We Got totally cleaned out whilst away O/S

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Kawa, Jan 11, 2015.

1. danman49

danman49 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I am very sorry for your loss mate. I hope they catch them and manage to get back your items. You had an amazing collection of bars and if you could give some sort of list I am sure the forum can keep an eye out for them. Just glad you and the family are ok.

2. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Very sorry for your loss. That makes 4 in the same area;

Mickroy
    rbaggio
    Lunty
    and now Kawa

If it were a random break in and the safe wasn't the initial intended target they still would have taken other valuables while they were at it. They knew exactly what they were doing.

I would be getting in touch with the others to see if there were any similarities

3. darkclark

darkclark New Member

shit that's cruel, thieving bastards. sounds to me like its a professional team but getting their targets from somebody in the silver scene which also means that its unlikely that the bars will surface in their current state. don't know how easy it would be for crooks to melt and recast without industry help?

4. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Just got on to this site hoping to see new threads and found this....Sorry for your loss Kawa, hope those S.O.Bs rott in hell and be caught soon.

5. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Very sorry to here this, I wish you recovery. You'll come through.

6. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

If you have a list or photos you might be surprised how helpful local dealers/pawn brokers are. They have to hold and picture the stuff they buy. If your silver is pretty unique you might get a hit.

I would call around and fax email all the places in your yellow pages.

If they've broken into a 500kg safe they probably have the wherewithal to not sell it straight away or sell it elsewhere but never estimate the greed of people like this.

MARK AND PHOTOGRAPH YOUR SLIVER!

7. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Very sorry to read this, Kawa :(

8. Bigfella

Bigfella Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Even with a PO Box your not safe.
    I had identity theft of my wife done and it was the fact that we had a PO Box that we halted them from getting a new credit card that had been ordered by contacting the bank and reducing the limit and they then after following you to your home wait for the postman and nick the new card before you get home etc.
    People like this work in teams!!!!
    1 gets your card number by looking over your shoulder at Coles ( or somewhere ) the other follows you to your car and then signals another to follow you home, they will also have another to get your pin ( so ALWAYS cover that when you put it in) and it keeps going.
    We had it done while living in Airlie Beach and it was only that it was a small town and that we knew the manager of the bank. She informed us of the way they scammed and also that Airlie Beach was a hot spot as there was so many tourists that pass through and were easy targets.
    This never makes the papers as the bank does not want you to know that they screw up and issue new cards to people after you ( well someone who tell them its you ) lowers the credit limit and then can get their hands on a new card and then the new pin.
    The world we live in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banks aren't the answer as if the shit hits the fan they close their doors and you can't get to your collection. Private vaults are the way of the future.

swoydaz likes this.
  9. excalibur

excalibur Member Silver Stacker

I too am sorry to hear your news.
    Looks pretty professional - I once considered a home safe, but how do you trust the installers?? So to me it had a security flaw from the get go.
    Off site is the best.

10. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So sorry to hear this, it is very devastating. Hope the Authority can catch those bastards.

11. No1joey

No1joey Member Silver Stacker

Sorry to hear. Hope you had some form of insurance?

I am sure you are doing your due diligence and contacting all gold and silver buyers Australia wide, email them a list of what you had stolen/serial numbers if any of those items are rare it should be easy to spot.

Keep an eye on ebay etc. They have to turn up sometime.

12. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

Very sorry to hear about this Kawa.

Very true, anyone living in the area should probably make their trade feedback private (large number often means decent stack) & seek a vault or make arrangements to get your stack away from home.
    They sound very well planned and they seem to know where big stacks are.

If there is a positive to take from this, at least you and your family were not home when these scumbags returned with their equipment.
    I hope greed gets the better of them and they slip up, you had a very unique collection, hopefully you have some photos you can distribute to dealers and the community.

13. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Ouch was it covered under insurance?
    To go to that effort for safe only means it's what they where after, safe could have been empty think they would grab other stuff as well.
    There does seem to be treachery afoot in Qld
    . More than usual

14. stacknowlaughlater

stacknowlaughlater Active Member

Wow man. I would be in complete depression if that happens to me. I only have a few hundred ounces but then again I'm a broke uni student...

Does anyone know a secure location to store my precious metals where I can pay a one off fee in Sydney?

15. tozak

tozak Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Very sorry to hear, that's terrible news, seems no safe is big enough if you are going to store at home (best vaulting instead and just keep a couple small bits to play with)

Likely it was just a random when you think of it, when you look at how many Stackers on the site it is bound to eventually effect Stackers.

However as others have all ready pointed out Similar MO and in Brisbane, to me sounds like organised crime. These were not some drugies looking for a quick hit, maybe there were the first to break in but they soon tipped off some hard players once they located a safe. Probably several off them, even a spotter to check the neighbors were out when it was time to jackhammer. Surely it's about time now QLD Police appoint a taskforce to crack down on this, I would love to read the next break in and safe job actually be a sting operation and offenders caught!

16. billybob888

billybob888 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I am truly sorry to hear your devastating loss.

17. robertc400

robertc400 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Really sorry to hear, hope they get caught.

18. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Possible, but not necessarily.

If there are multiple partners involved, which it sounds like it is, then there could easily be zero matches.

And if it is linked through here, trades across AUS state/territory & even country borders could potentially mean nothing. Think like a criminal, and you'll see what I mean.

Though obviously cross-referencing should probably be done. Understand the "random" aspect of it, as another poster mentioned, given the nature of it all. But also seems like too much of a coincidence to ignore?

If these guys keep at it, they'll slip up somehow & eventually get busted. All one needs is a key yet perhaps simple piece of info to make that connection. They sound like "professionals" who know what they're doing, but even pro's screw up somehow at some point.

Kawa, sorry to hear about the incident. My suggestion is to keep working with whomever, and however, to catch these thieves. You never know when, where & how that one piece of info will come about.

Your unfortunate circumstance is not to be in vain, though. I think it's a strong lesson for all of us. Yes, we can be mindful & take certain precautions. But ultimately, multiple off-site secure locations seem to be prudent & optimal. When one hits a certain (low) benchmark in their stack/collection, whether it be dollar amount (numismatics), weight (generics), or a combination thereof, it's time to act.

I vaguely recall hearing about it, but could somebody quickly explain the bleach thing?

19. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Perhaps.

Or they may start to surface, maybe as a trickle, years down the road.

Possibly in another part of AUS. Or the world.

20. stacknowlaughlater

stacknowlaughlater Active Member

If some were serial numbered I don't think they'll take the risk of someone identifying the number and therefore will most likely melt them.