When SHTF

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by footycard, Apr 27, 2012.

1. scone

scone Active Member Silver Stacker

SHTF = armageddon
    Lets hope it doesn't happen on a weekend or public holiday. My stacks in the bank

2. Byron

Byron Guest

Good point, personally i'm in favour of self-imposed law, order and discipline in bad times. Excellent examples are the Japanese (recent tsunami example being a great lesson to others in how to act in times of chaos), and to a lesser extent the Germans and Scandinavians. In older times the British too kept calm and carried on with a stiff upper lip. Today the younger British generation has degenerated considerably from the glory of the Empire days.

Also except for Japan, most of these countries are no longer homogenous societies, but mixed up with people from the third world-who have very different cultural and behavioural traits.

We were also a great nation once, when neighbours looked after each other and a sense of community existed in the cities.

These societies rarely descended into outright chaos.

This is what we should be looking up to. Unfortunately though how many people think along those lines, these days?

3. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's everyman, woman and child for themselves in Australia right now. Just wait until there isn't enough to go around and it's game on for real.

4. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

well, that's interesting. do you believe that retaining your moral compass will somehow make you less of a target in a desperate situation? this doesn't seem to make sense to me. I would think that the moral-less mob would make a bee line for the targets that were easy, those that were honest and moral enough to not arm themselves rather than those immoral buggers that didn't hesitate to grab a weapon. I'm sure the moral -less will not be surprised when they come under fire, after all, defending against attack is why they stole guns in the first place. Will you be surprised when the moral-less attack the moraled? ( moraled? is that a real word?)

5. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Nugget..My head says your right but my heart says your wrong.

Will Australians forget that united we stand, divided we die.

Regards Errol 43

6. Byron

Byron Guest

Sad, very sad.

I think i'd prefer military rule and dictatorship rather than shtf chaos.

7. Nugget

I feel the same way Errol.

8. scone

I wouldn't worry about that to much errol. Us Aussies are good at looking after each other in times of need. It makes us Aussies looking after our mates. Lest We Forget

9. Byron

Byron Guest

I'd say most over 60s would have this attitude, they are my favourite generation, and are most often in my experience polite, kind, friendly, honest and helpful.

Perhaps some over 50s, however i doubt that's the attitude of most people in their 30s and 40s.

Definately not with Gen Y. The more is see of this generation the more i despair.

10. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

SHTF scenarios as painted above are just paranoid BS

The only circumstance that might produce such a thing is war (and only if the war is physically located where you are living) and famine.
    The likelihood of either in Australia is practically zero.

Other than that, life still goes on for people, even in the poorest countries.

Any sort of 'financial catastrophe' would be short lived and adjustments would be made fairly quickly and orderly.
    Every day life would go on. Perhaps not the same life you were be used to, but life would go on.
    People kept living through the depression in the 1930s.

11. scone

Mad Max is real

12. Ag-ness

Ag-ness Member

I wouldn't worry too much about people agreeing with him. I can see that much of the enthusiasm is a not very veiled attempt to thoroughly take the piss.

13. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Its posts like this that makes me miss GD . Your a character footycard . Go outside & shuffle around &i'l deal with you later :p:

14. silversardine

silversardine Member

The actions of a few ...... ......boundaries.......etc....

15. footycard

footycard New Member

It was the best plan I have come up with incase of,
    as I said, a natural disaster or something. yeah, War was on the forefront of my mind but I didn't think i needed to
    bring up such an extreme scenario as that would also imply that I feel another nation is a threat.
    so to kinda be politically correct I used natural disaster instead.

I do have morals, I have no need for a gun but to protect my pumpkins, I grew 'em, you get 'em on my terms, not yours.
    you don't have enough for me to be interested in your possessions, i'm a self reliant type. in ramming the coin shops,
    I don't expect the coin dealer to be alive, if it was war, or the earth turned on it's side, I don't know who's who on the outside,
    so that's what I meant about networking, finding your neighbours ect, banding together and surviving as we work out what's going on. at the same time we will need a nice stack, if it's gonna be looted by enemy soldiers anyway, and they won't know what tim tam's are.

16. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

The SHTF scenario may be a little far fetched ... but I dont think that its consideration is without merit here in these uncertain times we live in.

I remember how people were worried when New Years Eve 2000 was approaching .. will the power and computers keep running ? ... lets stock some extra groceries and water just in case ... turned out to be a fizzer, but makes you think.

Also think about how people go a little overboard and stack their trolleys full just before Easter .. and how thats just a 4 day weekend. Let alone when a natural disaster (eg cyclone etc) is looming.

So what happens when we get closer to Dec 21 2012 - How will people react? Will we again see panic buying at supermarkets etc ?
    I for one, would hate to need something badly from the supermarket in mid December, only to go there and find the shelves stripped.

So I will probably get a few extra bits and pieces for my pantry beforehand to tide my family over just in case.
    The old boyscout in me says be prepared .... just in case.

And as for the SHTF scenario or any natural disaster, I think the flooding in Qld showed us how as a country we band together and help others in times of need. I would like to think that the good old Aussie can do spirit would prevail in the time of a crises (be it natural disaster or man made SHTF) rather than the selfish behaviour we seem to see more and more often.

Just my 2c.

Au-

17. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

punkin chunkin ? :D

have a plan for this scenario there are still some good places to hide in Australia :) and stay self sufficient for the most part

18. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

I made a decision recently to be only interested in me and my families needs and not to give a stuff about anyone else's. This is because there are more than enough people out there who don't give a stuff about me, so I might as well join them.

A number of factors have made me realise that it is stupid living your life for yourself and for others that you've never met. One example, and it sounds petty but it is still an example is that there is a lot of debate about the construction of a major coal port near to where we live. One of our customers is opposed to it, whereas I am not. He was just a little disgusted by my stance. I said we gotta pay the bills somehow and if this project is stopped, it will be the third major project that has been halted because of public opinion in the last 3 years. He doesn't want to see coal ships lining up on the horizon when he looks out to sea. I told him I don't give a stuff whether the residents of his small town (Emu Park) can see coal ships or not - because we won't be able to see them in my town. And that was a fair enough comment in my view because people in Emu Park have never given a stuff about what happens where I live, so why should I care about what happens to their town?

19. Nugget

+1

If the majority of people are NIMBY's and you are the martyr then your community will have the Nuclear Power Station, the dump, the Nuclear waste dump, the desal plant and the prison.

20. Dirtbikepilot

Dirtbikepilot Active Member

What do you think silver will do? What should I buy?

Thought we should bring this back ontrack , sounding to much like a GD, I even noticed some posters have personalities, a big no no...