1ST COIN OF NEW SERIES ( "Lunar Skulls" )

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Luker, Nov 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If we have to wait 12 years to get all of these, I think I will give up before the series is complete.

2. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

SilverPete- My Ebay Showed 8 Sold in 1 Hour before I went to bed shortly after you took those screenshots. They took off fast! I was surprised there was only 50 on Ebay

3. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

Well I went to bed with these being sold at 89.00 and now there selling for 129.00 and the sold out? Not a bad nights sleep!!

4. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

Yup, this certainly wasn't a decision you were alloud to sleep on. :p

5. Razz

Razz Member

Nice coin indeed i wonder what the rooster or rat skull looks like :)

6. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

everyone buying in on a nice sketch of a skull. Emphasis on the word SKETCH.

this is going to end in tears, you can not engrave that kind of detail.

[​IMG]

7. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I'm starting to wonder what the true demand is, or did we at SS pump this issue up to the point where First Coin Company makes a statement like this? Afterall, I have to imagine that we bought 95% of the proof issue, yes? The true test will be what the demands is outside of our community, after all, if anyone goes to sell, we need demand from more than just our community. LOL. Oh, and I'm assuming that the 2000 mintage for the BU is only 1,000 U.S., and 1000 for Asia and Europe. Still a small supply.

Date: November 24, 2014 at 2:05:21 AM EST
    To: Bob Arsenault <[email protected]>
    Subject: Re: r u sure?

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your email.

$750 is correct price for extremely high demand coin with low mintage just 500 and 250 only for sales in USA.

Price for BU we might will increase very soon as well.

However you can use discount code THANKYOU to get 3% off.

Best regards,

8. barsenault

Great point, and I think most of us took that into consideration. It's the reason I limited my purchases to 5 (only got 4) What's the worst that could happen? Spot goes to zero, and these sell for a bit more than spot? Oh well, that's why I said from the outset, it was a gamble without seeing the real thing. I think most of us understood this reality. I'm tempted to but a few of the BU, but won't, simply because of the point you bringn up. I don't mind holding the bag on a few, but not many. Now, if it turns out that the image is better than expect, which I'm not sure is possible going up against a SKETCH as you say, then we should do pretty well. But at this point, all of us are speculating, without seeing the real thing.

Fingers crossed.

9. Bullion Baron

Bullion Baron Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I don't think anyone is expecting the level of detail seen in the sketch, but do think the design *could* convert into a lower detail image and still look great. It could end in tears. Will have to wait and see.

10. Razz

Razz Member

So now i know First coin company is full of shit a 90 dollar coin for 750 oh 3% discount thanks so much how u mean pump it up by the forum
    got some bu versions lets see

11. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

You take away the shading from that sketch and you're left with absolutely nothing to engrave (given the depth restrictions you have when working on a coin).

Can't get the depth needed where the horns curl over, can't get the depth needed for the eye sockets.
    You're meant to design a coin with the engraved sculpt in mind, this has very clearly not been done.

12. barsenault

The idea is a great one. Obviously the demand is there for a twist on the typical lunar series with the happy animals. Now if someone can really capitalize on converting that image on a coin and make it a wow factor, I think they're on to something. But to your point, how does one go from a sketch to a coin, and still make it look as good...hence why I'm sticking with just 4.

13. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

I think we will do all right! We just keep them pumped up to be the best thing ever and then when get them, sell them if the suck lol

14. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

I wonder if first Cohn company has a buy price?? I will sell them mine for a cheap $600

15. Luker

Luker Member

New "LUNAR SKULLS" series 2015 Ghana 5 Cedis Year of the Goat 1 oz .999 Silver High Relief Coin
    November 24, 2014
    Author: K.Paul Sankey

"...Son-Montuno has been exclusively an eBay storefront up till now and has been operating since January 4, 2000. He has built up a clientele based on trust and has almost 6,000 reviews with 100% feedback. Now with the explosion of Lunar series coins the past few years and there relative popularity with the obvious winners like the dragon, snake and even the horse, Son-Montuno saw an opening with the lack of great designs for the upcoming goat/sheep lunar theme. After some research a lunar goat skull felt unique and seemed to be what collectors would want the 12 coin Lunar Skulls series was born. His vision was brought forth by himself, his partner, and the many other components it takes to sculpt a metallic piece of art. This release is also launching SMmint as a brand: Son-Montuno mint...."

http://newcoinreleases.com/new-luna...of-the-goat-1-oz-999-silver-high-relief-coin/

16. db23

db23 Member

Remember FCC is a member here, he is likely following this thread very closely.

17. ninteno

ninteno Member

Antique finish coins should not to become a proof coin. Make no sense to me.
    If you need to gamble for a short profit stay away from this proof.
    If you could not resist go for the BU and sell as soon as possible for a 50% profit.

Lots of antique finish versions pop up since the hype started with the hedgehog.
    No more takers for this coin and a lot of money was burned with the sweet liitle guy.

Any takers ?

18. Luker

Luker Member

There is a point to be made about the low mintage. Can anyone here think of a 1 oz proof silver coin that has been released over the last 20 or 30 years with such a low mintage? I have a few coins from Pitcairn Islands and Niue that have mintages of ~ 1500 to 2000. Also have a Mongolion 2014 Chiingas Khaan 1 oz silver proof with a mintage of only 1000 (but there is also a "colourized" version with a mintage of 1000). I can only think of the 1998 (KEY DATE) 1 oz Libertad with 500.

Yes of course some of the larger coins have such low mintage numbers (ie. the 2oz and 5oz Silver Proof Mexican Libertads) as well as the 1 kilo Silver Proof Perth Lunar Series , but any other 1oz coins?

Cheers,
    Luker

19. db23

db23 Member

Rwanda Wildlife Proof coins come to mind, and that's only taking 5 seconds to think about it. There are probably tons of them.

Edit sorry, noticed that the mintage on this one is 500. So Rwanda is double, but also not an exclusive release - so their hands aren't tied to just being able to mint what they can afford to with cash on hand. ;)

20. jazzy988

jazzy988 Member

If I may draw a comparison. I thought the Niue snakebite coin turned out pretty close to its "sketch" with the "details / shading" and all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.