When and how did YOU discover silver?? Share your stories!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by lynsilverbullion, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Don't tell too many people! Rarely do people take free financial advice, mostly they think you are a bit dim but when silver goes up in value everyone will remember you have it!

It is never too late to start being paranoid!

2. plata

plata Member Silver Stacker

Feb or March last year, did not know about silverstackers at all, just a local dealer in the city with big premiums. IGNORANCE! It all started as one of my brother's clients was selling his car to buy silver, it was going to the moon, etc. looking at charts it was going up, so first kilo $1200, a week later $1300, then find out about Peter Davis much cheaper
    Then coins- 40 ASES at $51 each- yep still painful. ASES were going down to $48- another 40, $44-another 20 and so on- did not know about krooks or lunars. Still got the coins from that company based in Qld.
    Long story, Thank you SS for opening my eyes, still not remember how I got into this site a year ago.
    Now waiting for my tax return... :)

3. Bazil

Bazil Member Silver Stacker

:eek: OMG! I dead set thought i was the only remotely young person on here

Well I'm also 21 and I started looking into silver a few months ago. Got some old 50's and pre decs off my grandfather. I knew they where worth a bit and didn't really know why they where, so I looked into it and of course the silver content was the reason.

I looked a bit more into silver and found out that you could Literally Get a BAR of SILVER!!! I found this rather epic so I got a Perth Mint 10ozer off eBay for a gigantic premium as all good fools do.

So then I got a bit of each type of silver like minted bars, poured bars, 1oz coins, More 66 50's. Every Google search for silver products lead me to Silver Stackers threads.

I started to read more and more and finally decided to join up! totally uncharacteristic for me, this is the first forum I've been apart of. :cool:

Also in my searchings I found out you can easily melt this fascinating shiny metal! :)

I don't really share the same mentality as a lot of others on here, in the way of investing in silver and 'Silver to the Moon' :lol: but I love to collect old silver bars and I really enjoy reading and talking about silver.

4. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

NOPE ;)

Some of my first sales were to a young couple 18/19 ,I sold some $10 silver coins to a 18 year old ,I couldn't give him a beer ,he didn't go out on weekends & get off his face
    The stackers are getting young & younger these days ,Redback's son & father come along to the meetings ,CK's kid comes along to the meetups & bids on auction item ;)
    I think certain stackers are bringing they're kids along to the meetings just to bid on item's ( I can't bid against a kid )

5. Bazil

Bazil Member Silver Stacker

Thanx! :)

6. silvstack

silvstack Member

during the subprime crisis i panicked and sold my meagre holdings of stock and bought silver. a couple of years ago it had moved up to almost $50/oz and i was astonished and started to read more about silver, especially max keiser.

and only then did i find this wonderful forum which would have spared me some impulsive purchasing. for better or worse i've been buying too much for my budget on the way down - some things smart, some stupid; so i've learned something - though i'm not sure what. perhaps i learned to buy a bit in moderation over a time period. perhaps i learned not to trust some emotional impulse as if silver is on the brink of exploding.

7. smeagol

smeagol New Member

i started stacking about 6 months ago and i'm 23... bought some gold and silver off the perth mint after randomly bumping into a youtube video about money... soon enough a mate of mine refereed me to the Mike Maloney keynote, and since then i've stopped wasting my money on luxuries and pretty mich bought gold and silver bullion...

shame i didn't find bout this stuff earlier... i bought an investment property a year earlier... oh well at least it provides cash flow, otherwise i woulda spent the whole heap on this stuff...

8. samboyellowsub

samboyellowsub Member

Ah so that explains why only about 6 weeks ago you were baffled as to why someone would ask more for a 1991 1/2oz gold Panda than a 2012 1/2oz gold dragon that you saw online somwhere! :lol: Just teasing you, mate - all good.

That's about what I bought as first purchase (30 oz of Engelhard and J+M) and that's also the dollar amount I spent, $150. Except I really paid less because mine were 90's dollars, yours were 80's dollars :) Anyway, yeah that's how I started. My dad made me do it! Also, my grandmother gave me (real) silver US stuff including quarters, dimes, dollars. I took a look at the Washington quarter that I received at the age of 12 and wondered how it was any different from a modern quarter that looked the same to me. Started with coin collecting, then bullion then WTF silver is $8? screw that! - then no buying for 10 yrs, then WTF silver is $17? Then lot's of buying.

9. zachary898

zachary898 Member

THUCYDIDES79 showed me the path of the righteous! being 19 at the time and not really caring for pm's he managed to convince me to buy some silver after showing me a 10oz Perth bar, I was hooked after holding that shiny lump of metal.

First coin was a 1oz American eagle, which had a chip in it, so he managed to weasel $3 off the price.

My stack has been forever flourishing ever since.

TipRat.

10. Neways

Neways New Member

I started paying closer attention to the monetary system when I was transferring money one day. A humble comment echoed through my mind, "What am I transferring?". After a week of doing my own focused research on money's actual value and where it comes from, it felt like I had decyphered the Matrix code, you know? Catching a glimpse of the real world through the curtains of 'mass make-believe', doing their job hiding the true powers at work. I also learned about banks and their connection to the monetary system, designed to expand perpetually.

This time around I was also able to give my gut feeling much better structure and answered my own question, "What am I transferring?". Sad truth, I am transferring fiat currency that has been spent about 30 times already by my own 'entrusted' bank. The little bit of cash that I can physically get a hold of is worth as much as the newspaper that I use to wipe my ass with when I run out of shit tickets. Yea? Get your camp fire started with it ... much better.

So, I was thinking ... I need to start investing in something that can not be printed or manipulated and came to find precious metals. One thing leads into the other, silver.

11. HedgeMetals

HedgeMetals New Member

I was first introduced to silver as a store of wealth in the mid 1990's after reading a book written by the late Larry Burkett titled The Coming Economic Earthquake. So my wife and I bought some US junk silver coins.

12. perthsilver

perthsilver Member Silver Stacker

That's exactly how I did it.

Bank stopped lending me money to buy property in 2003, so I started paying them down and investing in shares to save for my next property, but life got in the way, then the gfc happened and I heard kiyosaki talking about his new rich dad advisor. Bought Maloney's audio book and researched some of his examples then went to Perth mint and bought a few kilos in early 2010 . Found this forum a few months later and bought a few rolls of tigers of AEL. Been buying every 2 - 3 months since.

13. gazzahere

gazzahere Member Silver Stacker

afternoon all,

I got here from gold. I was a prospector and I realised that the nuggets I was picking up were waiting several millions of years just for me. - So, this stuff wasn't going to rot away - surely it must be good for a million or more from now - and I only needed it for say 50 years at the most.

I also realised that humans had valued it for thousands of years. I recognised that if one day standing at some Roman ruins, if I had a pocket full of silver or/and gold and someone waved a magic wand - transporting me back in time - although I might have the wrong clothes on - I could in fact survive - using the pm's.

that's a pretty enlightening experience.

what else could you carry with you enabling you to survive at a time in the future (or past) that was almost universally accepted? 'Nothing'.

Just on that alone - stacking silver or gold is a very good idea.

Another thing I realised is that if I had been trading pm's since I was young - consistently -- I would indeed be very wealthy - just from that alone.

Just buy when it comes your way and is cheap and maybe sell when you get a good opportunity and keep a little aside (stack) --------- it would be amazing how much you could stack away over a few decades ------------------------ and

It is 'always' saleable ------------ it would be a rare time in history that you couldn't either monetise some of your pm's or trade for something you want ----------- I know of almost no other asset that comes with qualities like that.

Not shares, bonds, real estate, other hard assets ------------- only pm's (and industrial metals - but they are even bulkier than silver).

there is also the 'feel' of it ---------------- you can have a few hundred thou or a mil. in cash in a box or a bag and it feels 'ok' -- but it just doesn't compare with lifting a cotton bag with a few kilos of gold or several kilo's of silver in it -------- there is just something dammed nice about the weight of it.

Even if you only have a few kilos of silver - it is very nice to know that no matter what happens to the world overnight - in all likelhood, you will be able to eat and survive for the next weeks or months - whether your currency collapses or whatever - you can always eat.

The only other thing that guarantees that is a garden or a store of food. Nice.

have a great day all

gazza

14. hihosilver

hihosilver New Member

:cool:

15. Au.Ag.Mzch

Au.Ag.Mzch New Member

My first venture into silver was in Feb 2010 (i was 23) when I stumbled upon a silver MLM company, where for every four ASEs bought (either by myself or my sponsored downline), I'd receive one free ASE. Worked out costing me $49/coin with the $US exchange rate paid through a credit card - not good when the spot price was low $20s. Did it for 2 months then cancelled it due to financial problems.

Then I subscribed to the Daily Reckoning and a few other email services and started to get a base of knowledge. In Jul/Aug 2010 I tried to run my own feebay business - bought a roll of 2010 Kooks from BB, then tried selling them individually. After about the 10th coin I realised that I was spinning wheels and so I stopped feebay - but sensed that I should *hold* onto my remaining Kooks.

Fast fwd to Jan/Feb 2011 and I bought a roll of 2011 Kooks and ASEs. Then in Apr I had the good fortune of receiving a decent sum of $$$ which I put into another more ASEs, 1oz gold, and a few 1kg PAMPs. By this stage I had read Mike Maloney's book and was heavily watching Youtube videos and other alt media (and logging in to SS almost everyday :) ).

Since then I've added a few 10oz bars and some gold (<5g) here and there to my stack, but nothing major. TBH since Oct/Nov last year when both gold and silver got taken down, I haven't really spent as much time as I used to following the daily spot price (mainly due to not having much spare cash to put into PMs). I think that the thing that I find most valuable is the 'epiphany' that comes with seeing the world in a completely different light, and being more switched on and clued up about what's really going on in the world.

16. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

Great point!

17. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My way came because of the internet -> my Dad's inbox and email from my great uncle Larry in the United States -> forwarded Richard Russell's newsletter. A few gestative years for the notion of gold as having 'intrinsic value' to percolate - still hadn't bought an oz. Also took longer than most to learn to surf the net. Then came the mind blowing essay by Douglas Kanarowski - 'Seventy-One Approaching Forces for Higher Silver Prices', then financialsense.com and the essays and talks by Jim Puplava, then essays by Ted Butler on Investment Rarities website.

I bought my first silver Kilos in Brisbane in a breathless state, and a few times sat at my desk fantasy acting out handing over one or two of the kilos for a modest house in the very near future, lol. Kilos were under $300 ea, which included a $40 margin to spot,

If it were not for the internet, I'm convinced I would not hold a single oz of precious metal - for better or worse. Think about that in relation to growing millions in China and India et al going online - a point that Mike Maloney makes.

http://silveriswealth.com/78reasons.htm

http://www.321gold.com/archives/archives_authors.php?author=Richard+Russell

18. Goldhamster

Goldhamster New Member

I started buying Silver in 2001 when I ran out of money buying Gold.

19. Silverbullet08

Silverbullet08 New Member

My supervisor at Pluto LNG got me into it... before meeting him, my goal was buying 4-5 houses over time, paying them out and doing it slowly...
    he told me his story - buying 400k worth of silver around $13-15 per oz.... i met him, and he suggested i looked into precious metals, which i never really knew about
    after doing my own research i took the plunge and bought my first 1400 oz.... and been stacking since. , my supervisor to the day, never sold 1 bar, and has also been stacking
    although hes made soo much off his purchases.
    He changed my outlook, and ive also been spreading the word since... and the more i bring it up, now lately, the more im hearing stories from ppl i know, bout their friends doing the
    exact same already....
    Eyes are starting to be opened ;)

20. mikedm

mikedm New Member

Geez how DO you offload 400k of silver when needed?