Free junk silver / melt value calculator (US + Canadian coins) — feedback welcome

80percentsilver

New Member
Hey all — built a free web tool for pricing junk silver and melt value, thought this crowd would be the right people to sanity-check it.

Quick example of what it's for: a standard $10 face-value roll of Canadian quarters (pre-1967, 80% silver) works out to 6 troy oz of actual silver — about $547 CAD at today's spot. Most people have no idea their old change is worth ~55x face.

Handles US 90%/40% coins, Canadian 80%/50%, war nickels, sterling by weight, and mixed bulk lots, live spot in USD and CAD. Free, no signup needed to use it.

80percentsilver.com

Would love any feedback, especially if I'm missing a coin type or something's off — happy to fix it.
 
I think that we're mostly Australian here and the site looks to be catering for US and Canada. I use the Kitco "ScrapIt" free app, which automatically adjusts for prices and currency changes, so I only need to enter a coin weight and purity and it always retains this info. So I only need to open the app and it instantly displays the spot price of a gold sovereign or silver shilling etc.

I'm thinking it would be nice to have an app that you could enter the dollar price of something and it gives you the number of silver shillings needed to equal those dollars. I'm guessing this might be handy if we ever needed to resort to barter when shopping.
 
Eh fair enough there bi, yea definitely geared towards CAN for sure. Now that's a good idea, how many shillings to grab groceries or pay rent. Now we're talking. I'll check out the kitco app!
 
Back
Top