Wanted to buy and offers - Get real or Get out!

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by malachii, Oct 10, 2014.

1. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

Might want to hang around with your ears open and mouth shut before you start telling the forum what it is. First step, read the page header. Top left. "Silver Stackers - Discussion forum for those who love to stack precious metals".

2. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

In theory but not in practice. When the metals were peaking, eager sellers of metal appeared in droves seldom to be seen since, lol. They'll will be superb indicators of a top when they appear with their wares again.
    And I don't love metals, on the contrary, but I haven't been booted off yet

3. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

spot -5%: u buy at today price $1400-5%=$1330 spot drops $100 by the end of the week ,the coin u bought turns into spot+2.3%.... just saying

I was offered less than spot by a dealer for $200 gold coin :rolleyes:-did not get upset just said no thank you :)

like renovator said,both sides of the argument has value...and if malachii values this forum(seems like he does) he should have been a silver stacker at least ;)

4. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This topic usually comes up shortly after a new influx of people joins, usually when spot it going up or down.

It is usually followed by a thread on how it isn't nice to take advantage of newbies' lack of knowledge when selling them metals.

And then one about not comenting in people's sales threads.

It usually ends up with the same realisation, Old timers shoudn't be dicks to the newcomers, newcomers shouldn't be dicks to the people who have been on the forum for a while and people should just stop being dicks to each other in general. Which is a pretty reasonable outcome.

All the threads help bring the topic to the forefront as it is something that isn't often talked about but is assumed to be common knowledge and practice. At least by reading the thread you get to realise that there are many varying opinions on how to do business on the forum so it opens your eyes to the fact that not everyone has the same trading ethics.

The forums are not just about making money from buying and selling, witness the number of questions newbies ask the old timers on good shops/dealers to buy from, how to store metals, how to clean them, how to hide them, what not to divulge to families and friends, what to look out for, new releases, how to spot fakes etc. People are taking time out from their day to respond to questions they have answered hundreds of times before, posting links to previous relevant discussions, answering questions by private mail and giving their opinion and knowledge free of charge and in a timely manner.

If they come across as being p'd off then it is only because they have seen this all before and what it can do to the forum, we have seen people leaving in disgust, getting banned, sub forums shut down, threads closed, people having to be warned and all because people have engaged in behaviour which the majority of the other members found offensive. This all happened before the latest round of new people arrived so it isn't their fault but those who don't remember the past are destined to repeat it etc. etc.

I don't sell so I don't get offers and when I buy I generally don't argue over the price, I find that many of my past trades contact me when they have new items they think I might want and I pick them up before they even hit the forum.

5. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I feel honoured :p But I doubt I'll ever attain the heights of signature notoriety gained by SammySilver thanks to Court Jester's obsession and unrequited love.

6. long88

long88 Member

hi all,

what started as a joke turns out to be 2 pages of reading and still continuing.. (and a couple of unhappy people)

i have seen people advertised buying gold @spot, and thinking why not try to advertised at spot -5% (silver @spot -10% hmmm)

obviously there hasnt been any one who wants to sell @spot - 5%, which is what i am expected, but not this type of discussion though.

this is now seems like getting personal. so if i stir anything bad, i would like to apologize to the one offended (malaiichi ?) i know you make a living from selling this stuff here. but it seems like the one who have the capacity to say buy @spot is the dealer only (which is widely accepted everywhere).

move on guys. there is nothing to see here. people put out things for sale / buy, and it is up to the seller / buyer to determine their prices. not these type of arguments.

7. Miksture

Miksture Active Member Silver Stacker

Congrats

I am glad your Bachelor's degree and piloting career taught you to make incorrect assumptions. I love your saying however:

1. It does not apply to me
    2. It is trite and is not actually true.

Anyway, what you are saying is that you should be educated, experienced and smart enough to get what I have said. You know you could be running your family business better but you are not really interested in growing it rather you would rather just lazily make your small body of customers earn your respect while giving you their money. That is an idyllic business model. Sorry to have come along and disturbed your peace with my money.

Anyway, as this is degenerating into a personal disagreement I don't see much point in continuing. The arguments are here for people to decide as they will. And other sellers who do not want my money, please do post in support of Malachii here.

8. Miksture

Another falsehood. I signed up a short while ago. I have been here for quite some time prior. It is nice though that you want to stick up for your friend.

9. Miksture

Thanks for the comment smk762. Look I have been here for a number of months, I just signed up to start buying recently. I have read much of the forum and found that the uniform underlying motivation to come here was to stack silver for personal benefit or for the benefit of those we leave behind. When I said "enhance [...] personal wealth" it includes many reasons, including protecting wealth from war, economic collapse, investment etc. I am have excluded stacking precious metals because they are pretty. Sorry to those guys.

Why do you stack pm's?

10. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

long88,

There was certainly no personal offence taken. This is an open forum and it is certainly not for me to suggest or dictate in any way what people list and at what price.

My comments were just to suggest another viewpoint of how to buy/sell in this industry that some people may not have considered and the repercussions. I knew I would probably cop a bit of flak and to a degree, rightly so. I should also add that my comments were definitely not directed at you.

malachii

11. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

I stack for a few reasons. One is mistrust in banks and stocks. I believe PMs are a good way to store cash that might otherwise be spent on consumer goods. In the past where I might have put cash in a savings account, I now put it into PMs. Each pay cycle, the day before pay day, I convert my left over funds into PMs, or put it aside for larger PM purchases to reduce the overhead of postage and paying higher premium on smaller quantities (I tend to avoid anything under 10oz silver or 10g gold).

To me, PMs are the inverse of credit cards. Very easy to buy now what you can't afford and worry about paying for it later. Also easy to convince yourself that you need something you don't have because you've got the cash lying around to buy it. The process of having to convert PMs to fiat in order to buy something I want makes me evaluate each purchase more analytically.

I keep my credit card balances low. I survived without one for 30 years, but found out that strangely never having debt doesn't help your credit rating, so now I have a couple to build it up.
    One of the intentions for my stack is to back my credit. I try to keep my stack value roughly equal to my credit limit, and my credit balance roughly zero. This creates a self-perception that when I use my credit cards, I'm actually spending my stack, which acts as a deterrent to frivolous purchases. It reinforces discipline.

If it goes to the moon, good. If it goes sideways or down, I'll stack on. One day (and I have a few decades of patience here), there will be an optimal intersection of rising PM prices, and declining property prices. If/When this happens, I'll trade my stack for acres.

I do like the look and feel of precious metals. The weight alone is confirmation that it is a tangible asset. As the stack grows, it gives me peace amidst the chaos of uncertainty. I prefer my safety net to be something more substantial than numbers on a screen.

12. Miksture

Thanks for your feedback. I know I am very forward with my opinions but that does not make me rude or overbearing. I am sorry if my logic makes you uncomfortable.

My broad statement was about the buy/sell part of the Silver Stakers forum. I should have made it clear. There are parts of the forum that are more for sharing about the subject and generally talking about economics and the market and all sorts of other things. I mistakenly assumed that when I said "Customers" it would be clear that it is referring to the buy/sell part.

Please understand that my tone was based on the way that Malachii posted initially. He was high-handed and arrogant and lumped people like me into the category of "low-ballers". That was insulting to begin with. So, he spoke for you with "brash and ill informed statements" against other forum members but you were OK with that from him.

Cheers and no hard feelings.

13. Miksture

Thanks for that smk762. You have put a lot of thought into your stacking. I like the way you paralell your credit card exposure to your stack. That appeals to me. I also like that you are stacking as a savings strategy, thereby preventing loss of wealth to needless consumer spending.

Cheers.

14. Belvedere

Belvedere Active Member Silver Stacker

Thank you. No hard feelings this end either.

Cheers. B

15. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

OK - I've ignored the jibes and imaginary assumptions you've made about myself and my business procedures but I need to clarify this.

At no stage have I lumped anyone in any category. I posted a suggested alternative thought strategy for people to think about. That was all. I spoke for no other members and never have presumed too. To accuse Belvedere of having someone speak on his behalf with "brash and ill informed statements" is below both him and yourself. There was no accusation meant in my posting although I can see how the final sentence in the OP (Get real with your expectations or Get out) could be construed that way and if it was then I apologise to all members of the forum.

I think we all enjoy a "full bodied" discussion about alternative views and I for one learn a lot from it. Please do not denegrade a fair and frank discussion with accusations and insults.

malachii

16. ghost rider

ghost rider Guest

Lowballer Stackers forum at times

17. SpacePete

Cranky about anything in particular?

18. ghost rider

ghost rider Guest

Hi m8 I'm definitely not cranky thanks for the assumption.
    Why do you ask do you have a guilty conscience

19. SpacePete

Haha, stop acting so pissy. Was just wondering why you bumped this thread. I'll be on the lookout for anything you put up in the sales forum so I can lowball it :lol:

20. ghost rider

ghost rider Guest

Well mate it's seems to be the norm these days so go for it.
    I won't piss on your parade.
    Have fun and all the best to you.