1ST COIN OF NEW SERIES ( "Lunar Skulls" )

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Luker, Nov 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Razz

Razz Member

Gatito Bandito Poco Credibile u know a lot about this coin at least it seems who are you trying to convince !

2. Luker

Luker Member

..hmm you just gave me a great idea for another coin series (there is a thread on another Forum :Ideas for New Coins) .

a series of 12 coins ...ape shiite, bat shiite , and horse shiite would be the first 3 coins of the series.

( It's important to be able to recognize the different types of animal dung in some countries as an adequate source of cooking fuel.. )

Sorry, magickookaburraride but I couldn't resist , as I haven't heard anyone use the term ape shit for some time, and it brought back memories..

Cheers,
    Luker

for the record, I think that paying that kind of money ( Anything above $250 ) without seeing the final coin firsthand, is a bit silly as well.

3. magickookaburraride

magickookaburraride New Member

I bet the agreement between the German mints and the African countries involved teams of lawyers , accountants....months of negotiations ...etc

This....

"Son-Montuno is pleased to announce the first coin in our new series, "Lunar Skulls". Working closely with SkullCoins.com, US based tattoo artist Kiana Roo from KangarooPawTattoo.com and under the strict authority of the Republic of Ghana, SMmint (SMmint.com) brings you a new twist on the classic annual lunar theme. "

Sounds more like a phone call to Ghana promising them a case of Levi's and a couple Iphones if we can use your counties name on a coin, be interesting to see what the " Strict authority " consisted of.

4. magickookaburraride

magickookaburraride New Member

Haha, yeah...maybe I will call up Congo and get them to ok the series....the guy who engraves and laser etches my AR lowers can produce incredible stuff...I don't think high relief dung coins are out of reach. :D

5. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Myself? :lol:

Honestly, I have no affiliations with anybody. Make of that what you will.

I simply have too much time on my hands, and tend to do way too much research & thinking, sometimes going gung-ho almost to the point of obsessiveness. Believe me, it's no fun being trapped inside my head sometimes. :(

Plus I'm just sort of excited about this coin. Sorry!

Don't worry, it'll wear off soon enough, as I move onto the next shiny thing..

6. Razz

Razz Member

Iam convinced bandito dont be sorry passion for what u do is good thing .

7. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Good one. Love it. And probably true. Levis', iPhones, some Nike sneakers. What does 'strict authority really mean? Someone should email Larry, one of the partners. I think he's sick of me bugging him. Anyone up for it? Like what does this Ghana legal tender really mean.

8. Gatito Bandito

How about this, from Apmex..?

"Product Details

Since 2014, the 1oz. Rwanda Impala has become a staple in the African Wildlife series that started in 2008.

The Impala is a beautiful animal named from the Zulu word for "Gazelle." The obverse of this magnificent coin displays two Impalas crossing through the African plains with a topographical map of the entire continent of Africa in the background. Very intricate detail makes each unique feature of this coin prominently visible to the holder. The reverse displays the official seal of Rwanda and the currency value of 50 Francs. Part of a very popular series, each coin in the series is only minted until the next coin is released, making it exclusive and ensuring low mintages.

The African Wildlife series is minted in Germany by BH Mayer's mint Kunstprageanstalt Gmbh. Mintage is currently unknown."

At least with the Goat Skull, we know who the artist is & what the mintage is. ;)

9. db23

db23 Member

Ummm - do you realize that they did exactly what Perth did to make the Gods coins? Why would we just take Perth's word for it that they'll only make 1,500 of each god coin? :rolleyes:

10. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Most of you already know I guess, but it's still interesting:
    89$ - 50 sold
    99$ - 10 sold
    109$ - 5 sold
    129$ - 5 sold

BANG!

I know that the end coin will be maybe a disappointment as some were disappointed with e.g. The Werewolf. But I spent more money for much worse things. Maybe in the end I will be sorry I didn't order more...

;)

11. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

You are absolutely right Bandito and it appears as the one or two members here who are foaming at the mouth with pitchfork in hand at this coin are just jealous they didn't catch the sale early enough. :)

I find it most bizarre that these same folks tend to condemn a coin based on their own personal subjective feelings rather than any meaningful legal distinctions between two coins that happen to be approved by different official authorities for the sale by private entities (whether for sale by a private mint like the Perth Mint or a group of private investors).

If these angry folks' gripe was based on their view that a coin's design is very poor and ugly as hell, like the Perth Mint's 'Dogs of Olympuss' coins, then there's nothing wrong with that. :) To each their own in terms of aesthetic appeal.

But so long as a coin is officially authorized by a governing entity which represents that country whose name is minted/(printed) on the coin, it's a real coin!...like it or not.

12. Gatito Bandito

If you check the individual purchases of that final listing, you'll see that only 1 (the last) was sold at $129 USD.

The prior 4 were $119 USD.

Looks like son-montuno is currently testing the waters with a couple 7-day auctions for one of each..

13. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for the correction, I didn't click on the details. :/

14. Gatito Bandito

On paper, at least, it's really not a difficult thing. Come up with an idea/concept & some upfront cash, hook up with an artist & a private mint -- and there you have a round. Use your existing distribution network (or put out some feelers to expand it, as it seems some of these guys in this community tend to run in the same circles) in order to hawk it at the retail level. Happens all the time.

Additionally, take it one step further & hook up with a government -- and turn that round into legal tender.

Again, on paper it's pretty simple. It's actually doing it, hopefully sucessfully, that makes it a little more complicated & obviously involves certain connections, as well as other parties like a lawyer or two, for example. ;)

Anyway, I suspect we might learn a little more as the coins get closer to official launch, and the 2 son-montuno websites become "live."

Perhaps some of these bloggers or YouTubers or whatever might get to interview those involved with the coins, at some point. Personally, I'd definitely love to hear more details about the whole process, and assume others would, as well.

15. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

I think the people that bought them are the optimistic people and the ones who caught the wave to late tend to be the pessimists... I only bought one and that's all I was wanted to gamble on. It's a gamble and I bet 89.00 on the skull!

16. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

With buying any silver product...there's risk, doesn't matter if the product is a Perth Mint bullion coin or a coin minted by the Sunshine Mint and authorized by Ghana officials...the real value of the product is by-and-large determined by the buyers and if you are the one who needs to sell the PM bullion coin and the buyers only want to pay you a price that is less than what you paid for it, then that's all part of the risk.

I learned this lesson like 3 decades ago when I went to sell like 2 small books of old stamps after I looked them up in a Scott catalog and thought I was going to make a handsome amount of money. Surprise, surprise...the value of them or any sort of asset or collectable is only what buyers are willing to pay.

17. Gatito Bandito

This could take years to play out. We only have current info & a very brief history to base our decisions. Who knows what the future might bring, good or bad. It will only become more clear in hindsight.

If the artist were smart, they'd have done a royalty deal based on revenue. :D

10 more just sold, $129 thru $149 USD..

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&item=371197951402

18. Gatito Bandito

This isn't minted by Sunshine.

I think it's safe to say that "SMmint" = Son-Montuno Mint.

19. db23

db23 Member

SMmint is just a company name, he's not physically minting the coins. He'd have a real mint doing that.

20. Gatito Bandito

Thanks for the clarification of my poorly-worded post.

It's been my assumption that he's outsourced the actual physical minting to an unnamed already-established third-party mint, and, as you pointed out, SM Mint is just a brand, per se.

This kind of stuff happens in all sorts of industries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.