When SHTF

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by footycard, Apr 27, 2012.

1. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

I think QLDSILVER has it pretty much sussed DBP :)

Just watch, wait, and learn how to pick locks. :D

2. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

3. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

This is true, we can band together and help others when they are in need, and others can help us when we are in need, but it all falls apart when everyone is in need. Then unfortunately, it's dog eat dog. Be prepared to eat dog. :eek:

4. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Do you have a scenario in mind where everyone in the entire country is in need at the same time ??

I can't think of one.

5. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

I better pack some tomato sauce in with my SHTF provisions then :D

6. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

Woof?

7. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

I guess most people have been watching the Walking Dead then...

I watch that, and I know I'd be alight in a SHTF situation.

Don't really need to write a page long rant about it.

Am I the only one who seems to think the forums improved since the death of GD?

8. DanDee

I think the most likely scenario would be when there really isn't enough left to share. Sadly, that's when you will realise your true nature.

9. DanDee

Easy to say when the only time you've been confronted by a horde of brain sucking zombies they were on a screen, very different in real life.
    It could happen, it happened to me. :eek:

10. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You've been to Tasmania I take it

11. DanDee

You're just as bad as RhythmDoctor! Tasmania? if you're going to make up a place, at least make it sound real. just because I haven't been to some imaginary place pulled from your nightmares doesn't make what happened less true. :mad:

12. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Sorry but I'm a bit thick and need things laid out a bit more clearly.

In what scenario would Australia not have enough food, energy (eg coal), steel etc for all of the population ?

13. mmm....shiney!

Have you read "Tomorrow When the War Began?"

14. SULLA

SULLA Member Silver Stacker

mmmmm!!!

How about MAD MAX?

15. DanDee

It doesn't have to be a case of not having enough, we have "enough" now, but lot's of people in Australia are hungry.
    It's more a case of not enough to satisfy everyone.
    If you think you don't have enough to satisfy yourself and your family, you will become less likely to share what you do have.
    If you think you and your family will suffer because of any sharing you are inclined to do, you will stop sharing.
    People don't share enough now, why would this change when things become tighter?

People living on welfare may have just enough to survive. When the welfare stops, they will have less than enough to survive.
    Something as small as an end to the dole may be enough to start a scenario in which there is not enough for everyone.
    actually, not even that dramatic an event, it could be just a wide spread perception that things are going bad that could set off such a scenario.
    you seem to think (I may be wrong) that " not enough for everyone" means that everyone will not have enough.
    There will always be those that have not enough and those that have far more than they need. The " not enough for everyone" I'm talking about is the " I would like to share with you, but" I don't have enough"
    Not enough for everyone means not so much that people are willing to share.
    People are very limited in how much they will share. Some idealists believe that if we (Aussies) see or hear of someone in difficulty, homeless, in danger or even starving, we
    would gladly share what we have to help them. This is only true in a very very limited respect.
    MOST Australians, and in fact most people worldwide are far less willing to share if it comes at a real cost to themselves or their families.
    A small shift in the small amount of those who are willing to share, would rapidly bring about a scenario where sharing was a thing of the past and grabbing what you can became the norm.
    Please don't tell me you'd share what you had, if you thought you didn't have enough.
    People don't do that. In fact very few will share what they have even when they know others have next to nothing and they have much more than they need.
    These are not just random ramblings, but, unfortunately, facts.

16. samboyellowsub

samboyellowsub Member

I almost clicked say thanks, but I didn't want you to think that I appreciated the entire post. sweep your own doorstep before you complain about others' etc ... thanks for the first line though :)

17. samboyellowsub

samboyellowsub Member

too bad you don't have standard sized PVC pipes because 1 1/4 inch pipe fits PERFECTLY a D-Cell battery. ultimate slug.

18. scone

scone Active Member Silver Stacker

not a very nice picture of Australia being painted here. Since when did Aussies stop looking after each other? I must be living in a different Australia. I have left my imaginary island and travelled extensively across this lovely land of ours. Never got shot at with any orange guns or any other home made weapons. Found plenty of food, pumpkin's everywhere. Even asked for peoples assistance, of which people were always willing to help. It's amazing just how far some people will go to give assistance. SHTF scenario is more like loosing my ability to look after my family through accident, illness or even death. Not a total break down of world order. I stack for entertainment, recreation and a damn good nest egg. Not to trade silver rounds on a famine ravaged war front (don't know where or when that ever happened)

19. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5qqfsQGYus[/youtube]

Note the 100 dollars in gold... A key part of any survival kit, since WW2 pilots were issued with it, not sure if they are any more...

20. mmm....shiney!

Dunno sconejon, maybe we never really cared in the first place. For example:

[​IMG]
    Source: http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/Lookup/4524A092E30E4486CA2569DE00256331

I know as a kid growing up, I didn't care about anyone else except myself and my family and maybe my friends. Now, I care about my friends more than I used to, but it's still me and my family first.

It's sad to see farms in drought, but I don't really care from a personal perspective (only an economic one), it's sad to see road deaths of people I don't know, but really, to be honest I don't care. When people lose their homes because of natural disasters it's sad, but I don't really care, if I really did care I'd still be sad about it now.

It's a myth Aussies care about others. We care about our family and friends and maybe neighbours close to us, but we don't care any more than say Bangladeshis do. And they have more natural disasters than us.