1ST COIN OF NEW SERIES ( "Lunar Skulls" )

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Luker, Nov 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Yep, lowering the proof, while raising the BU to more in line.

Which is just one more reason why getting the BU now might not be such a bad idea, after all.

If the hype & interest continue to grow/sustain, then the 2016's will be interesting.

Odds are, higher mintages -- and higher initial prices. The latter especially for the proofs.

Both of the 2015's could do rather nicely over the years. As you said, probably not $750 nicely, but nice enough.

Unless, of course, the mint turns out garbage, LOL. :(

(Sorry for the splash of cold water.. :D)

2. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Funny that you say that about the quality. I actually mentioned to the owner, "the only reason that makes me leery going with the proof coin is due to the shiny areas showing imperfections like white spots vs a matte finish." And he responds saying, 'yeah, can't guarantee against that. let's hope and pray.' So, when I bought my 4, I held my nose. :D They really are on to something with their philosophy. He shared it with me. They want to fill a gap of having a high quality, low mintage, fairly priced, unique stamp. Let's see what they bring. I think the first one looks good...or should I say the drawing does. To get that actual image on the coin, let's see. Kind of sucks that we have to wait a whole month to determine if it is a thumbs up. It's the only reason I'm holding off buying another BU. Unfortunately I may miss an opportunity to buy more at these lower prices, especially if the quality ends up being amazing...but if not, then what? Holding the bag? My risk tolerence is about 4 or 5 of these, until I see the proof in the pudding. All the best to those who bought!!

3. Luker

Luker Member

I haven't purchased BU versions of any coin/rounds for some time, but your arguments (especially barsenault) convinced me and I just picked up 3 of the BU version from First Coin Company for $209 US for the three including free shipping and apparently no import fees into Canada. It just took me 5 minutes to register on the site and pay. (Ordered 2 of the proofs early this morning from eBay).

Cheers,
    Luker

4. Gatito Bandito

I'm sure they at least do a test-press first. Do a few to see how they come out, then make any necessary adjustments.

And even if the quality isn't 100% top-notch perfect, there's still a lot going for it. Such as: govt-issued legal tender; 1st-year; high-relief; unique cool design (even if it doesn't translate as well as it could); low mintage; engraved serial # & COA; mint-encapsulated; no leaders/royalty; and finally, part of an ever-changing series, which, odds are, should go for at least 12 years, if all goes well.

It is a gamble. But I think it's a calculated risk in our favor. I'm a big believer in Ag diversification, everything from old & new, slabbed & raw, lower-premium & higher-premium, blobs & coins/rounds, etc. And these Ghana's are just another part of the Ag portfolio. There might be pleasant surprises along the way, as well as some disappointments -- with different cycles & hot/cold streaks & what-not. Diversify & take advantage of any opportunites along the way, and one should do pretty well, overall.

Anyway, we should do fine with these.

I'm now eagerly looking ahead: Monkey skull! :D

5. Bullion Baron

Bullion Baron Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Does First Coin Co offer option to pay by credit card without using PayPal? Tempted to grab a few BU's too...

6. Luker

Luker Member

Yes, I used my Visa Card for the transaction.

7. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I got in on the frenzy just before they sold out of the proof version....picked up 1. When I get the BU version, I'm going to First Coin Co like Luker did. I have had excellent customer service from First Coin Co since my first purchase with them 2 years ago.

Monkey Skull will prob be cool. I'm eagerly awaiting the Rat Skull! Rats rock!! :)

8. Luker

Luker Member

son-montuno listed on eBay an additional 10 proofs at $100 and then another 5 at $110...there are 3 of the latter available as of now (12:12 a.m. E.S.T.)

Cheers,
    Luker

9. aussiesilver

aussiesilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I grabbed a few of these earlier,interesting to note,that two references to websites made by the seller dont exist. SkullCoins.com and SMmint.com

10. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hmmm, that is strange.

11. Gatito Bandito

Not yet online, but assuming they will be closer to the official launch of the coins.

Both sites were registered in the past couple months..

http://www.whois.com/whois/skullcoins.com

http://www.whois.com/whois/smmint.com

12. Gatito Bandito

Per eBay history:

10 proofs @ $99 each got gobbled up in 11.5 minutes

5 more proofs @ $109 each then got gobbled up in 13 minutes

The latter price = 22.5% increase from original $89.

13. jazzy988

jazzy988 Member

First in series and low mintage (be it proof or BU), cannot go wrong. Already going for US$129. Those who bought at $89, are already making almost 50% profit. Now we only hope the quality is up to par.

14. Gatito Bandito

Anyway, I guess it's safe to assume that they now have more than 50 proofs up for grabs on eBay.

Definitely don't blame 'em. :D

Do you think the BU is allocated at similar percentages?

15. Taz03

Taz03 Member

Missed out on the proof frenzy, so I just ordered 2 BU from son-montuno (ebay). Let's hope the coins are as good in real life as it is in the picture.

Anyone knows if it comes with capsule? Didn't think it was mentioned in the listing.

Cheers, Taz03

16. Bullion Baron

Bullion Baron Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

FCC says: Package type includes Special capsule

But that could be something they are providing. Would be disappointing to spend US$70-90 and not receive it in at least a capsule...

17. Gatito Bandito

Per First Coin Co., they are encapsulated -- assuming at the mint (ala Perth, etc.)..

Given the nature of these, I couldn't imagine them being shipped raw, and having the dealers put them in cheap flips or something.

EDIT: Link not working

18. aussiesilver

aussiesilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They just sold another 5 for $129usd each. At the rate they are selling them and the increases involved when they do,the last 5 should go for A Million Dollars each :D

19. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

Yeah, not sure why I use it . I have the worst mouth while talking but am overly reserved on forums :p

Anyways I'm amazed at how quickly this coin took off, glad you guys were so convincing that I picked a proof up :D Now I just hope it looks awesome.

20. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Saved for posterity, the listing before I left for work this morning:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.