2014 Perth Mint Crocs are blemished??

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Torcan, Jun 12, 2014.

1. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

^^^^ this ...put up or shut up :)

2. scone

scone Active Member Silver Stacker

wonder how much he would cry if he bought a Trivium, they look like they are an old boat anode

3. Gazza79

Gazza79 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Same but I got mine a few weeks ago and all mine are perfect :)

4. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

A lot of the criticism of the Croc has been over baked, but some things are unarguable:
    1---Present (APMEX, just as an example) 1oz "tube bullion" coin prices are: Libertad = $23.06; Philharmonic and Maple = $23.26; ASE = $23.76; Croc = $23.96.
    2---The only one of those coins known for condition issues worse than the Croc is the Maple.
    3---Present APMEX prices on generic 1oz rounds run in the $22.13 - $22.53 range
    4---All the other coins are minted with considerably better relief than the Croc.
    5---I don't believe any of the other coins have the Croc "extra space" tube issue that leaves the coins free to bounce in the tube around and get beat up.

Overall, the Croc condition issues (at least on the ones I got) really aren't the end of the world and I've seen worse (RCM products), but the combination of shallow relief, small but seemingly omnipresent background flaws, (from what others have said) apparent post-mint damage and the "extra space" tube issue don't add up to a good overall situation. With these conditions and the prices noted above, the Croc isn't a good buy right now.

I know a lot will say "bullion prices = bullion quality, so TS" but that's part of the problem. Out of the coins listed above, only the Maples are known for poorer overall condition. When 3 out of 4 comparable coins are better-made, less costly and known for coming through in better condition, the Croc's position in the low-premium bullion market isn't good. Though they're not competitive products, even the generic rounds are known for better relief and better condition (as well as better pricing).

But---since the Croc is a limited mintage issue and not intended to compete on the big stage, I guess it's not all that big a deal. I think this whole thing is the tempest-in-a-teapot du jour and when the new Lunars, Kooks and Koalas come out in around 3 months, today's Crocpocalypse be a rapidly fading memory.

5. scrooged

scrooged New Member

the cool change. :)

6. bloomst

bloomst Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I guess we all have forgotten how death and debt comes out...lol.

Or that feeling when we pop open the tube of maples...and let a sigh...and just shove it to the back of the safe?

7. Greg Williams

Greg Williams Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Luv it! :lol:

8. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

In defense (GASP!) of the nearly-indefensible RCM, I have to say they put out good quality plastic tubes and "monster" storage boxes. A lot of coins (pre-Y2K Libertads, Philharmonics, etc) fit into those tubes. If nothing else, they put out a pretty good storage system for coins of the right size. The Maples and other silver coins they put out set the world standard for mint damage, post-mint damage and milk spots, but at least they've gotten the storage system thing right.

9. Miloman

Miloman Active Member Silver Stacker

I am sure anyone that has dealt with me will say positive things. I am honest. You want to know about me, then click on my youtube channel and watch a video. That's me making those videos and many years as a health professional interested in helping others.

I own 6 tubes in total at the moment. I intended to organize more trades to buy more.

My aim was just 20 tubes and pick up an empty monster box to store them in. But I am stopping at the 6 tubes. Granted I'm not laying down several cases of these things. But these aren't Kooks or Lunars are they?

So Eureka Moment, how many cases do you own?

BTW I do own the SBSS series, just 1 coin of each which I very rarely ever buy 1 of something. I purchased these through Maggie and they are in very good condition. Maybe Maggie selected higher quality ones.

EDIT:
    I intend to sell these by the tube now. I was thinking of popping the tops off 1 or 2 tubes and buying capsules to put them in... which I still may do.

10. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So your screaming about them being the worlds worst coins but you havent actually looked at your own to check condition.

Clear as mud.

11. Miloman

Haha,
    Firstly how many crocs do you own?

Secondly, how many crocs do you think I've seen?

Let's give it a go smarty pants. I'll extend this to the "put up or shut up" Zimbardo Guard crew too.

12. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Member

I got my order from Provident today. The relief is low, the tube fit is really bad and the seal popped off in the box. The good news is the ends were propped up by the packing paper, so they didn't suffer too much damage. It's a bullion coin, so I'll put 2 extra in each tube I have and move on.

Whatever, at $22 landed to me, it's not an issue....

13. bloomst

bloomst Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Why do i even bother.

14. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So have you actually opened a tube to check the condition of your crocs, Miloman?

How about putting some photos up, or making a Youtube video to show us the condition of your crocs, Miloman?

15. Torcan

Torcan New Member Silver Stacker

C'mon everyone, this thread is going south pretty fast. I didn't expect the vitriol when I started it. I was just pointing out that Provident had a disclaimer on their site. Didn't expect it to become a pissing match.

16. badhammy

badhammy Member Silver Stacker

Welcome to Silver Stackers :p

17. scone

scone Active Member Silver Stacker

they have kept it clean which is a credit to them.
    Stick in a few words like swirl or square capsule and I reckon it will go to a whole new level

18. Miloman

That's a positive suggestion and I am considering doing this. Perhaps I will make another youtube channel and do this. "All Things Good" channel is just dedicated to health, wellness, and disease reversal.

What do you think about this....
    Open up 1 or 2 tubes and do a video. Do you think when it comes to resale it will affect the value? I dislike the fiddliness of selling singles and cracking open rolls and tubes. Thoughts?

In context I have seen MORE than enough of these coins now to know that the fields on lots of coins are damaged and there are enough real dog coins to justify what I'm saying as well as the general condition. The tubes, the security seal on top.

19. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There wont be any extra premium on sealed tubes because of idiots who post online about how crap they are and they havent even clapped eyes on one in the flesh.

20. Miloman

So even though I have posted to the contrary, you falsely accuse me. Who's bearing false witness?

Then you abuse me and use offensive language. Who's casting insults?

You avoid my questions, I answered yours. Who's being evasive?

I am glad you think that my reputation and the effect of my opinion is so meritorious that it will effect the entire market. If there was no problem with the coins you wouldn't see the videos, cacophony of postings around the world.

I'll leave people to make up their own minds.

Your motivation can be safely assumed. Me I prefer honesty even if I incur loss.