When and how did YOU discover silver?? Share your stories!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by lynsilverbullion, Jun 22, 2012.

1. lynsilverbullion

lynsilverbullion Member

Just thought it might be interesting to all share our stories!

When did you discover silver and start stacking PM's (year or age you discovered it)?

How did you discover it?

Do you have any regrets and what would you do differently?

Ok, my story is....

I discovered silver at the age of 21 in 2012.

I discovered silver through a friend who had a friend of his friend (ie. a friend of a friend), who told him about silver earlier this year in feb and why it was such a good idea to start buying silver. The friends friend of my friend started buying heaps and then my friends friend starting following his lead and buying, and so my friend told me he also wanted to start buying and that I should start buying some too. I spoke to my friends friend and he explained why he believed silver was the way to go, and so after my friend bought some, I guess I went 'baaaa' and like a sheep I followed the other three in their silver buying. So I started accumulating 1 ounce here and there until I was proud enough to call it a 'stack' (my mini stack)! No joke - thats how it happened!

You know, before this enlightenment in february 2012, I didnt even know what a silver coin looked like! In fact I thought silver could ever only be in jewellery, never thought it was sold as coins! Never knew what 'spot' price meant, never new what 'bullion' meant (lol seriously!), never knew that there were 'bullion dealers' apart from people who sold jewellery, and never even knew that you could even invest in silver and gold! I thought its price was determined by jewellers only! So yes, I was a sad sad case a few months ago! But...now... I know everything!! (well...almost)

I think I'm doing well for my age but I definately dont have any where near as much as all you oldies out there! lol :D

So there, I'd like to hear your stories too!

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I came at it from coin collecting, I couldn't understand why there were no shillings in my change from before 1952. (Shilling were circulating as 5p coins in the UK until 1990ish)

I saw some Shillings from the 1930s at a boot fair and they were really expensive, well, more than 5p anyway.

Didn't really get many until I came to Australia and tried to put together a circulated decimal set and couldn't find any 50 cent coins from 1966.

3. Diablo21

Diablo21 Member

I started 1 year ago this week! I've been buying pretty much every week since then. Have reached my goals and then multiplied that by 6 :D

But my first silver purchase was way back in 2007, I bought 5 maples for $17 each from eBay after I bought 2 oz of gold maples for $750 each. I don't really know why I bought these coins back then, it wasn't for investment, I think it was just for fun and that's why I forgot all about them for the next 4 years (the silver ones, I sold my gold for $1,300 each a few years later). If only I had half a brain back then, I could've accumulated a heck of a lot more au/ag by now.

Oh well, live and learn....

4. mike titanic

mike titanic New Member

Wow thats amazing!If only we knew then what we know now.My own stacking started in 2009 when someone offered to sell me a tube of eagles at spot,about $18/oz at the time.They looked so lonely on my dresser that I had to buy a few more tubes and it hasnt stopped.

5. silverfunk

silverfunk Active Member

I got into buying precious metals just after GFC in 2008.

My parents had suggested I put any spare cash into Gold and Silver as my mothers words were "it will always have value", my folks are big on gold jewelry and sovs.

Would I do anything different? not really, I treat Gold and Silver as insurance..its liquid and easy to flip if you need cash.

6. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

This ^

7. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

About 12 months ago after I finally googled to find a gold/silver merchant in my hometown (there's only one who does it as a side part of their main business).

Only regret is not searching for merchants earlier in 2009 or 2010 when I first started studying sound money via the Mises Institute etc. (And waiting until last month to officially join the silverstackers.)

You are doing well for your age (I was 34 when I first took the plunge). Anyone born since ~1965 hasn't ever lived with non-fiat currencies through their formative and adult years. Even then you need to have researched and thought about the whole concept. Funny enough my mother was actually a gold trader way back in the early 60's before she came to Australia and she never mentioned it as an investment (and still doesn't).

W.r.t. your friend of a friend of a friend experience, by talking openly about the merits and occasionally showing people the physical products I have managed to get a couple of mates to take the plunge. Spread the word - especially the merits of individual liberty, free markets and the role of sound money in both.

8. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Started investing physical metals in Nov last year when a good mate showed off his 10oz dragon silver BU. I was like DANG! must have it. :D

since then, it becomes an addiction.

9. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth,
    I still eat from it, just have more spoons.

10. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Addictive - DEFINITELY!

11. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This sounds like an AA meeting :p

I started about 3 years ago & I blame

ALEX JONES ,but I can't be bothered listening to him anymore ;)

$30 KROOKS from Downies as a first purchase when spot was around $20 :D

12. null

null Member

I think I was watching maxkeiser late 2010 when he was raving about buy silver crash...

I was a complete virgin in metals then. So I quickly googled a bit and found abcbullion in Sydney. But I didn't know what to buy, so I researched a bit more. I ended up walking into ABC and bought 2 1oz PAMP silver bars to start. I thought, what can I loose, I really was interested in seeing what all this silver thing is about...

Went back to the office and admired the bars, and then, there I realised why they are precious.

They feel heavy, and good, something meaningful, compared to the plastic notes I used to buy them with.

13. Lunarowl

Lunarowl Active Member Silver Stacker

I started May last year just after the very first POS plunge. My very first piece was the 500gm Pamp mirror :D
    ..but after a while started get side tracked into collecting numis as POS went through roller coaster..

14. null

null Member

Oh, yEAH, those 500gram PAMP stares back at you and says "you know you want more of me, go on...."...

15. Emanance

Emanance Guest

I only just started this year with few 10 oz Dragons and 10 oz bars. That said it had been my intention to start stacking since the GFC and all the alternative online finance pundits like Max Keiser started talking about it. "When I've got some spare cash." I told myself. Something I've learned is If you wait until you have spare cash, you never get around to it. Hey, but when you do finally get around to it, you always seem to make sure you save the money to keep stacking:) My biggest regret is not taking advice from an old investor who was big on gold mining stocks back in 1999. I was a computer tech then and helped him set up his portfolio on comsec when it first went live. He told me to get into gold and if I couldn't afford that. silver was as good for a working chap. He seemed to know what he was talking about back then and History proves he was right on the money.
    What's a funnier story is I can still remember when I was kid, not even at primary school yet, My granddad took all the grand kids to the Jondaryan Woolshed in Queensland, and I picked up a piece of old coal from one of the old steam engines they have there. My granddad who was always good for a joke, told me if I buried it in the garden back at home and left it there for 50 years it would turn into silver, and 100 years for gold. Maybe that's why I didn't take that old investors advice:lol: Maybe that was my granddad's way of telling me to go long:p

16. Fykus

Fykus Member Silver Stacker

I started last year when i was 23. Its a long story but basically i wanted somewhere to invest and then eventually stumbled upon silver. Got all excited thinking silver was gonna go "to tha moon" and saw that it had hit 50 bucks an ounce a few months prior and so i rushed out and got a loan to buy some around 40 dollars an ounce.
    Needless to say, soon after the price started dropping. woops
    oh well, im still stacking, buying bars and whatnot now after having purchased numi's when i first started (which was a bad decision in retrospect but oh well live and learn).
    Learning more every day. Considering getting a SMSF cracking some time in the near future i think.

17. billyo

billyo New Member

I started about a year ago.
    I started to take interest in the situation the world was in. After having a unexpected chat with a like minded work college, he advised me on researching silver. I did some research and can now say I'm a stacker, but i still have a lot of research to go.

Bill

18. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes :D
    But he got me here ,so I'll only throw small rocks at him :lol:
    Not big bolders :lol:

19. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PxACWuJLiU[/youtube]

No.

He's here to energise the human spirit.

20. hihosilver

hihosilver New Member

my way was via Kiyosaki = Maloney = SS = Aurora Et Luna and beyond ;)

it's amazing how a little more than the usual fluctuations in the price brings out more interesting SS threads than the past 4-5 months :cool: