth knowledge about thir inventory, but I would very highly doubt this. They may have more variety simply because their are more varieties, but they sell hundreds of monster boxes of silver eagles alone seemingly every month just on Ebay - not even counting their direct website sales. And this is just Silver Eagles.

4. toorak13

toorak13 Member

i really don't get why the US buy a lot of ASE when they mint millions and millions of them

and they wont' go for the crocs or kook or koalas?

is it the premium or just perth mint doesn't get the words outside of australia.....

5. a1nipper

a1nipper New Member

Most people prefer to collect coins from their own country and there are millions of people in the U.S. that collect Eagles. Over 300 million population allows for tons of collectors

6. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

because they are nuts. I have no eagles. I'm a U.S. citizen. Maybe when the big re-set comes in the monetary world, perhaps they think the eagles will have more value because it is a U.S. backed coin. Who knows. I know all I buy are Aussie bullion. :) Limited mintage, beautiful art work, no worries about white spots, change in image every year...how more folks haven't picked up on this in the states, who knows.

7. a1nipper

a1nipper New Member

If you're willing to pay the premium for Aussie bullion, nothing wrong with that. Saltwater Crocodile is 60 cents more per coin than Eagle and Kooks are even more at JMBULLION. I am however looking forward to my first 1 kilo Kook even though they insist on sticking an image of the queen on everything

8. barsenault

Yeah, that sort of drives me nuts too...especially when I don't like the queen. I'm counting on the premium growing with these limited mintage numbers over the years. Whereas when a gazillion eagles, with all the same loo flood the market, no matter the year, I wonder what kind of premium will be made, or will it just be a bit over spot? who knows. time will tell. :)

9. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Raw bullion ASE's don't fetch much premium at all on the aftermarket from what I remember seeing last year when I was considering buying some ASE bullion. I doubt they ever will gain more than a fraction above spot. I would only buy a key date of the bullion ASE such as 1986 as this was the first year of issue for this modern American coin. Maybe I should start looking to buy some 1986's now as the design is likely to change in the next couple of years.

10. barsenault

yeah, missing, I don't have any eagles. I figure with 40 million a year, there'll never be a short supply. LOL. One of my high criteria for bullion, is limited mintage, trying to keep the price around the same as an eagle. The Croc seems to be doing a good job with this. I'll be buying a roll or two of these from Provident.

11. mmissinglink

I hope you get good rolls. I will pass on the croc because even though I like depictions of wildlife on coins/medals, that is an ugly coin IMHO and I can spend the money I save on not buying it on coins that I desire to own or low cost blobs I desire to stack.

12. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Resale value was a key determinate when I was buying. In a resale to a dealer you would recoup much of the ASE premium. I sold close to 2k ASEs last year and the premium I received from the dealer exceeded the premiums I paid when I bought the coins in earlier years. Compare that to the buy back premiums on lunars, etc. When the lunar premiums were lower, it made sense to buy lunars. Not so much any more. If you are buying without regard to the possibility of needing to sell to a dealer in the future, the answer may be different. Anything with a large bid-ask dealer premium should be purchased with caution and a long term view.

13. barsenault

Great advice dccp. When I was unloading 2k of eagles, rolls of 20, I had no problem selling to apmex or on ebay...to sell a roll of kooks or lunars, might be easy at 24 too. LOL. BUT of course at a substantial loss. So, your advice is solid and spot on! I may even switch my approach of buying 100 1/2 ounce lunar horses tomorrow and buy 40 ounce of eagles instead. Thanks for the reminder. :)

14. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

It also comes down to how much effort you're willing put in. Sure you can just unload them all to the same dealer, in one blow. But if sell small amounts at a time to the correct people that actually want them, you can get better price per coin.

15. barsenault

2000 coins, one at a time, would take a long time? I think the great part about eagles is that they are so liquid. :)

16. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

If you think the price of silver is going to decline, you don't necessarily want to spend a long time selling the coins. And selling the coins in small lots adds up to a significant amount of time and effort. How much do you value your time? When silver is declining in price, lunars have more initial downside protection giving you longer to sell them. But as the price stays down and sentiment starts to decline, lunars begin to drop in value. Notice that Apmex does not have a buy back price on the 2014 1oz silver lunars. But if they did, it would likely be spot + $4-5. Provident has a buy back price of spot + $5. Where are you going to unload a quantity of newly purchased lunars quickly without taking a significant hit. Ebay? Not in any quantity. SS? Probably, but you would still have a larger percentage loss than on the ASEs. When you are dealing in large quantities, the sale dynamics are much different than for 1-20 coins.

http://www.apmex.com/product/78058/2014-1-oz-silver-australian-year-of-the-horse-coin-sii

http://www.providentmetals.com/2014...the-horse-coin-perth-mint-lunar-series-2.html

There is no one size fits all solution for buying and selling coins. My largest business client always says that he made his money when he bought, not when he sold. You control your buy price, but your competition can affect your sales price.

17. barsenault

Excellent advice dccpa!!

18. Ag 47 Silver

Ag 47 Silver New Member

Hello everyone, first time poster, newbie silver collector. Long story short... I recently bought Austrian Philharmonic coins (two sets of 2008-current) from APMEX. I purchased the 69-NGC rated coins.

Seeing this post... should I look to return them based on the information in this thread?

19. mmissinglink

Welcome Ag47, I don't see why you'd necessarily want to return these if you feel you got a good deal. I think what Barsenault was taking issue was is that the raw ungraded coins are searched by APMEX (probably many or most). The fact that you bought graded coins would mean that you know with certainty that you are receiving high grade coins.

Nothing wrong with buying graded coins so long as that fits into the reason(s) why you are buying precious metal coins in the first place.

20. barsenault

Hey AG47, first off, welcome. And secondly, congrats on the purchase. Any kind of silver is a good one. How much over spot did you pay? Hopefully not much. These have been notoriously known to develop white spots. Not as bad as RCM's (Maples), but still, not as pristine as the Perth Mint coins. Just keep an eye out for the white spots. Be sure to store them in a dry, and cool area.

all the best.